Herniated disc -Excercise ideas

Options
Chunkmunker
Chunkmunker Posts: 5 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a herniated disc that prolapsed last December. I'm experiencing a lot of sciatic pain, most of the time which I control with prescription pain killers. The biggest problem I am experiencing is that I'm unable to run, (I feel so jealous when I see people jogging) or do most other forms of exercise.

I've put on 2 stones since becoming injured and miss/need exercise. Does anyone have any suggestions for fitness routines for someone in my position? I'm yearning to really get a sweat going but have no ideas how (apart from that ;))

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Please talk to a physical therapist to get appropriate exercises.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    What @jemhh said.
    Also a calorie deficit will get those 2 stone off, running is not needed.

Cheers, h.
  • peejwolley17
    peejwolley17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I herniated two discs (L4-L5) last November...I understand your pain, emotionally and physically. I came across this post while looking to find someone who has been able to begin a lifting routine with similar issues to ours...it is hard to find anything on the subject!

I apologize for the length of this...I hope it helps.

Not exercising sucks...I kept my weight down by strict dieting since I was no longer running or lifting. I've actually lost weight in the process but I think it was just muscle melting off from lack of use...UGH.

After the initial month or so of being unable to move post-injury I had to do something, so I slowly began incorporating yoga; i.e. laying on the floor crying because of pain and frustration. But I kept at it, and eventually patched together a 30 minute routine that focuses on back flexibility and core strength that I do every morning (I mostly learned from Rodney Yee videos). I don't think I would be anywhere near as healed as I am today without it. I now have slowly been adding resistance bands to build and strengthen my stabilizer muscles (they also help my crappy knees), and have even been able to walk/jog a few miles 3 days a week. Now this has taken me nearly a year to get to this point with a few major fails along the way (going to hard too fast)...I feel strong now and I'm nearly pain free, I hope to find a lifting routine to get back in the game but it is pretty much starting at square one, and I've been unable to find one for people who are recovering from disc injuries.

As for pain management I tried everything...painkillers, drugs specifically for nerve pain, anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxers; they were hardly working. Finally at a friend's suggestion I went to see a kinesiologist and he changed my life. He incorporates chiropractic methods, chinese medicine, reflexology, and physical therapy to promote balance and self-healing...he even did a gait analysis. The sciatica (as I'm sure you know) is brutal...I ended up having to work through some major diet changes to combat it. It is now completely gone unless I eat the foods that cause inflammation; within 24 hours of consuming them my body is on fire. If you can find a kinesiologist near you, definitely go for it.

I hope you get back into exercising soon, stay positive. My boyfriend was in the same boat 3 years ago and he has made a full recovery (he's back to bodybuilding and running), it just takes time.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from a herniated disk in my C-6/7 at the end of July...I was in a lot of pain and my arms and hands were numb and tingly...I just completed 8 weeks of physical therapy and it has done wonders. I'm pain free and the numbness and tingling is gone save for I get little twinges here and there. I still can't do everything I'd like to do in the gym and my PT said to just gradually work back into things and to continue to focus on my rehab work...probably won't be 100% until Christmas or so. I have been cleared to get back on my bike, so that's good...

I'd highly recommend getting in to see a PT
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As others have said see a physical therapist. Most people will show some disc herniation on an MRI yet many are pain free. I have some herniation and after some work with a PT squat and deadlift pain free. My main issue was SI joint and psoas inflammation ( I was lying on the floor crawling to the bathroom pain level for 3 days).

Sitting is brutal on the SI joint and psoas. Do you sit a lot?
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Def talk to your physio &/or doctor, maybe ask if yoga & Pilates might be appropriate.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Professional physical therapy.
    I would like to very publicly thank Andrea for making it possible for me to deadline my own body weight. I may never do much more than that, but it's heck and gone better than not being able to carry my own groceries into the house.
  • Chunkmunker
    Chunkmunker Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi! I herniated two discs (L4-L5) last November...I understand your pain, emotionally and physically. I came across this post while looking to find someone who has been able to begin a lifting routine with similar issues to ours...it is hard to find anything on the subject!

I apologize for the length of this...I hope it helps.

Not exercising sucks...I kept my weight down by strict dieting since I was no longer running or lifting. I've actually lost weight in the process but I think it was just muscle melting off from lack of use...UGH.

After the initial month or so of being unable to move post-injury I had to do something, so I slowly began incorporating yoga; i.e. laying on the floor crying because of pain and frustration. But I kept at it, and eventually patched together a 30 minute routine that focuses on back flexibility and core strength that I do every morning (I mostly learned from Rodney Yee videos). I don't think I would be anywhere near as healed as I am today without it. I now have slowly been adding resistance bands to build and strengthen my stabilizer muscles (they also help my crappy knees), and have even been able to walk/jog a few miles 3 days a week. Now this has taken me nearly a year to get to this point with a few major fails along the way (going to hard too fast)...I feel strong now and I'm nearly pain free, I hope to find a lifting routine to get back in the game but it is pretty much starting at square one, and I've been unable to find one for people who are recovering from disc injuries.

As for pain management I tried everything...painkillers, drugs specifically for nerve pain, anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxers; they were hardly working. Finally at a friend's suggestion I went to see a kinesiologist and he changed my life. He incorporates chiropractic methods, chinese medicine, reflexology, and physical therapy to promote balance and self-healing...he even did a gait analysis. The sciatica (as I'm sure you know) is brutal...I ended up having to work through some major diet changes to combat it. It is now completely gone unless I eat the foods that cause inflammation; within 24 hours of consuming them my body is on fire. If you can find a kinesiologist near you, definitely go for it.

I hope you get back into exercising soon, stay positive. My boyfriend was in the same boat 3 years ago and he has made a full recovery (he's back to bodybuilding and running), it just takes time.

Thank you so much for all of your advice. This has been going on for about 9 months now and you've helped to show there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Lots of people have suggested seeing a physician and physiotherapist but, obviously, I have (lots and lots of times). All they say, regarding exercise, is to do something low impact, like swimming or cycling, but both hurt like hell.

I think yoga or Pilates will be my next step, based on your experiences of how well that kind of exercise worked for you.

MFP is a major help with focusing my mind on something else (I think I'm becoming addicted to meal logging