Which fitness tracker??

Options
I'm looking into getting a fitness tracker to give me a better idea of how many calories I'm burning. After doing my internet research, however, I'm suffering from information overload and feeling very muddled!

I'm looking for a tracker that will give me accurate calories estimations for things like cycling and hiit sessions - I know those kind of exercises can throw some devices off a bit. I'm imagining one with a heart-rate monitor would probably be the way forward, but I could be wrong. Affordability is a factor too - I can't really afford top-of-the-range models quite yet.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Replies

• TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivoactive and if you can afford it, Vivoactive HR.
  • qwikstreet
    qwikstreet Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am waiting on a good deal for ViviactiveHR. I did come across the older Fenix2 real cheap but this is the older version of Garmin's high end fitness watch.

http://slickdeals.net/f/9152151-garmin-fenix-2-smart-watch-black-159-99-8-rakuten-cash-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I love the vivofit 2. Waterproof for swimming, no charging and a 1 year battery life. Can't beat it!
  • esckaiftw
    esckaiftw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really like the UA Record app. Avg and Peak HR, intensity and Will Power. WP is a UA score that is a dynamic rating from 1-10. Each subsequent level is hard than the last and its difficulty over all becomes higher the more you train. Additionally it charts your heart rate.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    qwikstreet wrote: »
    I am waiting on a good deal for ViviactiveHR. I did come across the older Fenix2 real cheap but this is the older version of Garmin's high end fitness watch.

http://slickdeals.net/f/9152151-garmin-fenix-2-smart-watch-black-159-99-8-rakuten-cash-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

Don't get the Fenix 2. It has a reputation of frustrating its users. The Fenix 3 is a fantastic device but people have more bad than good things to say about the 2.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Also a Garmin fan. I have the HR and I definitely consider it a splurge but when my Vivosmart died I put that refund toward it. It's a great tracker and I haven't regretted it. I did shop around and the lowest price I found the regular was $150 and the HR $250. Sam's Club and Costco have a couple of the Garmin options at a good price and with Costco you get the automatic warranty.
  • richmond2410
    richmond2410 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I really like the misfit shine. It is cheap and lets me track swimming and biking. Also no charging. The battery usually lasts me about 3 months.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Garmin 230 with a scosche rhythm+ HRM. I'm not sold on the wrist based heart rate monitors yet.

I have the Fenix3 and it works great but it is a lot more $. The 230 should do what you need.
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar A300 with the heart rate monitor for working out. It counts my steps and increases my goal automatically to push me. I get phone notifications and it has workout session timers for cycling, running, group exercise, indoor/outdoor exercise. It notifies me to sync with my device when history is full and tells me when I have been seating to long and need to get up and move. Haaa I think I just sold myself on it again lol
  • joyceeyoung3
    joyceeyoung3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Veryfit 2.0, it was cheap and does what I wanted it for. I only walk and it tells me the number of steps a day, and also calories burned, and also records my sleep. I have sleep apnea and so got it to make sure I was getting the proper sleep. I was not sure it was accurate but knew it was close. I recently got a new machine that records the sleep info also and it is pretty close to my tracker. My problem is I would like to record my steps on Fitness Pal, but my tracker is not one of the ones that works with it. and I can not find anywhere to record it manually. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?