Eating dinner and then working out?

Options
Hi all,

I've been doing 30 Day Shred in the mornings and a run/walk program on the treadmill in the evenings. I'm usally super hungry when I get home from work (even though I typically have an afternoon snack), so I've been eating dinner and then working out afterwards, rather then working out right after work and then eating dinner.

It doesn't seem to be a problem....I usually wait about 20 - 30 minutes after dinner before getting on the treadmill, I don't have any stomach cramps or anything while running, and I'm not hungry afterwards so it's not like working out later is making me eat more later or anything. Someone once told me that it's bad to work out after eating a full meal though (I don't know how reliable their advice is), so I thought I'd check in with you guys. Is there any reason why working out 20 minutes or so after dinner would be a problem?

Thanks!
-Pam

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Might be bad because it can cause cramping etc. but you seem fine. :)
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Agreed, generally it is suggested that you work out on an empty stomach for the following reasons:
    1) For Cardio working out on an empty stomach burns more fat (supposedly)
    2) Cramps, vomiting, etc..
    3) when you are full (for me if I workout within 1.5 hours of eating) I can't seem to get the same level of workout going...

My Personal Trainer says for strength training, you should eat 1-2 hours before working out AND it should be carbs for energy as well as some protein - followed up with a heavy protein meal RIGHT after the workout (as soon after as possible) for recovery purposes...

:shrugs: - if you are enjoying it, seeing the benefits and not suffering ill effects - Keep it up I say :)
  • zazoo11687
    Options
    Its all about how you feel. It you have the energy to workout that soon after eating and dont get cramps or get sick i dont see any reason why you shouldnt. Personaly i like to wait an hour just because if i dont i feel very sluggish during my workouts.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's bad, but it's how I've always worked out. I have a family to feed, so we eat when I get home & get it fixed. After the dishes are done, I head down to the basement and get on the treadmill, etc. If I had to work out first, then eat, I'd never work out because it doesn't fit my schedule to do it that way. I say as long as it's working for you, keep it up!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    it can cause cramping but it's actually better to have a little snack before working out... your car needs gas to run, your body needs calories!
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I also eat supper early and than work out later. I hate eating late and I don't get home until nearly six so by the time I cook and clean up it is after 7 and than I work out about 8 or so. I have lost weight and it has not affected me any other way.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    95% of my workouts are after supper. I usually let it settle for about an hour or so, but I haven't had any trouble.
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    That all makes sense. I hadn't thought about workouts being tougher on a fuller belly....maybe I'll try to wait longer after I eat and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks, everyone!
  • ecschultz09
    ecschultz09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry after I workout, I would wait to eat till after you are done. Just make sure you don't over eat!