Plateau

Options
Hello, Everyone! Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

I have been on my weight loss journey for the past year and three months. During that time, I have lost 65 lbs, 15 lbs before registering for MFP. I consider myself a success story and am really happy with my progress. However, I have been facing a plateau for the past 5 months. No matter what I do, I am stuck. I work out 6 days a week (spin classes, Zumba, running--my new-found love). My calories range from 1700-2300. I eat clean most of the time (80/20) and do not drink alcohol. I do drink lots of water, at least 7 bottles a day (16.9 fluid ounces per bottle).

With all that being said, what suggestions do you all have to help me break this plateau? Should I consider seeing a nutritionist? I still have about 30 more pounds to lose before maintenance (this puts me at the high end of my weight range for my age and height).

Again, thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal weight, the less margin of error you have. You need to be much more accurate in your logging in order to ensure you are eating at a deficit.

Are you weighing and logging all of your food?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Are those your Net calories? Meaning, do you enter and eat back the calories "earned" by exercise?

I couldn't eat 1700-2300 Net and lose. I am at a healthy weight (in the middle of the "range" for my BMI range.) I have to Net 1400-1600 to lose. I mean, obviously you and I are not alike, but if I were to maintain on 1700-2300 Net and I knew my logging was accurate, I would cut a couple hundred calories.

In other words, you have been eating at Maintenance.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Doesn't a Plateau mean your weight doesn't shift at all? I'm just asking because reading the info in your profile you have continuously lost weight or gained weight over the last 5 month when you say you've hit a plateau. In March you were 191lbs and August 182lbs so you've lost 9lbs, so again is that a plateau? Or do you mean you're not losing as much or as fast as you'd like.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie intake? How are you measuring your exercise calories and how much, if any, of them do you eat back?
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    She's lost 65lbs so I'm pretty sure she knows how to measure food and calculate calories. I'd bet 20lbs of bodyfat it's a new "set-point".

Persistent metabolic adaptation 6 years after “The Biggest Loser” competition

Of the 16 “Biggest Loser” competitors originally investigated, 14 participated in this follow-up study. Weight loss at the end of the competition was (mean ± SD) 58.3 ± 24.9 kg (P < 0.0001), and RMR decreased by 610 ± 483 kcal/day (P = 0.0004). After 6 years, 41.0 ± 31.3 kg of the lost weight was regained (P = 0.0002), while RMR was 704 ± 427 kcal/day below baseline (P < 0.0001) and metabolic adaptation was −499 ± 207 kcal/day (P < 0.0001). Weight regain was not significantly correlated with metabolic adaptation at the competition's end (r = −0.1, P = 0.75), but those subjects maintaining greater weight loss at 6 years also experienced greater concurrent metabolic slowing (r = 0.59, P = 0.025).
    Conclusions

Metabolic adaptation persists over time and is likely a proportional, but incomplete, response to contemporaneous efforts to reduce body weight.

Biggest Loser is extreme but every diet that doesn't break the pattern of caloric deficits does the same thing. If your RMR drops 200-700 calories below where it should be according to weight it will without a doubt cause a plateau.
    For those curious on the math that 200-700 cals a day is 20 - 73 pounds a year. It is a significant issue.

The best thing you can do on a plateau is take a break. The longer the plateau the longer the break needs to be. Get your metabolism moving up ASAP before it gets worse.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    tru upping your exercise as doing the same ones as you did before now burn less calories because you are smaller
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    tru upping your exercise as doing the same ones as you did before now burn less calories because you are smaller

Exercise is not the issue, when it comes to losing weight it's far less important than diet and metabolism.
    When in a plateau, increasing exercise may help drop a few more pounds in the short-term but it will compound the true issue in the long-term.
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well said Russellb97. Everyone's first in stinker is to train harder and longer and diet harder. Huge mistake. There is only one reason you wouldn't lose weight. Not in a deficit. If you've been in a deficit for a long time and lost a bunch of weight then stopped, then it's time to reset. Take calories closer to maintenance, back off all that volume of exercise for 2-3 weeks, then start back. Fat drops, happiness back. Boom..lol. Hope that helps
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Well, if she hasn't lost weight in five months, wouldn't you say she HAS been eating at maintenance.

All this side argument about adaptive thermogenesis is more about a personal agenda of the person posting that (over and aver ins various threads) and not likely to be this person's problem.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,578 Member
    Options
    You don't mention anything about resistance training. And just doing cardio WITHOUT any resistance training affects lean mass more (loss of it) and LOWERS your resting metabolic rate which is where you burn the most body fat (at rest). If you haven't add a good resistance training program (Stronglifts or Starting strength).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your weight in settings - update diet and fitness profile? If not, you may still be eating the calories set at your original weight.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I agree with @ninerbuff . Add in resistance training, strength training, heavy weights, etc. It will help develop those muscles you want and increase your metabolism to burn more fat.

Nothing has ever changed my body the way that lifting has! I don't necessarily lose weight while lifting, but my body looks and feels different; smaller in some places!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Are those your Net calories? Meaning, do you enter and eat back the calories "earned" by exercise?

I couldn't eat 1700-2300 Net and lose. I am at a healthy weight (in the middle of the "range" for my BMI range.) I have to Net 1400-1600 to lose. I mean, obviously you and I are not alike, but if I were to maintain on 1700-2300 Net and I knew my logging was accurate, I would cut a couple hundred calories.

I think this would depend on height and muscle mass. I eat 1600-2100 a day and am still progressing towards my goals. I'm female, 5'7", and do Insanity most days along with hitting my step goal. I'm only medically 10lbs away from "a healthy weight" and 20lbs from my original goal weight.

While I agree the OP is probably eating at maintenance due to their personal results.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well, if she hasn't lost weight in five months, wouldn't you say she HAS been eating at maintenance.

She has lost weight in the last 5 month though, read her profile.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

She has lost weight in the last 5 month though, read her profile.

There's a 5 pound range up and down.

OP, I'd say that there is some things that deserves a second look in regards to total calories being eaten and moreover, the logging and accuracy of intake, etc.. My take is the calorie range of 1700 - 2300 is pretty broad. How many days are at the higher range keeping you in slower loss or even out of a calorie deficit? Is a food scale being used?

I bet there is a possibility that the "weekly" total calories consumed are in a range to currently maintain. The 5 pounds up and down that I see on the profile can account for daily/weekly fluctuations.

I am also in agreement about the strength training aspect and losing lean mass through weight loss. Also curious if at each 10 pound loss is the calorie goal being updated?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

I think this would depend on height and muscle mass. I eat 1600-2100 a day and am still progressing towards my goals. I'm female, 5'7", and do Insanity most days along with hitting my step goal. I'm only medically 10lbs away from "a healthy weight" and 20lbs from my original goal weight.

While I agree the OP is probably eating at maintenance due to their personal results.

Oh, for Pete sake. That's what I said. I am also 5'7" and at a healthy weight. 1700-1800 NET is my maintenance/lose a little number. Sometimes I eat more - shocker. I've been at this for many years. Very rarely is it a simple matter of a couple hundred calories on paper. I did say, "I mean, obviously you and I are not alike," I'm a lot older than her, not working, etc.

She hasn't been back, regardless...she likely isn't keeping very close tabs on her numbers, there is a lot of vague wording in her Original Post.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

Oh, for Pete sake. That's what I said. I am also 5'7" and at a healthy weight. 1700-1800 NET is my maintenance/lose a little number. Sometimes I eat more - shocker. I've been at this for many years. Very rarely is it a simple matter of a couple hundred calories on paper. I did say, "I mean, obviously you and I are not alike," I'm a lot older than her, not working, etc.

She hasn't been back, regardless...she likely isn't keeping very close tabs on her numbers, there is a lot of vague wording in her Original Post.

Who is Pete? Lol. No reason to get defensive. I didn't even disagree with you really, just making the point clear for anyone interested.
  • silvestrea
    silvestrea Posts: 33 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi, Everyone! Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I read all of your input and really tried to put somethings into practice. First, I cut back my calories and have been eating 1500-1700 daily. Additionally, I have added some light strength training to my routine. You're all right; I had not done any resistance training (it intimidates me). I have also looked at the quality of food that I was eating. Although I like to believe that I eat clean, while taking a closer look at my food journal, I realized that somethings I let slip (a donut here, a snickers mini there...it all adds up). You know what's funny? After doing all of that, I hit a new goal! I finally touched the 70-pound milestone! I'm going to continue to strength train and will closely monitor my intake. I'll let you all know how it goes. Again, thank you!