So many theories on cardio

Options
I've read where the HIIT cardio and the steady pace cardio are both helpful to lose weight? I've been doing both, and nothing is changing. WHY ?

Replies

• Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes, they both burn calories and help. Have you been eating a lot more when you do them? How long have you been trying?
  • Angelcat714
    Angelcat714 Posts: 17 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Thank you for your responses. Cardio bores me, so I generally do 20-30 min of HIIT or 30 min of steady pace cardio, 4x week. Just started tracking my daily calories on here. And no, I'm not weighing my food. I've never had extra body fat until I was in my mid 30's. My diet and exercise has not really changed. Sounds like, from all the responses, my portions will need to be smaller, and to replace my bad night snacks with better choices.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes that's true and a very good realisation...it is all about your calorie balance

But I have to say if you think you're doing 20-30 mins of HIIT you are probably doing interval training which isn't the same thing
  • Angelcat714
    Options
    Hi Sued0nin....I thought HIIT Cardio was the same as interval cardio ? When doing "HIIT" on the eliptical or upright bike, I do 45 sec at 95-100 rpms, with 45 sec at 60 rpms, for 20-30 min. Am I not doing it properly? Also, I weight lift for 1/2 hr 4x/week. I used to workout 6 days per week, weights & cardio, about 20 yrs ago, but over the years, I've toned it done because I want a "life" too. lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    HIIT is short periods of very intense anaerobic efforts interspersed with lower intensity recovery spells.

So HIIT is interval training but not all interval training is HIIT. It's become a fashion label to hang on workouts!

That doesn't mean what you are doing is bad by the way.
    I don't do any HIIT but I do interval training varying from 2:30 minutes intervals to 10 minute intervals - because that suits my fitness goals.
    I also do steady state at a very high level for long duration, (one hour time trial, the hardest sustainable effort I can sustain for an hour) - if you are doing your cardio purely for calorie burns the your maximal effort you can sustain for your allotted time would be the biggest burn you can achieve.
    HIIT also isn't magical, it's just one tool.

Have you thought of cycling outside so you might actually enjoy your cardio? :smiley:
  • Angelcat714
    Options
    Hi Sijomial. That makes more sense to me now, thanks! Funny but I have not been on a bike for at least 20 yrs. was thinking of buying one on Boxing Day, this xmas, to get it on sale. I also bought a speed rope & found out I'm jump rope challenged. Then realized it may not be good for my knees. I start w/ a trainer this Monday, 2x per week. And plan on staying w/ him for at least 6 months. He will also be writing programs for my 2 days at the gym, when I' m not with him. Maybe he can provide new ways of doing things. Should also get out on more weekend small hikes!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't really for weight loss, a calorie deficit is.
    You'll need to weigh all your food that is solid/semi solid on a food scale to track calories accurately.

Weight loss isn't about the type of food that you eat, it is only about calorie deficit. Yes, you can lose weight if you include cookies and such in your way of eating... all you do is weigh and log them.
  • Angelcat714
    Options
    Hi Cerise. thank you! This losing body fat is all new to me. And I've waited til it got to much for me to bear, to do something about it. It's hard too cut down my calories when I'm hungry every 3 hrs or so.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    HIIT was borrowed/adopted from HIT (weight lifting, Gold's) and in scientific literature signify mean maximal power for a specific duration at an anaerobic state. It's normally measured as a percentage of one's VO2 Max. For example, Tabata 1E1 protocol is 8 x 30 seconds intervals at 170% of VO2 Max with 1:1 work to rest ratio. For cycling, one's VO2 Max is roughly pegged at your 5 minutes mean maximal power. If you are doing interval longer than 5 minutes at maximal, your not really taxing your anaerobic state and cannot be considered HIIT. One need to be above maximal aerobic power, ~130% of VO2 Max, or around 3 minute mean maximal power to hit the mark.

Or you can join the chorus, ignore the definition, and call any workout a HIIT.
  • Angelcat714
    Options
    Thanks Kcjchnang! All that went over my head, but thanks for describing it for me. I think I'll join the chorus, and also try to cut down my calories per day.
  • Coachjr29
    Coachjr29 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good for health. As far as fat loss, diet is far more important.