Ribs showing - advice please

Options
Ricksh1000
Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have had progressive weight loss over the last 5 months that looks like this:

Start weight: 184lbs
Current weight: 154lbs
Goal weight: 147lbs
TDEE: 2110
Current cals: 1810
Height: 5ft 6" (male)

I moved to losing only 0.5lbs a week about 2 weeks ago to glide into maintenance at goal, whilst heavy lifting 3 times per week at gym (1560cals to 1810cals)
Last night I was lying on the floor stretching and my partner commented on the prominence of my ribs showing. I have read posts of people being big / small build. I am naturally big/wide build.

When i check my bmi against online charts i am still currently just over the ok zone. I still have a small amount of belly fat, but nothing major.

Her comments prompted me think to go straight to maintenance whilst continuing my weekly lifting routines, but i'm still concious of belly fat and getting to 'ok' bmi zone.

What should i do?

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You were laying down. Gravity.
    Anyways, If you like how you look and feel good then stay at maintenance. If you want to lose a few more lbs then do that.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell without a picture, but it's pretty natural for ribs to show when you're lying down. Even when I still had quite a bit of belly fat, my ribs would stick out if I laid down on my back.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you were lying down. Also, it's not that uncommon for ribs to show a little. I'm pear shaped so if I want to get truly slim my ribs start showing, even when I'm not lying down.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yeah, you were lying down. Also, it's not that uncommon for ribs to show a little. I'm pear shaped so if I want to get truly slim my ribs start showing, even when I'm not lying down.

I still have a bit of abdominal fat (estimate around 18-20'ish% BF), and my lower ribs show a clear outline against my shirt when I'm standing up. It looks almost like I have two sets of pecs. I've just always had a very prominent ribcage. Thanks genetics!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Anvil_Head wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

I still have a bit of abdominal fat (estimate around 18-20'ish% BF), and my lower ribs show a clear outline against my shirt when I'm standing up. It looks almost like I have two sets of pecs. I've just always had a very prominent ribcage. Thanks genetics!

Yeah I have lower abdominal fat too. My ribs don't show too much at the moment because I'm being a fatty, BUT the left side sticks out farther than the right and it's wildly noticeable.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    5'6" , 154 lbs is a BMI of 24.9 ; anything under 25 is considered "healthy"

What you do for your aesthetic goals is your choice, but you are not medically overweight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ribs show when standing for many normal weight people, it isn't a sign of being too skinny

And lying down stretching ribs show for many more people because of gravity

It's interesting that you both perceive this as problematic
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for all your replies. It is 30+ years since i've been this weight and am still getting used to the (positive) change.

I actually don't see it as a problem as I'm doing this for me first and foremost. I suppose with my post i am tapping into like-minds with experience of 'normal' for a bit of reassurance.
    It's interesting to see some of you guys having 18-19% BF and still have some belly fat. My not so trusty body analysis scales say 23.9%, but i take that reading with a pinch of salt.
    Mr Anvil_Head i am similar with that prominent ribcage! :D
  • ShogunOfWano
    ShogunOfWano Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am your height and overweight but my ribs from a side can be seen.
    If you are 154lb than you are not overweight.