Women's Horror Stories regarding Men, Stereotypes, and Misogyny in the pursuit of fitness

Options
Fitness Family... I hear whispers and allusions to horribly wrong situations and opinions that Men present to Women while in the gym, online here on MFP, and other arenas. I want to hear the full stories. I want to know what Women experience behind closed doors, or in the loneliness of an empty gym, and hopefully draw strength and insight from sharing those experiences second-hand. I don't want to start a witchhunt or "out" any users, because invariably, someone will feel the need to target and threaten named MFP users. I just want a central place for Men like me to read the full stories of Women like you, and maybe even some suggestions on how to intervene or hold Men accountable in the long run.

Replies

• llwolford
    llwolford Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi Kevin, Most of my gym encounters have been very positive. Only had one really strange encounter at night. Unfortunately, the lights are on a timer in my small gym. So if they do not detect motion they go off. So, I think I am alone in the gym on the rowing machine. The lights go off because I am not under the sensor. Then a man comes walking out of the men's restroom dripping wet with just a towel around his waist. Goes out of his way to walk around my machine says hello good work. Goes back into the bathroom. Just odd. 10 minutes later he leaves. There is my odd encounter with an older guy. :) Other than that, I actually see a lot of the reverse older women stalking younger men.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with men at the gym. I do have issues with other women at the gym though
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with men at the gym. I do have issues with other women at the gym though

Funny, I've never had an issue with men at the gym either. Women, on the other hand...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

Funny, I've never had an issue with men at the gym either. Women, on the other hand...

I get comments about the fact I lift heavy and "helpful" women who suggest I should join them in body pump because I'm going to get bulky lol
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

I get comments about the fact I lift heavy and "helpful" women who suggest I should join them in body pump because I'm going to get bulky lol

Those body pump classes would be better if the leader had someone else keeping people in proper form.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options

8-) I have rarely belonged to gyms, but I joined one for the summer a few years ago so that I could use the treadmills instead of running in the heat. The same woman would get on the treadmill right next to mine every time I was there. She's hop on, lean over to look at my pace and try to race me. If I sped up, she'd speed up. It was actually pretty funny because I just don't compete with anyone but myself. I've also had the lifting will make you look like a man comments. Really? I've been lifting for years, do I look like a man?
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I try not to think of these encounters as personally directed at me but still generally interesting/creepy!

I understand the need to rest between sets, but if you are sitting on the bike behind me or any other female for the 30 or so minutes while they are on the elliptical or treadmill - I am now on alert when I leave the gym!

Even if you are next to me on a machine, doing nothing or very little and run off as soon as I start my cool-down, I've pegged you as a creep.

This is in general and applies to men and women - When you have decided not to talk on the phone and catch up but do it at the gym while 'exercising' you are now on my 'dagger stare' list!

Outside of the gym, I tend to get told that I am doing everything wrong. When a discussion arises about working out it seems that the male species is destined to tell the female each and every thing she is doing should be done differently. I take that with less than a grain of salt, but it still annoys me!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The guys at my gym have been encouraging of my 147 lb weight loss.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I used to swim regularly, not strongly or particularly well. One morning I was doing my thing up and down near the wall, out of the way of those who were much stronger when two young lads started ploughing up and down by my side, displacing all and sundry. I asked for my space to be respected, no joy. On my way out I commented to the member of staff, bless her she called them out. Probably to the relief of the other swimmers.

I now have difficulties in public spaces because of the perfumes, laundry residues, cleaning products and the like. Thinking now. That is the principal memory of I had of my swimming days.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've only had an issue with two guys at the gym. One was trying to look down women's shirts and the other was trying to touch various women, even trapping one in a corner. I told the staff and both were banned.

I've gotten lots of nasty remarks from women about my body or my lifting, never from a man though.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any bad gym run-ins or experiences with men. I've never actually had any of that type of thing happen to me in my life, period, so I suppose I am fortunate.

Online I've had a couple of "off" PMs. One was from a man saying something like "I bet your socks are really cute," which was weird but made me laugh. The other was from a man (who I had previously had normal interactions with on the board) who was all "hey, I finally have visible abs! Check it out!" with a picture of him pretty much naked with just his hands covering his junk. I called him out on it as inappropriate and he was all "oh, I didn't mean anything by that, honest." Right.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I have had a number of inappropriate PM's on this forum from guys. I think they must be bulk mailings. What young man would want to come on to someone old enough to be their mother or sometimes grand mother.

Guys at the gym are great.

Cheers, h.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    No bad encounters at the gym, I do however have a host of inappropriate PMs asking for pictures, wanting to meet up, and my favourite: the long messages about what they would like to do with me. Fortunately I know where the block button is.

I was however slightly amused by the guy who I told I was not interested in, was not going to send him pics and I am already taken, sending me about 15 abusive messages as he flew off his handle. He's now blocked too.

But mainly I have not had too many bad experiences here. My friends list is supportive and friendly. The forum I belong to is the most welcoming place. Only the few odd males.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Something feels off about this. I can't put my finger on it though

The only issues I've ever had at the gym were from my own insecurities and perceptions, my own inner dialogue telling me people are watching (they're not), people are judging (they're not) ...switch it in your head and all is well

• unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This happens to me almost always. I travel a lot, so every year or so, I will have to go to a different park for training. And everywhere, the first thing the new guys would want to do is to ask me if I need help. And everytime, they get super impressed watching me perform like a normal person and not as what they think (a female). Note : I have been training parkour, calisthenics from my childhood, long before it became hype/popular and in the early years, those guy kids at park were never like this, instead we used to compete and what not. But yeah, I am cool with the situation.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any weird encounters at a gym or on the forums with men or with women. When I used to go to gym the women were polite and social, smiles and funny comments to each other and the men just kept to themselves occasionally admiring their hard work in the mirror which made me smile. I opted for a women only gym later on despite not having any negative encounters because I was just uncomfortable worrying about potential wardrobe malfunctions around men. I don't belong to any gym now and prefer to do home workouts.

On MFP I never got any inappropriate private messages. Actually I rarely get any private messages except on rare occasions about something related to a forum topic. My overall experience with both men and women has been positive both at gyms and fitness websites.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

I agree.

• suzymum1985
    suzymum1985 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've never had a bad experience at the gym as I tend to just switch off and focus on what I'm doing plus the gym I go to is quite small so only ever see maybe 1 person there x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »

I agree.

I thought that when I read the OP a couple of days ago...
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any bad experience at the gym really. There's a reflective window in front where everyone works out and quite often you can see men watching your behind as you work out! That annoys me and makes me feel self conscious..I find the women to be bitchy. Never towards me but I have seen them laughing or whispering about other members if they are doing something wrong etc
    And yeh plenty of odd DMs on here but you just ignore them