Ketosis

Options
If anyone else HATES the symptoms associated w/ Ketosis OR/AND can help me with it, i'd appreciate it. I know exactly WHAT it is, but how can I move forward with this happening to me!~? It makes me want to eat eat eat! Here is a great link to use if you want to learn more about it.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm

Replies

• skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    when I have time I will have to look at it.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    If anyone else HATES the symptoms associated w/ Ketosis OR/AND can help me with it, i'd appreciate it. I know exactly WHAT it is, but how can I move forward with this happening to me!~? It makes me want to eat eat eat! Here is a great link to use if you want to learn more about it.

Slowly increase your carb intake cause that is the reason it is happening to you. If you dont mind me asking how do your infact know that your body is in a state of ketosis? have you not be eating anything just meats? because your body gets carbs from just about everything you consume some meats have dont have many sugars in them but almost everything does.
  • GooneyAngel
    Options
    Burning fat as opposed to burning muscle is a good thing. I am not sure why this is bothering you. What symptoms are you experiencing?
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Hi,

I was going to go through ketosis with a veggie juice cleanse but i realized i should just eat veggies instead.

ketosis, being the body devouring our insides (fat, then muscle for those that have more fat than muscle and vice-a-versa for those that have more muscle than fat), also depends on the amount of carbs we eat (or not eat) to trigger ketosis.

people who go through ketosis usually eat more fat and protein (if they have to cut out their carbs) to lose weight.

I can't criticize too much as the atkin's diet works wonders and is incredibly fast (results, but I secretly think it is the amount of water the diet also calls for).

The reason why i don't like ketosis is when you eat more protein, your kidneys are then working too hard and you might damage it. If your kidney is already damaged, overeating protein will show the problem right away.

Also, I believe that only eating meat and fat is not sustainable, it's a great diet but can you do it for the rest of your life?

My belief, and this is only my belief, is to make a lifestyle change that you can follow all your life and not be overweight, not starve and be mentally strong enough to resist foods that are clearly bad for you (foods high in sugar for example).

I am sure there are differing views. I know that what I do is sustainable and that I can enjoy a life without worrying about damaging my body organs even further.

Good luck with your health search.
  • FHWguy
    FHWguy Posts: 15
    Options
    I've done it a few times now over the years. Only the first week is bad for me... Easiest way for me to get started was to just eat everything you want that doesn't have carbs, and slowly your body adjusts to not being so hungry. Then you can adjust your diet later to be a bit healthier.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, it isn't ketosis itself that is effective for weight loss, but more of a side-effect. Your body release ketones as your glycogen is depleted.

I've experiemented with various diets. I've done the entire spectrum of low-mod-high carb diets and have found that non-ketogenic low carbs diets are just as effective for me as full-blown ketogenic diets. Unless you have a specific medical condition or a particular sensitivity to carbs, I would try a non-keto low carb diet.

Another option would be a cyclical ketogenic diet, whereby you stay under 50 grams per day except for one or two days of the week (carb refeed days)....preferably on days you train.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I can't criticize too much as the atkin's diet works wonders and is incredibly fast (results, but I secretly think it is the amount of water the diet also calls for).

For the first two weeks, a large percentage of the sudden weight loss when going keto will in fact be water-loss. On a more long-term basis, I think there is another factor in play here and that is the reduction of the tendency to underestimate calories consumed. It is hard to eat enough calories when restricting carbs.

Yesterday, I had a few mini Upper Crust Baker scones and a small slice of coffee cake from TJ's.... 500 calories but it didn't make a dent in my hunger. It felt like I ate nothing. Try eating the equivalent in wild alaskan sockeye filets... almost impossible in one sitting. :laugh: There-in lies one of the many dynamics in play when it comes to low-carb diets (disclaimer...for people that aren't carb sensitive! For carb sensitive folks, it truly is an effective eating plan).
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Not a doctor or an expert on Adkins. But I believe it increases the risk of heart disease.

Ketosis, as far as I know, is not a healthy state for your body.

My advice: stay away from all the gimicks. Just log your calories, stay within the 1 lb per week calorie plan, exercise, drink plenty of water, repeat.
  • PtownKween
    PtownKween Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The headaches and dreams are my symptoms.. its REALLY painful in my head! i dont have headaches at all ever.. so this is something i hate.. i wish it would just end. i have been eating a balance of good foods, meat, TONS of veggies and fruits.