Exercise and asthma... what to do?

Options
Hey everyone!

I am Nona and I'm 21 years old. I have asthma and therefore running isn't really my thing. I try to go on my bike as much as possible and I found that
skating is an exercise that works for me. Does anyone have any tips or
knows any more exercises that could work?

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Some of the worlds best athletes have asthma so there should be nothing stopping you, find something you enjoy doing apart from skating. I find variety and enjoyment really makes a difference for me to stick with it.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I found cold air was a trigger so did at home workouts :) or a gym if you have the cash!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Depends on what triggers your asthma

I have asthma, but I am not exercise induced. I did however have anxiety attacks whenever short of breath (which cardio does) so I got a trainer to help coach me out of that issue ...took a while but I don't get that crushing going to die feeling any more

If you like skating or biking do that ..take some reliever before you start and put your spray in your pocket ...go harder and faster and further each time
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I would schedule an appointment with an asthma/allergy Doctor. There are many daily medications out there now that will make your asthma virtually not noticeable on a daily basis. I have had asthma my entire life (44 years) and it is exercise induced, allergy induced, temperature induced, you name it. I am on a twice daily inhaled medication that makes my asthma virtually a non issue. I do intense workouts daily and never once need a rescue inhaler.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I would schedule an appointment with an asthma/allergy Doctor. There are many daily medications out there now that will make your asthma virtually not noticeable on a daily basis. I have had asthma my entire life (44 years) and it is exercise induced, allergy induced, temperature induced, you name it. I am on a twice daily inhaled medication that makes my asthma virtually a non issue. I do intense workouts daily and never once need a rescue inhaler.

This is my situation and experience exactly.
  • Nona240
    Nona240 Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thankyou all for helping me :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    A lady at my gym does the circuit classes and brings two different coloured inhalers. Sometimes I see her modify what we are doing to suit. Occasionally I see her take a puff from the inhaler
  • breeze_brat
    breeze_brat Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and dancing (square/line/slow/fast) every Friday night, is my choice of exercise as well as Leslie Sansone walk at home videos. I am on 4 medications and have to be careful, there are times when I have to stop dancing sometimes even have to walk off the floor and go sit down and use my rescue inhaler
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hubby has asthma and the first day with our personal trainer she called him on it. She lectured him on it (she's a nurse also) and ever after he took a preventive inhaler beforehand and carries a rescue inhaler with him.

With a chronic condition all you have to do is plan for it and make adjustments.
  • Nona240
    Nona240 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much everybody! This is really helping me :)