Cross Trainers or Running Shoes?

Options
I'm going to be going out to look for a pair of shoes that I can use for my actual exercising. I have a pair of Shape-Ups right now, but you're really not supposed to run in them (unless you get the running version, which I did not).

While I'm not a big runner yet, I am doing C25K and need something better for my feet than the Shape-Ups, but I also have other exercises I plan on doing in the near future and my budget will not allow for 2 pairs of shoes dedicated for their individual exercises.

So I've come to you, the wonderful MFP community, to help me plan this decision out.

You have until somewhere between 5:30-6:30pm to chime in, somewhere in that time frame I will be getting home from work, checking in here, and then heading out to buy the shoes.

So, what are your opinions guys and gals?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Just go try on a bunch of shoes run around, shift side to side and see which on does bother your feet. I shelled out180 a few weeks ago for a pair of runners and 3 pairs of socks. I dont need special aches or anything so next time i will be looking else where for shoes, not at a running place. I was told though to use non cotton socks for running, you will get less blisters.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    running shoes if you plan to run.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    If you're going to run at all, you need some decent running shoes. You don't want to run in cross trainers. However, if you are going to do a lot of plyometrics and such in your other exercise, you would really want some cross trainers as you would not want to do that in running shoes. Bottom line, is you need both. I didn't want to fork out the money for both either but I had to and I'm glad I did. I have my awesome cross trainers for my Turbo Fire etc. (Nike Free TR Fit women) and I have some awesome running shoes that are perfect for my foot ( Brooks Ghost 4 Women). You don't have to buy the most expensive shoes to get good shoes, but you do need to try a ton of them on, and then when you find what you like/want, go look online. Bet you'll find them at least $10-$20 cheaper than at the stores.

ETA: If your other exercise is mostly strength training or eliptical or something like that, you could probably be fine doing that sort of thing in running shoes.
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    I was told though to use non cotton socks for running, you will get less blisters.

Really? Where do I get non cotton socks?? I def need to do something about these blisters.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be running, you really need to get running shoes or you risk injury - I ran in cross trainers before I started running seriously, and it made a huge difference when I switched to the right running shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted (even if you just find out the brand/size/style and don't buy them there). I've done most other forms of exercise in my running shoes, even step aerobics.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I got professional help at an athletic shoe store. They know where you would need more support. It is really not good to use the same shoes you run in for other things, but if you are not planning on doing very long distance runs you should be fine.
  • pinkiekat
    pinkiekat Posts: 39
    Options
    I think it would depend on what else you are going to do with your c25k. I agree with chantalGG that you don't need to shell out $180 to get a fancy pair of tennis shoes. Especially not at this point in the game. I went to a running place and did the test to see about my feet and tried on shoes which I really couldn't tell a difference with from the ones I have now. Once you get done with your c25k, you may go back and reevaluate if you need a new pair of shoes then depending on if you're going to continue running, play sports, life weights, etc. I would just get a good pair that supports your feet and ankles and feels good while you're walking/running for now. Which you should be able to do for under $60.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I would go with runners to start out. You can still use them for other exercises, but cross-trainers aren't the best choice for running, and good shoes are absolutely critical to running.

You might consider going to a running store to get measured and possibly have your stride tested - the place I last went had a treadmill and a video camera so you could see what your legs and ankles were doing, which allows the staff to suggest the best shoes. In case you overpronate or whatever; I have no idea what all those words mean ;)

This is probably self-evident, but do bring the shoes you currently use (the shape-ups) so they can look at the wear pattern on the bottoms.

Speaking of budget, make sure the folks there know how much you can comfortably spend. If you call ahead they can give you a price range, or else you can just go there to get the testing done and try on different shoes, then go to a less expensive shop and get the shoes you like (or at least the same brand). I did get mine at the shop because they made sure to stay in my range, which at that point was around $100. They pulled some discontinued models from the back and they worked just fine, the colors are last year's, that's all. The folks at the runner's shop I went to seemed very interested in having me back as a customer, so I didn't feel like they were trying to oversell.

Good luck and enjoy your new shoes!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You definitely need running shoes to run in, properly fitted from a professional shop, but you can buy last season's models at half the price online.

You can do other exercises in running shoes if they don't involve lateral movement, but I found doing circuit-training stuff (star jumps and the like), sports with rapidly changing direction (football, tennis) and dance-type moves (Zumba etc.) gave me injuries when I attempted them in my running shoes.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's a difficult call. I have one pair of cross trainers and one pair of running shoes now. They really have different functions. The cross trainers help a lot when I'm doing balancing and stability work. But the running shoes definitely make a difference when running.

I think part of it depends on what type of running shoes you need too. I have a high arch and a neutral foot strike, so my running shoes have very little in the way of stability or support; they are light and have a good spring when you land. If you pronate or have flatter feet you will need running shoes with a lot more support. Those would definitely work better for other exercises than the type I have.

Other considerations are: what will you spend the most time doing?; do you plan on working towards longer runs (more than 5k)?

Good luck on finding the shoes that work best for you. It can definitely be a challenge.