No food scales

Options

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Bought one early on. Used it twice. For me, not worth the bother.
    I use this chart:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f9/d9/96/f9d9968e354d39de9feade7557d750d7.jpg

Works very well for me. Lost over 160#, and have kept it off for almost 3 years.

Whatever works for you and will be sustainable for the long term.
  • froggysfriend
    froggysfriend Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I weigh my grated cheese, because otherwise I always over estimate. But most other things I just use the nutrition labels. The one thing I don't worry about too much is veggies, I guess if I stopped losing I would have to get more careful with that, but for the moment I'm not worrying.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've lost fine without scales. I always over calculate my food in MFP to make up for any discrepancies.However, I DO own a scale, but only use it for meats and high calorie foods.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I didn't have much weight to lose when I joined MFP over 6 years ago (I had lost 1/2 on my own already), and I got to my goal weight without using a scale and even logging "generic" items in my food diary. I got a scale out of curiosity after reading the forums and sometimes I wish I had not because sometimes I am a slave of the scale.

I have been maintaining my weight (+/- 2 lbs) for the last six years and I am not longer that accurate with the logging or weighing. I don't guess or overestimate either; I just don't log when on vacation, eating out or a friends house. I do realize that if you want to be accurate with your macros, the scale is a great tool and that is the only reason why I still use it; however and like other members mentioned above, just do what works for you.

Edited to add: the food scale is very handy when you want to use the Recipe Builder.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've lost 22 pounds since July 15 of this year. I'm about 15 pounds to goal. I've never owned a scale. I also don't use a measuring cup or measuring spoons -- I eyeball everything and read labels. Is this inaccurate? Of course it is.

I can see how a scale would benefit someone who ate a more complicated diet or wanted to hit certain macros.

My kitchen is being worked on and it is a hassle to use it. I also eat simple food with little prep and eat the same range of food over and over (I'm a widow and don't have to make food to please a family). I know about how much I should eat. My food also addresses some problems my doctor brought up. I'm not starving and am losing weight without problem.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I lost without the food scale yup. I over estimated when un sure. I use one sometimes now in maintenence as I was in a big deficit before so a bit of error was ok. In maintenence I gotta be a bit more careful as there's not really a buffer anymore.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    selina884 wrote: »
    brisingr86 wrote: »
    When I started, I didn't have a food scale and was still able to lose. I think it's probably easier when you have more to lose so you may be able to target a larger deficit and have a bit more wiggle room to guesstimate and still be at a deficit and losing. I think as you get closer to goal and weight loss becomes more difficult, the guesstimates may not work as well and you may need to improve precision with a food scale. I do have one, but I'm not religious in its use and I've gotten lax in logging, so this is mostly speculation.

Im guessing overtime people can eyeball their measurements after years of accurately measuring. Again speculation too.

Aw man..we are in the naughty corner lol

wth is that? We are in jail LOL.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I didn't use a food scale when I first started here in 2012. I lost much faster than expected, which is not the worst problem to have of course, but I was so hungry all the time and then I gained about half the weight back since 2013. I did buy a food scale after that and am back on track. Without the food scale, my food diary wasn't accurate enough to figure out what was going on. I wasn't sure if I was eating a lot less than I thought or if my actual TDEE was higher than the various calculators were guessing. Now that I use the food scale, I know my TDEE is higher than would be expected (sedentary job, etc). That has been super helpful for me because I know I can eat more and lose, which makes the hunger issue not as great, and I think it will be easier to stay on track now.

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I've lost 190+lbs and have not used a food scale that much. I use it for some things, but I guestimate some stuff, and have gotten pretty good over the past year or so in knowing what I eat at least when I make things myself at home. i do use it from time to time when I'm making or eating something new, but usually after a while I am pretty good at knowing what I am putting in my body.

I also exercise quite a bit to give myself some buffer room on any gaps I may have by not measuring/weighing every single thing.

It works for me, but may not work for others. Just gotta find what works for you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I lost in the beginning for 6 months without a food scale. I got to my last 15 pounds and had a terrible time.

There are two sides to my situation, I have trouble with calorie deficits and my husband does not. I needed tools to lose weight, he does not.

So he lost 65 pounds with out logging or weighing one calorie, I had to log all my calories in the final stages through weighing and logging accurately. It can be done.

eta: I still use my food scale daily, it is now my third arm in the kitchen. My goals are different now, but the food scale is really the only way to get to that accuracy to maintain even after loss goals are met for me.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I could say alot about this topic, but I will try to keep it short (ish)

I dont count calories, or measure my food in any shape or form.

When I started my journey back in early July, I started to count calories. It didnt take long before I realised that this was nothing I could see myself doing for the rest of my life, or even for a short period - for many reasons.

Some reasons;

- It would take away my freedom to truly eat what I want.
    - I wanted to see food as food, not see food as numbers.
    - It would create an addiction to food - fuelled by emotions. Feeling guily about having too much to eat, too little to eat and etc.

Its just not a way I want to live.
    So how am I doing with my weight loss project? Pretty good. Ive lost 13 kg in 13 weeks.

I do think its important though, for everyone that want to lose weight permanently, to think of it as a life long commitment. Its not something that you will do for x amount of time. So each and everyone should have a plan as to how to reach whatever goal you have, and then how maintain that goal.

And whatever means you are using to get there: Do it in a safe way, and dont make it harder than it has to be.

Life happens everyday. Dont use that as an excuse.

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I lost fifty lbs without weighing, without measuring, and only logging/counting once in a while (mainly as a spot check to see if I was on track). I do stick with a LCHF diet (and I did track carbs in the first six weeks until I got a feel for what the carb count of various foods is), which seems to help with my level of hunger, making it possible for me to lose weight and maintain (I've been maintaining, outside a pregnancy, for nearly three years now) without having to count/log. I suppose if I started weighing and measuring I could eat more carbs without so much worry, but I actually prefer low carb foods and absolutely love the freedom eating this way has afforded me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So seeing a few of your post, my comment is directed at the conglomeration of them all. The effort you put forth will drive the results. You may find it difficult to achieve certain goals without a bit more accuracy. People can easily lose weight without a scale. But getting something like abs, may be a lot more difficult. Ultimately, the path you chose, the exercise you do, and the calorie/macronutrient composition should all be in line with what you are trying to achieve. I recognize external factors come into play, but you cannot expect the results you want to achieve, if your plan is not supporting that. At the very least, you can give this method a try and evaluate your progress after 4-6 weeks. If at that point, you are not seeing the progress you are expecting, you can modify it.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's been said, but I think it's worth reiterating- many people can get away with not using a scale when trying to lose weight at first, but then they find themselves not losing weight when they get closer to their goal, and they wonder why. I have found, for myself, that there's no substitution for weighing most of my food in grams, and then using the correct information when logging it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    yes people lose weight all the time without using a food scale...

even following IIFYM...

I own food scales and find it easier to be accurate and prefer the accuracy to the 5mins in my week I might lose by using a food scale.
    Agree with all of this, but I think using my food scale saves me time in the kitchen vs. measuring cups, which I was using before. Less to wash, fewer steps when cooking, etc. I didn't really realize what a PITA estimating was until I didn't have to do it anymore.

Also agree with all the others who say it matters how big your deficit is. Small deficits require greater precision.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    No, get a scale
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I hit 2 pounds a week pretty perfectly without scales. I think some people are good at eyeballing and some people just aren't...and you can't know which you are without trying. If you can't eyeball though, you have to be willing to switch courses.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My food scale sits on my counter, totally under-utilized. I weigh meat/fish because I have no earthly idea what an accurate calorie count would be simply by looking. Sometimes I weigh fruit and nuts, same reason....not good at estimating by eyeball (yet)
    Often, I use the info on the package.....I'll use measuring cups or scoops for cereals, yogurt, dressings.
    I've been steadily losing....although I'm well aware that when I get closer to my goal, I may need to use my scale more often.....and I'm willing.....but I don't think I'm willing to weigh/measure/log my food forever.
    Something about that seems unnatural to me.
  • AmyMW7
    AmyMW7 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I don't use a scale and I've lost 31 pounds in a about 4 months. I just log food the best I can and try to over estimate. It works for me. At least right now. I now have a better idea of how many calories are in what I eat and what is healthy and that's good enough right now.
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Without a scale or following a meal plan made by someone who calculated your macros you are not going to get the main benefits from IIFYM. As the whole purpose is to see how your body responds and when it stalls progress you adjust in grams. If you are not weighing you can not do this because you don't know the REAL grams that you are eating. You can definitely still lose weight and not weigh out your food but its not as accurate as weighing, so when something goes wrong you may have to change things in much bigger amounts.