Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    You'd be in a calorie deficit (i'd probably go for a pound a week judging your current body fat level). You'd switch to actual heavy lifting instead of body-weight work. We'd be consistently increasing weight lifted in mostly compound lifts. And...You'd be consuming adequate protein (.8-1.2 g per pound LBM).

OP, this... :)

I am not sure where, when or how the recomp idea came to fruition, but its only been 4 weeks.. and you can change the plan now and hopefully start a new goal that will help you achieve the body composition changes you want.

If I'm not mistaken in a past thread OP stated that she was almost underweight (correct me if I am wrong I could be thinking of someone else) so that was why recomp was recommended to her rather than a continued deficit.

BMI/total body weight is nearly irrelevant when we take into consideration body fat percentage.

edit: for clarity, OP wants to reduce her body fat percentage. She needs to eat less calories. Period. If she wants to purposely gain muscle she can do so after reaching a more satisfactory body fat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    This perfectly highlights why I am in the "anti-recomp" group. Far too many people jump on the bandwagon of eating at maintenance, doing exercise and expect to magically transform. It is basically a glorified way to not make progress with regards to body composition. If you have excess fat, eat in a deficit. If you want to build muscle, eat in a surplus.

@beebydoll I would move into a caloric deficit (250-500 daily) and lose enough bodyfat until you're happy with where you're at. Then slowly increase calories to maintenance.

PS- You certainly don't look worse!

There are people who jump on cutting/bulking with the same expectation of fast results. The problem is not the method. It's a misunderstanding of what is to be expected doing either thing.

Expectations are definitely something to manage closely before changing anything. My outlook would be this after a month;

- Eat in a 500 cal deficit = 4lb of fat loss
    - Eat in a 500 cal surplus = 4lbs of weight gain ( potentially 2lbs muscle)
    - Eat at maintenance = gain 0.5lbs muscle & lose 0.5lbs fat (probably less)

2 of the above will net noticeable results, the other does not.

Making up random numbers isn't at all helpful - people's experience is unique to them.
    I had great results from recomp - doesn't mean everyone else will too.

Plus some people have awful results with bulk / cut cycles and just spin their wheels plus having the chore of dieting. There isn't just one way that fits all.

OP - a month is nothing. Far too impatient! And no you don't look worse.
    You are also trying to recomp with quite a bit of fat remaining which may well hide any progress.
    When you are leaner even the same speed of progress shows up far more.

I agree with suggestions that a calorie deficit is where you should be at the moment. It doesn't have to be a large deficit.

IMHO bodyweight training is sub-optimal unless you are very knowledgeable.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You'd be in a calorie deficit (i'd probably go for a pound a week judging your current body fat level). You'd switch to actual heavy lifting instead of body-weight work. We'd be consistently increasing weight lifted in mostly compound lifts. And...You'd be consuming adequate protein (.8-1.2 g per pound LBM).

I am not sure where, when or how the recomp idea came to fruition, but its only been 4 weeks.. and you can change the plan now and hopefully start a new goal that will help you achieve the body composition changes you want.

If I'm not mistaken in a past thread OP stated that she was almost underweight (correct me if I am wrong I could be thinking of someone else) so that was why recomp was recommended to her rather than a continued deficit.

BMI/total body weight is nearly irrelevant when we take into consideration body fat percentage.

edit: for clarity, OP wants to reduce her body fat percentage. She needs to eat less calories. Period. If she wants to purposely gain muscle she can do so after reaching a more satisfactory body fat.

I agree I was just stating where the recomp idea was coming from. I found the thread and she did say she is almost underweight.. while some said she can continue to cut, most of the others recommended recomp on there.. so that is why she decided to go that route.
    However just as a question... you can reduce your bf% when recomping, no? So then when would you recommend an ideal time for someone to do so?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I agree I was just stating where the recomp idea was coming from. I found the thread and she did say she is almost underweight.. while some said she can continue to cut, most of the others recommended recomp on there.. so that is why she decided to go that route.
    However just as a question... you can reduce your bf% when recomping, no? So then when would you recommend an ideal time for someone to do so?

You can reduce bf% when recomping.. It is quite slow and takes a good amount of time. And why one chooses recomp over bulk/cut cycles are personal preference for many reasons.

I have and still recomp myself.. So recomp can be for a long time, short period of time (perhaps just prior to a bulk/cut).. I personally think you can alternate between the two.

Recomp can also be a phase for learning muscle building skills. Recomp can work for those skinny fat, recomp can be for those that are already fairly lean, and have almost as much muscle as they naturally can have. And you can recomp to just maintain.

Now how long one does this for is determined by the final goal or outcome to be achieved.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

You can reduce bf% when recomping.. It is quite slow and takes a good amount of time. And why one chooses recomp over bulk/cut cycles are personal preference for many reasons.

I have and still recomp myself.. So recomp can be for a long time, short period of time (perhaps just prior to a bulk/cut).. I personally think you can alternate between the two.

Recomp can also be a phase for learning muscle building skills. Recomp can work for those skinny fat, recomp can be for those that are already fairly lean, and have almost as much muscle as they naturally can have. And you can recomp to just maintain.

Now how long one does this for is determined by the final goal or outcome to be achieved.

This. This is why i said for her specific goals and current place, i wouldn't be re-comping. I think she'll be spinning her wheels far longer than she is capable of maintaining.
  • donnapal79
    donnapal79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    All the people telling her to reduce calories must not have seen her first post. I believe she was very close to being underweight, if I'm remembering correctly. Which is why recomp was suggested.
    OP, please stick with what you're doing, you definitely don't look worse.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Recomposition takes way more than a month
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    You look great and slightly better than the first photo. You need to do what YOU want. I will never eat more calories to gain muscle.. it just aint' gonna happen . Your lower stomach is so small..but i can see where it bugs you because the rest of you is so perfect Maybe a small deficit..do cardio...and keep lifting to keep toned. You're looking so good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    This perfectly highlights why I am in the "anti-recomp" group. Far too many people jump on the bandwagon of eating at maintenance, doing exercise and expect to magically transform. It is basically a glorified way to not make progress with regards to body composition. If you have excess fat, eat in a deficit. If you want to build muscle, eat in a surplus.

@beebydoll I would move into a caloric deficit (250-500 daily) and lose enough bodyfat until you're happy with where you're at. Then slowly increase calories to maintenance.

There are people who jump on cutting/bulking with the same expectation of fast results. The problem is not the method. It's a misunderstanding of what is to be expected doing either thing.

Expectations are definitely something to manage closely before changing anything. My outlook would be this after a month;

- Eat in a 500 cal deficit = 4lb of fat loss
    - Eat in a 500 cal surplus = 4lbs of weight gain ( potentially 2lbs muscle)
    - Eat at maintenance = gain 0.5lbs muscle & lose 0.5lbs fat (probably less)

2 of the above will net noticeable results, the other does not.

Making up random numbers isn't at all helpful - people's experience is unique to them.
    I had great results from recomp - doesn't mean everyone else will too.

Plus some people have awful results with bulk / cut cycles and just spin their wheels plus having the chore of dieting. There isn't just one way that fits all.

OP - a month is nothing. Far too impatient! And no you don't look worse.
    You are also trying to recomp with quite a bit of fat remaining which may well hide any progress.
    When you are leaner even the same speed of progress shows up far more.

I agree with suggestions that a calorie deficit is where you should be at the moment. It doesn't have to be a large deficit.

IMHO bodyweight training is sub-optimal unless you are very knowledgeable.

This would be my assessment as well. For recomping, a body resistance program might not cut it, especially for someone with higher body fat. I think a 10% reduction to TDEE would be ideal. And if the OP is going to follow a body resistance program, one like YOYOG, would be good.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Also, recomps can definitely take time.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Looks like progress to me! PS Please lighten up on yourself!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I'm glad we agree on that though no matter what our differing opinions on the effectiveness of recomps are.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, you posted 23 days ago saying that you were 2 pounds from being underweight per BMI. Have you gained or lost any weight since then?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Edited my original post: That thread is dated September 6th. I has not been 4 weeks yet.

I think a total change in program and a very very small deficit and keep going..
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'll toss in my .02. Op, you certainly don't look worse, and yes...4mos isn't long enough to see any major changes.

I also agree with a little more of a deficit. I had to get my weight down significantly lower than I ever thought I would have to in order to make a dent in those stubborn fat spots (5'4 and 109lbs which was also hovering around "underweight" according to bmi charts). That's not to say you have to stay there though. Once you get your fat percentage down a little more then maybe you can begin a small bulk with some weight training (this is what I'm doing). Or even stick with the recomp. The point I'm driving at is I wouldn't get too hung up on currently being right around "underweight". Bmi charts aren't a "set in stone" thing where we can't deviate a bit in either direction and still be healthy.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I dont think you look worse, I think your belly is cute actually. You wanna see worse you should see my severely stretch marked lower belly flap/sag. I almost want to stay fat! LOL