Monday Mini Challenge

Options
Charger440
Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
Today's challenge is: Ballerina chop

Let's see if we can do 75 of them.
These look tough to me so lets take it easy and see what we can do.
This is a lower abdominal/oblique that was requested earlier in the week.
Post back on how many you do so I can set the goal more appropriately next time we do these. If you can do more than 75 please do them this time and let me know.

You have until midnight to get them done.
You can do them all at once or break them into smaller groups.
If you can't do them all then do what you can. The important thing is that you try to do them.
Make sure you stretch and have fun doing them.
Report back when you are done and let us know how you did.
You can log these challenges as "Calisthenics" I hear.

I don't see a video for these so I'll just post a link so you can read about them.
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/healthieryou/8-moves-to-your-best-summer-body

Replies

• quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • Ginial1479
    Ginial1479 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • yumyumyum
    yumyumyum Posts: 5
    Options
    yeah, Im in
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I think I get the idea. Now I have to find a small dumbbell. I figure if I fill a half gallon jug with water and seal it; it would make the perfect 4 pound dumbbell. I'll let you know how I do.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I dislike the articles that show how to get a "perfect" body in a short period of time. First - the person in the pictures is skinny as a rail so doing the moves they indicate will actually be possible for her. Second, the way the article is written implies all you have to do is the 8 moves every other day and you'll burn the fat right off. Doesn't mention eating right, aerobic activity, switching up the strengthening/toning routines (cause even tho those are tough moves, if you can do them, eventually you'll get used to them).

I like daily challenges but prefer something more functional like pushups, wall squats, or dead lift/leg raises.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I dislike the articles that show how to get a "perfect" body in a short period of time. First - the person in the pictures is skinny as a rail so doing the moves they indicate will actually be possible for her. Second, the way the article is written implies all you have to do is the 8 moves every other day and you'll burn the fat right off. Doesn't mention eating right, aerobic activity, switching up the strengthening/toning routines (cause even tho those are tough moves, if you can do them, eventually you'll get used to them).

I like daily challenges but prefer something more functional like pushups, wall squats, or dead lift/leg raises.

I agree with your first comment (as a side bar) regarding the models in fitness how to articles, and I think that for the most part they are models and therefore have to do very little work. For the most part many of the "8 simple moves" and articles along those lines "15 simple things you need to do to lose weight" are just to sell magazines, most of the population are quick fixers who just want something else to blame as to why the newest easy way out isn't fixing anything, this is how publishers sell magazines. Most people won't buy the magazine with the articles entitled things like "how to lose weight slowly using a rigorous diet and exercise overhaul," they want to know how to lose 50 pounds and get a bikini body by summer. Publishers are in the business of selling magazines, not of making people deal with the cold hard facts.

To your second point, I don't understand this one, how is having a variety of exercises to exchange out and get away from the classic crunch to work your abs not "functional?"

And I'm totally in this one to win it! Is that 75 aside, 150 total?
  • adamswife01
    adamswife01 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    okay I will try
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I am in!
  • kathyrice
    kathyrice Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't have small dumb bells but I'll fill a 2 liter with some water and weigh it, that ought to help a little with resistence.

Can't wait to try it!

Again, thanks Charger440!
  • epj62993
    epj62993 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    did 80! 4 sets of 20!:smile:
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Will try ... not quite understanding the movement.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the video! I couldn't picture it in my head by just the description.

Edit: Five sets of 15 down. Halfway there. :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the video! I couldn't picture it in my head by just the description.

Edit: Five sets of 15 down. Halfway there. :smile:

Wait... five sets of 15 *is* 75... so I guess I'm done! For some reason I was thinking 150. Maybe I'll still do 150. Later.
  • goingnowhere
    Options
    Thanks for the video (http://skinnyyogagirl.tumblr.com/post/5811864316/tone-it-up-bikini-body-workout-with-self). It helped get the motion down. Just did 15 sets on each side, not hard to do but did cause exertion - nice. i can do this 4 more times today. So, would this count in strength training on MyFitnessPal.com? i used a 5# weight and I'm 60, 5'1" and 12mumblemumble#.
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    It is 75 total. I threw these in here because I wanted to change things up a bit. I didn't know you would get upset about the "models" on the page especially considering you have to know to keep that body you have watch everything you eat and work out constantly. Do you really want to compare yourselves to them? I don't have time or the desire to work out all the time. So when I see them I think they look nice but at the same time they are not realistic either.
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Options
    :tongue:
    It is 75 total. I threw these in here because I wanted to change things up a bit. I didn't know you would get upset about the "models" on the page especially considering you have to know to keep that body you have watch everything you eat and work out constantly. Do you really want to compare yourselves to them? I don't have time or the desire to work out all the time. So when I see them I think they look nice but at the same time they are not realistic either.

Well said Charger! I liked the article for the DIFFERENT types of routine--not the models or anything else. :tongue: :bigsmile: Thanks agina for posting these!

I'll post back once I have completed them all!
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Options
    75 done! If my legs didn't hurt from my Hot Yoga workout yesterday, I would have done more. Thanks again!
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Done, I did sets of 20 for 5 sets. This was a doable challenge. I could probably have added another set or two, but I took the path of least resistance and read a book instead.