Help help

Options
I want to loose body fat and gain muscle any ideas will b appreciated ..

Replies

• robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Set MFP goals to gain 0.5 lbs per week. Lift heavy.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I follow a heavy lifting plan with supersets but I also incorporate HIIT and metabolic conditioning circuits and eat in a small deficit
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You cannot do both at the same time! Pick one goal, set your diet up appropriately, achieve it, set new goal. Repeat.

Personally I would lose bodyfat first then bulk.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Judging by OP's pic, he doesn't have much to lose. If he cuts now, his family will tell him he looks sick. Its fall. Bulk now, cut for spring.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You cannot do both at the same time! Pick one goal, set your diet up appropriately, achieve it, set new goal. Repeat.

Personally I would lose bodyfat first then bulk.

False. You can definitely gain some muscle while cutting fat. It's called a recomp and has been done by many people. I had a women client that when from 28% body fat down to 14.1% body fat with only a 3lb difference in weight. It did take two years to do that, but the results where impressive. @Hornsby got down to 7% body fat and gain good mass doing a recomp. If you have an adequate training stimulus (like a 3 day full body routine that is focused on compound progressive overload lifts) and have adequate nutrition, and you don't get frustrated with the timeline, it shouldn't be an issue.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

If the OP has a timeline, then bulk/cut might be better. But he should understand that while bulking, you are going to be gaining fat as well.
  • sskly48
    sskly48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree you can do both at the same time. Recomp is an option but it is quite slow.
    I have done so by eating at a moderate caloric deficit (15-20%) and still gaining muscle while losing fat.