Confused on fat goal...

Options
I've got my settings at default currently... and i find it very confusing that MFP would set a goal for saturated fats of 13g for me, but the "good fats" (mono & poly) have a goal of 0? Does anyone else think this is odd?

Replies

• artlover47
    artlover47 Posts: 76 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I think the 13g on saturated would be the limit to stay under, and that mono and poly wouldn't be monitored because they are the "good" ones. When I read my saturated fat grams, I don't try to meet that number, but I try not to exceed it. Hope that helps!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is the land of confusion, lol. Fats limits should have been a N/A, not a 0. Saturated fat is nutritionally neutral, all fats helps absorbsion of fat soluble vitamins, but unsaturated fats have additional benefits. Just be careful with trans fat. Basing your intake on home cooked food naturally takes care of that, as well as providing an overall balanced diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mono and poly don't have a limit, although it shows up as 0 instead of NA sometimes. Ignore it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Many folks consider the nutrients (especially fat, protein and fiber) as MINIMUMS. It's confusing to have a mix of minimums and maximums, IMHO. But zero unsat makes no sense either as a minimum or maximum.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've got my settings at default currently... and i find it very confusing that MFP would set a goal for saturated fats of 13g for me, but the "good fats" (mono & poly) have a goal of 0? Does anyone else think this is odd?

Because there is no formal recommendation for unsaturated fats and there is a recommended upper limit for saturated fat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I consider sat fats as better than many polyunsaturated fats. Vegetable oil? Canola oil? I'd skip it. Only polyunsaturated fats I ty to hit are Omega 3s.