Sunday = Oh dear!!

Options
So, yesterday i got up and weighed myself - i was down to 10st 2.6lbs. YIPPPEEEEEEEEE

Then...the boyfriends family have a BBQ and I. PIG. OUT. I enjoyed it and went over cals by about 700 i think. I didn't weigh myself this morning so I don't actually know how much Ive gained but I am guessing 2lbs
What I would like to know from you experienced MFP'ers is:

* Will going over my calories by that amount have a huge detrimental effect on my weight loss on Sunday? (Sunday is my official weigh-in)
*How can I counteract the amount I ate? Anything which will help me lose the excess?
*Is i such a bad thing to have a treat day once in a while? I usually do eat what I want on a Sunday and i'm not usually too bothered. This time though I feel a bit depressed and angry at myself> i know it's silly as I really enjoyed the BBQ with my boyfriend and his family. Deep down I know we shouldnt feel guilty for eating these things once in a while but its sooo hard!

Any tips for me?

Replies

• RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you only went over your calories by 700, then you only would have gained about 1/3 of a pound. Maybe. IF you did gain anything, it was more likely water weight if you were drinking a lot of soda.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. Just start fresh today and try and do better. You're going to have those days where you go over, and I think you should be able to enjoy it when you do.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing actually for a bday party/cookout yesterday and I was up right at 2 lbs but I kind of guessed I would be so It didnt bother me as it usually does so my plan is to drink my water exercise and keep my calories between 1200-1300 and see where your at in a couple days after couple days of being really good
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    one day wont kill you! drink a ton of water today and stay under your calories by 300 or so. (thats what i do, anyway) i weigh every day. i know a lot of people say not to but if you do it for a few weeks even, you can learn a lot about your body and how it responds to different foods and exercise.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    You're gonna see some water weight from the salt. But I think you'll be okay. Just get back up on the horse and continue what you're doing!
  • jocember
    jocember Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You have to consume an extra 3,500 calories on top of your BMR to gain 1 pound of fat. 700 calories over isn't great, of course, but it's not going to make you gain even 1 pound let alone several - you're going to have "bad" days, and you're also going to have days where it's not possible/you don't want to eat within your calorie target. That's okay. Just get back on the horse the next day and keep going. In fact, many successful dieters I know factor in one cheat day a month where they don't count calories or restrict foods so they don't go crazy from the limitations :)
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    What's done is done! Put it behind you, start fresh today, don't beat yourself up. Try to analyze the situation and see if you can come up with ways (in the future to do better).

Example - When I KNOW I am going to be around lots of wonderful food, I try to cut back a little on breakfast and lunch. Then I TRY to make healthy choices and get proper portions.

You cannot deny yourself treats and special tidbits all the time. When you do fall off the wagon (and you will), you will fall of big time. BUT if you can learn to reward yourself from time to time (within reason), you will be more likely to stick to the straight and narrow.

THIS is a lifestyle change; not a diet. It is for the rest of your life. You have to find a balance in your life with your eating and exercise.

Good Luck!

Mary
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Going over shouldn't offset your weigh-in too much. Just be really good for the rest of the week and you may even see a loss.

To counteract, make sure you get your water in to flush out what was likely extra sodium in those treats. And maybe get some extra exercise in this week to sweat it out.

I have at least one day a week where I go over at least a few hundred calories and I continue losing pretty consistently. The way I see it, you have to do this in a way that's livable for the rest of your life. You know your weekends will likely include things like BBQs and evenings out with friends/your significant other, so you just have to make it part of your weekly plan. If you're right on target the rest of the week, one day of going over a bit won't hurt. 700 is more than a little bit though so maybe next time, make a promise to yourself to be a little better. If it was drinking, find lighter drinks (hard liquor with diet mixes or light beer) and if it's the food, how about bringing your own side dish like a big salad or even pasta salad that's light. That's how I usually tackle BBQs - mostly eat my own light dish and just have little tastes of the other things.
  • zazoo11687
    Options
    Going over by 700 probably isnt going to hurt that much as long as its only every once in a while. As for having a cheat day... try to limit it to one cheat meal a week. Going crazy for one meal wont hurt your weight loss goals much as piging out all day.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    One day splurge like that won't make you gain 2 pounds. Add some extra exercise this week and you'll be fine.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    If I did that, I'd eat a lot of veggies today and keep away from high sodium foods. Drink lots of water, too.
  • helloclaire
    helloclaire Posts: 191
    Options
    Like other posters said, I would not worry too much. I've had a few days in which I did indulge somewhat, and I didn't gain much overall. Sure, the day right after it shows a bit, but overall it doesn't affect much. :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry to much.. I over indulged a bit this whole weekend and this morning I was up a pound on the scale... but I also did not drink my water like I should, so thats most likely what it is... I doubt I over ate by 3,500 calories in one weekend!

Try weighing again on thursday/friday and see what the scale says... I'm sure it will be back to normal. Thats why my official weigh in is always on thursday or friday.. because I know that I tend to go a little wild on the weekends and I don't want to get a false reading.
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    Oh, I also try to do extra on the treadmill to allow me some extra calories. I am lucky because I work from home and I work for myself. So I can REALLY plan my meals ahead. I don't keep junk food in the house; so I am not tempted. I DO keep healthy treats and snacks around.

Saturday we went on a group motorcycle ride. The destination is ALWAYS a restaurant. The food was delicious. I had a VERY small dinner to make up for my big lunch. No harm; no foul.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Unless you're on maintenance and went over by 700 cals, no it shouldn't have an affect on your weight loss, besides water weight.
    Like you, I did well yesterday until really late at night and pigged out! I logged some of the binging, but not all of it. I was disappointed, for sure, but today is another day. One day going high won't do much damage at all and if anything, will help pump your metabolism up (search "calorie cycling"). Don't weight yourself today, but in a few days (after eating within your calories again) check your weight and don't be surprised to see a loss. This has happened to me once or twice before last night and every time I've kept losing, steadily.

Keep it going!