My Obese Life

Options
Hi my name is Hakeem 26 years old and i'm morbidly obese.I have not weighed myself in over three years but last time I checked I was around 400 pounds.Life since then health wise has been a roller coaster.Long story short I assume i'm 475 pounds(assuming the worst) and even though i'm still mobile and able to move pretty good for guy my size.My weight has not only took a toll of my heart and chest area but also my legs.All my weigh is geared from the gut and up making it tougher each day for my legs to carry 300 plus pounds daily.

A little more background is I've been overweight/obese basically all my life.Middle school I walked in 150 plus pounds and by time freshman year of high school rolled around I was 290.Throughout my high school years I stayed in 300 to 320 range.Life after high school hit and I was slumming house to house being a couch potato and babysitting.My weight sky rocketed from low 300's to a 450 in late 2011.2012 was a scary year due to high blood pressure,heart problems and fear of early exit out of life.I was doped up on medicine and had no sight or vision of what I was gonna do in future.I regain control of my life in 2013 by exercising and getting my GED in late 2012.2014 started off bad with death of grandmother and falling out with Sister(individual I was staying with at time)I moved in with my father(Whom I don't have best relationship with) and went through hell) July I decided to go college.August of 2014 is when I got on right track just started college and most importantly became the most active I ever been on a consistent basis.From Aug 2014 to December 2015 I was losing weight looking best I've look in years and felt great.Everything went to shambles when I couldn't go back to my college due to Financial Aid Suspension.I was depress and bitter at world and once again became couch potato and started eating my life away with 0 physical activity.Prior to this late April I went through the entire 2016 not only being a couch potato but also eating bad food at all times of day and night.

I'm working towards totally removing "meat" out of my diet.It's a bigger challenge then I thought.I have been successful so far in walking for 30 minutes a day.Everyday thus week I've recorded an hour of walking which is a huge help to my heart and chest problems.I not only suffer from angina but also Costochondritis which is very scary.Being 400 plus pounds has taken a toll on my body and I'm thankful to wake up every morning.

Any tips/suggestions will be appreciated

Replies

• HakeemTheDream89
    HakeemTheDream89 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with chest pains and inflammation.I have been having tightness in chest around my heart on that particular side.I assume it's inflammation swelling up and costochondritis .Also my heart at times feels weak like any and everything makes my heart jittery. I really can't explain it but I know i'm suffering from heart disease(angina) and costochondritis so maybe that explains my problems.Any ways to help me feel better? I continue to walk everyday and do a solid job of watching what I eat.Unfortunately due to chest pains I get scared and nervous and starve myself throughout the day.I'm scared to eat big meals let alone meat just out of fear of having stroke or heart attack
  • jojo_8584
    jojo_8584 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey. Eat papaya people are not aware but this amazing fruit has anti inflammatory... is wonderful. Try it and believe me you will feel great. Just in case you don't believe me Google it lol good luck on your journey. I have fail 1000 of times and my journey just started 15 days ago. Im being strong but not after many failures
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    As someone who started close to your weight, walking is great exercise. It was my only form of exercise for nearly 1 year. Biggest piece of advice I can give is get comfortable shoes and moisture wicking socks. I don't know your size but for me I found New Balance and Brooks were the 2 brands that carried my size, 15 and width 4E. It makes a big difference wearing comfortable shoes for someone our size. They make shoes with really thick soles that help and the socks help lower the chances of developing blisters.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Stay strong, Hakeem. You can do this.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    @abneyhakeem89 you really should see a doctor. Chest pain can be many different things but at your weight you are putting a serious stress on your heart.

It is great that you are starting to take action. You have a lot of hard work ahead of you.
  • classykaren
    classykaren Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with chest pains and inflammation.I have been having tightness in chest around my heart on that particular side.I assume it's inflammation swelling up and costochondritis .Also my heart at times feels weak like any and everything makes my heart jittery. I really can't explain it but I know i'm suffering from heart disease(angina) and costochondritis so maybe that explains my problems.Any ways to help me feel better? I continue to walk everyday and do a solid job of watching what I eat.Unfortunately due to chest pains I get scared and nervous and starve myself throughout the day.I'm scared to eat big meals let alone meat just out of fear of having stroke or heart attack
    Please see a Doctor immediately. Even if you have to go to the emergency room to see one.

• larryc251
    larryc251 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hey bud you need to get thay checked out. Go to your doctor or ER if you think you should. Get that checked out before anything else. Sent you a req
  • mrm1612
    mrm1612 Posts: 31 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Rooting for you Hakeem! We can do this! Greetings from Puerto Rico!
  • sarahlynn10782
    sarahlynn10782 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hakeem, glad you went to the doctor! You might want to think about signing up for some of the challenges and groups on here, the people are really motivational! Good luck to you on your weight loss journey! You can do it!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's so great that you went to the doctor to see what the issue was! The best thing you can do at this point is to keep things as simple as possible. Plug your info into MFP and eat the number of calories it gives you. It isn't certain types of foods that cause weight gain, it's simply a surplus of them. Keep up the walking, too, that's great for you! Congrats on beginning your journey, you can totally do this!
  • JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I took your advice and went to the hospital last night.According to the doctor I was having chest pains due to physical activity,acid and of course heavy weight on my chest.They gave me a pill to reduce acid and put me on a breathing machine while I was at the hospital.Also the doctor wrote to give me a inhaler and pills to reduce acid reflex.

Clear Problems:
    455 pounds and my blood pressure was 205/75 which clearly means my heart is working double overtime, every day all day .

Great news: I'm on a 5 day streak of walking a full hour also I've been watching what I eat.Hopefully Sunday I will be getting my medicine and in a month I will see some great results and loss enough weight to release the pain in my chest and acid.

Thank you to all who pray and support me.I'm truly humble and i'm 100% believer that this is the time I will beat obesity and win the war! PLEASE CONTINUE TO PRAY AND I WILL DO THE SAME

Im so glad u were seen for your heart pain. At least now you know what it is and have a plan of action. Glad the walking daily is helping. Watch your sodium intake since your blood pressure is up pretty high. You still need to get in touch with a dietitian so they can get you on an meal plan that has what you, your body, and your health require.
    Remember we are all out here if you ever need to talk just reach out. Best of luck!
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options

Im so glad u were seen for your heart pain. At least now you know what it is and have a plan of action. Glad the walking daily is helping. Watch your sodium intake since your blood pressure is up pretty high. You still need to get in touch with a dietitian so they can get you on an meal plan that has what you, your body, and your health require.
    Remember we are all out here if you ever need to talk just reach out. Best of luck![/quote]

Thank you .. I've set an appointment for January 3rd and when I receive some money I will go the doctor.I'm still unsure on how do I get in touch with a dietitian? Seeing that I don't have any income coming in nor any insurance?

• HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    It's so great that you went to the doctor to see what the issue was! The best thing you can do at this point is to keep things as simple as possible. Plug your info into MFP and eat the number of calories it gives you. It isn't certain types of foods that cause weight gain, it's simply a surplus of them. Keep up the walking, too, that's great for you! Congrats on beginning your journey, you can totally do this!

That is the biggest hurdle I'm facing right now. I'm trying not to starve myself while at the same time trying to stay away from meat and big meals in general.Sodium is also only issue only for simple fact that I like eating sandwiches such as PBJ or Bologna sandwich.I believe I can do a great job of staying away from fried food.An biggest key is never eating after 6 pm. If I can solve those problems and continue to walk everyday.I will be back in 300's in no time.My goal is to get out of 400's by Jan.3