30 Day Shred killed my knees?

Options
Has this happened to anyone else? I had to quit because it was ruining my knees. I am training for a marathon for a charity and it was adversely affecting my runs. The scale has not moved very much within the past couple of months and I am getting very discouraged. I'm trying to find a different strength/core program that I can do 3x per week and that will kickstart my metabolism. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    pilates. I did 30 day shred imy knees were fine, i did it bare a foot on a thick soft carpet.
  • kimberlygo
    kimberlygo Posts: 74
    Options
    It killed my knees, too! I had to give my 30DS DVD away to a friend :(
  • WowieGarcia
    Options
    Raises hand.

Tried it again a couple of weeks ago hoping that rest from the 30DS has made my knees better...nope.

Surprisingly, the kettlebell workout are awesome on my knees. Probably because of proper distribution of the weight when I do my squats. Running also is surprisingly knee-pain free for me.
  • LeahRandom
    LeahRandom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with runner's knee, although I didn't get it from running. I would see a Dr. if you haven't already, they can give you specific stretches/exercises to help your knee heel, and determine exactly what has happened to it, and make sure nothing is badly injured. Ice a few times a day is always good. Try to find exercises that don't irritate your knee. Lying on your back or side and doing leg lifts strengthens the muscles around the knee that support the knee cap. I tried a regular elliptical, but found it still hurt my knee, I'm using a Gazelle glider now for aerobics with no problems. Yoga and Pilates are good bets too. Good Luck!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Try doing actual knee strengthening excercises. Sounds like you're all cardio which would leave your supportive muscles weak. Start doing those squats, and leg lifts, and such. Start hitting those weights or bodyweight excercises to build up your support network.
  • suzwirthlin
    Options
    This has happened to me. I was training for a marathon, did the 30 day shred a couple of times and it was too much for my knees. I do not think it is a very safe workout for someone w/ joint pain. I like the ab, upper body portion of that workout but don't like all the jumping jacks, lunges, etc. I read in one running book not to do any side-to-side knee movements during your training because the knee is already under-going so much stress. Avoid tennis, basketball, etc - and the 30 day shred. Try to stick w/ push-ups, plank exercises and leg lifts. I take lunges really slow. There are so many great suggestions on runners world.
  • jacmomma
    jacmomma Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm happy it wasn't just me! My knees were fine until I started doing the Shred. Love Runner's World - have to explore it more!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I do modified lunges and side lunges with the 30DS and JM's other DVDs. I keep my feet planted in a "safe" position that feels good on my knees and go from there. I don't return to the starting position with feet togethere, but keep them out in the lunge while doing all 30 seconds of the activity. That has helped my knees ALOT. I also watch my squats and make sure I'm back on my heels.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I find the opposite: my knees are better for running now that my quads are getting evenly stronger. I do modified versions of many of the squats, plyometrics, etc. due to a history of knee problems, though; years ago, a sports doc taught me my limitations and I still follow them religiously. I think that's what has saved me, and reading this thread, I really think it sounds like the DVD just plain isn't good for the knees if you do it without modifications.
  • spade74
    spade74 Posts: 42
    Options
    Yeah, same here. before having my 3rd baby, i drop 10 pounds doing Yoga Meltdown. :happy: you should try that if you like doing yoga