Trader Joe's!

Options
They are opening a Trader Joe's in my city on Friday! I am so excited because I heard a lot of positive stuff about that place!

What are your favorite Trader Joe's items? Some simple stuff that I can buy healthier/cheaper there? :happy: Can't wait! I will be making a trip there this weekend for sure! (It is going to be a madhouse I bet though so I would like a few items I can just go find really quick lol)

Replies

• caitastic24
    caitastic24 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    SOOOO many good things I don't know where to begin lol! There's frozen fajita veggies that are great for stir frys, israeli couscous (follow the recipe on the back, it's amazing!!!), lots of good cereals, dried fruit, etc.

Have fun shopping (:

Caitlin
  • loseatonlady
    loseatonlady Posts: 160
    Options
    Nuts are great & Great prices! Love the Southwest Chipotle Hummus on flatbread wholegrain crackers! Tons of great stuff there and works with just about any diet plan! WISH we had one locally - I have to drive 35 min to get to one here! ENJOY exploring TJ's!
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    Options
    trader joes is great!! they are able to give great prices on things because they limit their variety on certain items, like instead of having 3 brands of canned corn, they offer 1 and its typically a great product. lots of interesting foods there!! enjoy!!

Edit: I got so excited about trader joes that I googled locations and they are putting one in my area of state college pa by the end of the year!! YAY!!
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Ezekiel Bread, and they also have these 100 calorie chocolate bars (they're usually by the cash registers). I also love their Chicken Shu Mai Dumplings...they taste just like potstickers but have half the calories!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I've found that basic fruit like bananas and apples are always cheaper at Trader Joe's because they charge for each individual banana/apple as opposed to by the pound. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE their nonfat greek yogurt with honey, the ranchero egg white salad and their light string cheese. There is also some super yummy chicken enchiladas with salsa verde in the freezer section.
  • raccoon3
    raccoon3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Their whole grain dijon mustard is super cheap and AWESOME for mixing w/olive oil & veggies before roasting, or using in homemade dressing. (I don't really like mustard on sandwiches, but I'm guessing if you do it'd be fantastic there too) Just used it for roasting some potatoes last night, and one jar goes quite a long way.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My fav nutritional/financial bargain at Trader Joe's is their brown rice in the frozen section. It comes three packets to the box and you just cut a slit in the packet, throw it in the microwave for three minutes and you are ready to go!

One word of caution - Everyone always things that because something is at Trader Joe's it is good for you, read the labels like anywhere else - a lot of stuff has a high calorie/fat content ratio.
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    they have simply chicken strips - precooked white meat breast strips - good to snack on to get ur protein - and pre-shelled edamame. good things to take to work to snack on....
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    OH! I love that place! Our nearest one is an hour away, but so worth it.

I am able to purchase things there that I can not get in our little town. Arugula and Fingerling potatoes are two things that come to mind. I also like their organic quinoa, bulk olive oil, spices and they have a great shampoo/conditioner with tea tree oil that is pretty good, too.
  • lagreen83
    lagreen83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love their goyza, the shrimp ones are the best and the vanana low fat yogurt is to die for!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    HUMMUS and pita chips
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Ezekiel Bread, and they also have these 100 calorie chocolate bars (they're usually by the cash registers). I also love their Chicken Shu Mai Dumplings...they taste just like potstickers but have half the calories!

I need to try these.....I am waiting for OP to get a whole foods already dangit!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Only thing I've had from there is their Pound Plus chocolate bars.... belgian chocolate I do believe? it's great to portion out and I think we're going on a month with this current bar sitting here.... chocolate you want to savour ;)
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    They have nearly any kind of dried fruit imaginable. I would pick the most unusual fruits I could just to eat them in front of my coworkers and see their reactions.
    Oh and their soy ice cream selection is nice as well-although I guess that isn't really something you're looking for I'm sure.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    If you eat rice, they have a brown basmati that's really tasty (it's what converted my family from white). Also - there are a ton of pre-made DELICIOUS salads - perfect for work, and only about $4 each. I used to actually buy them for my kids to take to school for lunches - easy on me, and the same cost (and way healthier) than what they were getting at school. There are also Tuna in Red Curry packets that are pretty healthy and tasty. I was a bit leery, because they are in the boxed foods section, but they were actually tasty.

Their cheese selection is also really nice. :) OH and they have frozen basil cubes - so much tastier than dried!

BTW - I'm jealous! I am 45 min from the closest TJs. :cry:
  • Nanpoodle
    Nanpoodle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh my....you will absolutely LOVE Trader Joe's as I do. My favorite is their GREEK Yogurts.......tons of protein and tasty too ;) My husband loves their Extra Pulp Orange Juice and when we are out, I must make a trip to the TJ. ah yes, and their milk chocolate 100 calorie candy bars are the best...all their chocolate actually. I could go on and on....but, enjoy!
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    YUM! Definitely try the orange chicken. It is frozen and you bake it and then add the sauce on top. Both items are in the archives and if you have one cup of it with half a cup of rice, it's around 300 calories! Add some grilled veggies and you've got yourself a delicious meal! Also, since there are no artificial flavors or preservatives, the sodium is not bad at all. One of my Trader Joe's favorites!

Also, something called Fiberful Ends and Pieces. They have these Fiberful Fruit Leathers but every once in a while they will get in bags of the edges that they have cut off to make the bars. They have every flavor like kiwi, strawberry, blackberry, etc. Delicious! They are usually by the nuts and dried fruits. I check that section every time I go just to see if they have them! I'm told they are so popular that they run out every time they get them in!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Nuts! *snicker* The nuts are so flippin' cheap there. Lots of tasty options, too. Wasabi Almonds, Blister Peanuts, 50% Less Salt Mixed Nuts.

Almond Meal. So cheap there.

Soy & Flax Tortilla Chips, so yummy and lotsa fiber up in there so you can go hang out in the turlet.

Cheap imported cheeses, like my favourite: Morbier.

Quick Cook Steel Cut Oatmeal. It's like magic.

Simply Lite Dark Chocolate, near the registers. Low Carb, Sugar Free.

Cafe Pajaro ultra dark roast coffee. I'm hump it if it weren't a hot, steaming liquid. Perhaps the beans though...

Nuts? Let me mention the nuts again... go for the nuts alone.

EDIT: Their sprouted bread, TJs own brand is quite good as well.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Ooh so many good things!! One of my favorite places to shop!

- Greek Yogurt - their brand is amazing and high protein - read the label to make sure you get the right one
    - Everything Pretzel Thins
    - Kettle Corn (in a pink bag)
    - Quinoa
    - Turkey Meatloaf cupcakes wtih mashed potato "frosting"
    - Hummus
    - Turkey Meatballs YUM!
    - Dark Chocolate covered espresso beans (one of my favorites treats)
    - Gyoza Sauce, Yellow Curry, Red Curry Simmer (all in jars)
    - Harvest Grain Blend
    - Agave
    - Coffee!

Aside from food...I love their shampoo/conditioner and the mango shaving cream...it smells like summer :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I love their tempeh, 7 grain bread, ff plain yogurt, unsweetened soy milk, nuts, trail mixes, dried cranberries, oats, frozen veggies, 100 cal sweet potatoes, and spiced soy beans!

edit: and as everyone's mentioned... the 100cal dark chocolate bars. orgasmic. you don't even know!