"Love handles" and lower belly advice needed!

Options
Hey there! I'm Chasity. I'm about 5'7 and 140 pounds. In January of this year I decided I wanted to lose weight when I stepped on the scale and weighed in at 200 and none of my clothes fit. Well, I lost 60+ pounds. My legs and butt look great! My upper body such as my Arms, chest, and upper abs look great as well. But it's my lower belly and my "love handles that are driving me crazy! What do I do? and my belly it's not really fat but some times it sticks out really far! Idk why but I hate it /: help me please! Lol

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Keep reducing your bodyfat. If you lost 60+ lbs unfortunately you probably have some excess or loose skin which either takes surgery or time to fix.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You might just get a little bloated sometimes. Pay attention to what you are eating to see if you can find a correlation. Salty foods will have you retaining water. Dairy and fatty foods cause some people get bloated.
    Also, leg raises will target the bottom of your belly to tighten it up, and you can do those side crunches to hit the love handles. Don't just mindlessly move with these exercises. Focus on the area and contract the muscles with your mind.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    You might just get a little bloated sometimes. Pay attention to what you are eating to see if you can find a correlation. Salty foods will have you retaining water. Dairy and fatty foods cause some people get bloated.
    Also, leg raises will target the bottom of your belly to tighten it up, and you can do those side crunches to hit the love handles. Don't just mindlessly move with these exercises. Focus on the area and contract the muscles with your mind.

Exercises may target the muscles, but they do absolutely nothing to reduce the fat. Fat is inert and cannot be exercised. Side crunches may work the obliques, but they're not going to get rid of love handles, which are entirely composed of fat.
  • sophiarose0624
    sophiarose0624 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do you mean to just keep losing weight ? Bc im like skin a bone every where but my mid section.!! I'm going to post a picture about what I'm talking about...it bothers me! My lower stomach and lovehanldes. You can't really see my lovehandles but what my stomach does you can.
  • sophiarose0624
    Options
  • sophiarose0624
    Options
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You look great
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    You do look great, and I could be wrong, but that seems to be excess skin, probably from the weight loss itself. Time, along with body resistance workouts, weights, etc. can help to reduce that.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Everybody's stomach looks different when you bend at the waist
  • sophiarose0624
    Options
    You do look great, and I could be wrong, but that seems to be excess skin, probably from the weight loss itself. Time, along with body resistance workouts, weights, etc. can help to reduce that.

What would resistance workouts consist off ? I don't know much about workouts. I just been doing cardio and eating better.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you go to Youtube, and pump in "body resistance workouts", you'll get a whole load of examples...there's also Fitnessblender.com

And I totally could be wrong, it's hard to judge by a picture!

• sophiarose0624
    Options
    I understand. I just didn't know where else to turn for help! I also had a baby a couple years back I don't know if that would have any effect on stomach as well.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Over the next year, your skin will tighten up at least a little bit. It may very well not tighten up completely but it does take time for it to firm up a bit after weight loss.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Do you know if you have diastasis recti?
    Get that checked first. It can happen after pregnancy and some specific exercises are needed to correct it.

Otherwise time will help with the excess skin (up to 2+ years), and a good lifting programme will help resculpt your body. Look in the Maintenance sub-forum for the recomp thread. It is long but well worth the read.
    The Gaining sub-forum has a thread called 'which lifting program is best for you', that will give you a good selection of programmes to choose from.

Cheers, h.
  • sophiarose0624
    Options
    I'm not quite sure what diastasis recti is?! And ill look those up (: