Why am I gaining when trying to lose????

Options
I was so excited and thought this time I am really gonna do it! Well after a week of staying within my calories and walking at least 10,000 steps a day (which before I only walked 2k) I weighed in a gained 4 pounds:( I just feel so defeated and discouraged:( I just do not understand what I am doing wrong. Please any advice is appreciated

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    This chart addresses pretty much every possibility. Read through it, tighten up the spots you aren't doing, and you should be good to go!

ei41ni4kumi8.jpg
  • ejtj1234
    ejtj1234 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am going to try it again it just seemed like 4 pounds was outrageous
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said above. Slow and steady wins the race, as they say. Even though I've been stuck in the 260s for a week or two now, I have consistently lost an average of about 1.1 pound per week since the beginning of February, when I started tracking.

You, too, will get there...it takes time. It took time to put it on, it will take time to take it off. Good luck!!

Add me if you like...I'm linked up with some great people...highly motivated and very supportive. We will certainly welcome you!
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Simple answer you are eating more. There could be hormonal factors at play but you are most likely eating over maintenance. Water weight could also be a possibility.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    ejtj1234 wrote: »

It's really not outrageous. Everyone has a weight RANGE, not a static weight, and everyone fluctuates up and down across that range constantly. Most people don't realize that until they start trying to lose weight, though. They weigh in right at the start and figure that's their official "starting weight," but you have no idea where that one data point is within your range. Plus, there are a lot of things that can cause temporary spikes on the scale, like TOM, increased exercise, increased sodium, etc. In the first month, just observe what your weight does and be patient, and you'll start to see what your normal fluctuation range is.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

To gain a pound of fat you have to eat 3500 more calories than your body burns. I highly doubt you actually over ate 14,000 calories last week, how about you?

Whenever there's a large, sudden weight swing without an accompanying change in calories, it's water. Our bodies retain and shed water all day long in response to changes in our sodium/potassium balance, hormones, muscle fatigue and other factors.
  • Twicethewomanyouare
    Options
    If you are eating to be healthy and increase your life span, and not to fit into a new dress, then there are so many other rewards, and the weight will just happen. I'm new to this site, but I saw the system rewarded me for logging my foods every day, and for staying within calorie goals. Little things like that, to remind me that this is a journey, not an excursion. God bless and good luck.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    In just one week it is hard to say. Increased exercise can make your muscles swell with water. There are also matters of hormones and sodium.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You said one week, right?
    1. Losing weight is a long term proposition. You will not lose weight every week. Your weight includes more than fat, and all that other stuff (especially water) can fluctuate several pounds per day. Patience is a must.
    2. If all the walking is new, and you've overhauled your diet, you could be retaining extra water.
    3. If it's your time of the month, you could also be retaining water.
    4. You can't get defeated by one week's numbers. So many people quit when they have a bad day or week. It's the difference between people who succeed and people who keep starting over but never getting anywhere.

Log everything accurately and consistently, exercise however you can whenever you can, KNOW that your body does not immediately react to every meal or workout (these things take time) and be patient :) Good luck!

This!
    If you are eating to be healthy and increase your life span, and not to fit into a new dress, then there are so many other rewards, and the weight will just happen. I'm new to this site, but I saw the system rewarded me for logging my foods every day, and for staying within calorie goals. Little things like that, to remind me that this is a journey, not an excursion. God bless and good luck.

I just want to point out that you can absolutely gain weight eating a diet of "healthy" foods, and if you're obese but only eat whole foods, cooked at home, with bean sprouts and lentils and nuts and avocados and coconut oil and fruits and veggies, your health will still be at risk because of the extra body fat even if your diet is all "healthy."

And there is nothing wrong with losing weight for aesthetic purposes - we're all human and I personally want to be healthy AND look good nekkid. :smile:
  • llwolford
    llwolford Posts: 109 Member
    Options

My weight fluctuates 2 to 4 pounds every day. The best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning after you have used the restroom. Then weigh yourself the same time either daily or weekly. What we eat, hormones, etc. Can all effect our weight. Stay consistent and be honest with your food journal. Your work will pay off. Do not focus on numbers, but becoming a healthier version of you.

• praveee
    praveee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Plz do not check your weight on a weekly basis.. continue eating within your calorie limit n excercise. Check your weight once a month or 2 n be patient. You will reach your goal.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    So just give it time. My only question is are you weighing all your food. It is very easy to eat more than you think.
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine! Don't get discouraged. This week I went out for dinner ( Italian) and I went to town on a bread basket with garlic butter. I had a doctor's appt the next day and all of a sudden - 5 pounds heavier. I know it's not accurate. Your weight will fluctuate constantly because stress, hormones, salt intake, water intake, bowel movements, tissue repair, inflammatory responses, etc.
    You didn't gain all this weight overnight and you aren't going to lose it all overnight either. It's important to have other goals besides the scale to prevent you from getting discouraged.
    Today I weighed in I'm back down to my weight and I lost half a pound this week. My goals are exercise and food oriented because I want them to be sustainable for my life. I find that when I focus on those goals ( running faster, longer workouts, eating more veggies a day, getting my water intake up, decreasing alcohol) and I achieve those small weekly goals, the scale going down is just an awesome side effect.