Coffee?

Options
Okay so im a massive coffee addict
How many coffees a day should i be drinking to lose weight?
When im at home i have instant coffee with only about 20mls skimmed milk
When im out i get small size skinny lattes
I drink on average 3-4 a day
Is this okay?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well count the milk and see what you can manage in your calorie allowance

20ml skimmed milk x 5 a day is probably 50 calories

But 1 skinny latte is probably twice that
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    All that matters for weight loss is the calories in the coffee you consume. Black coffee is very low calorie. I want to say something like 5 calories per cup. So it's really what you put in it that you need to think about and account for. The way I make my coffee it has about 30 calories per serving. I make room in my calorie allotment for three or four of those a day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You aren't addicted - you just enjoy your drinks, which is fine.
    By the way instant coffee is never OK!! :smiley:

Look at your entire diet and calorie count and don't focus on one tiny component of your diet (noun).
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Mayb change your milk to something like almond? Which is lower in calories..
    I like a coffee but i restrict myself to 1-2 a day and have the skinny version
    Tea on the other hand is my downfall. I could drink that all day !
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Typically drink 8 or more coffee a day with 2% milk and sugar, total of 36 calories each. I fit it in before anything else.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Coffee doesn't help or hinder weight loss, unless the caffeine gives you pep to go exercise. Just be sure to count the calories that you add into it.

If it helped with weight loss, I'd probably weigh negative pounds at this point.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Enjoy as much as you like, just account for the calories of what you put in it. I'm having a latte at Starbucks as I type this-- 190 calories already logged :)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Coffee is not for weight loss but to prevent needless violence against others. I mean really..... SMH..... ;)
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Anything is ok as long as it fits within your calorie limits.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I use 3-4 tablespoons of half and half cream with my daily coffee -- that's 60-80 cals and worth it to me. I sweeten my coffee (and tea when I have it) with stevia. The fancy drinks at places like Starbucks are a different matter - most of them are loaded with calories due to the flavorings put in them as well as the milk. I wouldn't call 3-4 coffees a day a massive addiction.

It's like being on a spending budget -- you have to decide what to spend your daily calories on. For me, the 80 cals for cream in my coffee is worth it; others might make different choices.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I drink coffee instead of eating, so I'll be generous with the cream and sugar. I usually don't go beyond 5 tablespoons of cream and 4 sugars per day though (for 2-3 large coffees).

Coffee is not for weight loss. It does help me stay in a deficit though, go to the bathroom, and gives me energy to get through my day.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    i add heavy cream (and/or butter ) to decaf, coffee or tea---makes it so yummy.

If i need a sweetener then some kind of liquid Stevia when at home and if away from home have found these great Stevia packets:

http://www.wholeearthsweetener.com/products/nature-sweet/