Elliptical or Treadmill?

Options
What is better? For years i have done the elliptical and its great, I have heard its easier on your knees. I had gotten to the point that I would use 19 crosstrain and 12 resistance and would be good. IT was easy peasy. I have recently been trying the treadmill and its so much harder for me. I feel like I get a way better workout on the treadmill but I seem to burn more calories with the elliptical. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I can't use the treadmill (hard on my knees), but I always feel as though I get a good burn on the elliptical.
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'd say if the elliptical is working for you, go with it. :)

I on the other hand was using an elliptical for 3 years. I would fight and fight with it and couldn't get past 10 minutes on the thing. Now I had gotten the elliptical for free but what I had really wanted was the treadmill. A few months ago, I was finally able to buy my treadmill. It was AMAZING how much more I could do and how much more I enjoyed it. I spent 3 years thinking that there was something wrong with me and now here I was not having a problem at all. Come to find out, short people can have some problems using an elliptical. Who knew? So from here on out, I'm a treadmill girl.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    my thoughts are: DO BOTH! lol i personally get so bored doing only one machine, i like to mix it up and split my time between a few different cardio machines
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    combine them, both are great cardio
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I personally find the elliptical really really really....annoying? i don't even know the proper word. I just don't like it. I own a treadmill and I prefer that even if it doesn't burn as many calories.

I agree with the poster above - I have REALLY short legs and I think that caused me so many problems. It just wasn't comfortable for me.
  • tiffinee
    tiffinee Posts: 6
    Options
    In addition to being impact-free, most elliptical trainers give you a total body workout, whereas treadmills focus more on your lower body - hence the lower amount of calories burned. I vote ellipticals all the way!:happy:
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can get a longer work out on the Elliptical because it's easier on my knees and I also burn more calories. :happy:
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Both machines are great. You are right about the elliptical being easier on your knees...there is virtually no impact on them. I think you should stick with the treadmill for now, though, since you said it's a challenge. It's best to change up your workout routine every so often to shock your body and work different muscle groups. If you feel like something is "easy peasy" then odds are your body is totally adapted to that workout, and you're not benefiting from it as much as the machine says you are. So if I were you, I'd stay on the treadmill for now. Once you've done some work on there and it becomes easy for you, switch back to the elliptical, or find a new machine that you enjoy using. Just keep changing things up, whether it's the incline, the speed, or the duration so your body doesn't adapt and become comfortable.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    In addition to being impact-free, most elliptical trainers give you a total body workout, whereas treadmills focus more on your lower body - hence the lower amount of calories burned. I vote ellipticals all the way!:happy:

I completely agree with this. I have gotten compliments on my arms, but I don't do any weights. Whatever muscle I've gained, it's been through the elliptical workouts. I can spend an hour on it without even thinking!
  • kkmulholland
    Options
    How short is too short for an elliptical. I have tried them many times but always have issues. I am 5'4". I wouldn't think I would be too short but if that is the case, at least I can look elsewhere...
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know... try googling it? I'm 4'10" so I def have a problem with them.
    How short is too short for an elliptical. I have tried them many times but always have issues. I am 5'4". I wouldn't think I would be too short but if that is the case, at least I can look elsewhere...
  • JessicaHamilton
    Options
    I am 5'4 as well! :) and I have a fine time on the elliptical. Thanks everyone for your responses! I truly appreciate it!