Do you eat more when calorie intake is low even if you aren't particularly hungry?

Options
Hi all,
Pretty new to this CICO and fitness world. I was just wondering, when your calories for the day are low, do you make yourself eat something else even if you aren't really that hungry? Working out seems to really cut my appetite and I keep hearing different opinions on how much you need to be eating, ie some people saying you should never be below 1200cal for the day or have more than a 1000cal deficit per day, others saying that it's fine for an obese person to have those numbers... so confusing!
Today for example, my stats are:
Height/weight: 182cm/125kg
Cal goal in MFP: 1520 (1kg per week loss)
Cal intake: around 1100
Calories burnt so far on Fitbit: 3,150

Is it ok for me to have 1-2 days like that per week, or should I make sure I get my 1500 cals in even if it means eating when I could quite happily go without?

Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• brialger
    brialger Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    id usually have a serving of peanut butter or a couple cups of skim milk
  • PhoenixRivers88
    PhoenixRivers88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lol! Thanks, that's exactly what I did end up doing :) a cup of skim milk, 1tbs natural peanut butter and 2 crackers. Still under my calorie goal for the day and didn't eat any of the 1000 exercise cals back, but at least over the 1200 mark.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I usually celebrate with a glass or two of red wine
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ultimately I listen to my body. After a workout I try to eat a small snack to replenish l, but otherwise if I'm not hungry I don't eat.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I haven't had my coffee yet, so my conversions may be a bit off, but I believe you're around 5'10" and 275lbs. You shouldn't be losing more than a maximum of 2.75lbs per week. That would put your weekly deficit at 9,625kcal, and your daily deficit at 1,375kcal.

From my experience (I'm 6'0" and 298lbs) you shouldn't go for a bigger deficit than that. On the day you posted numbers for, your deficit was right at 2,000kcal. One day every now and then wouldn't hurt, but you'd probably feel better in the long run if you properly fuel your body. You'll also be less likely to fall off the wagon.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I don't eat if I'm not hungry, I figure over the course of a week or so it balances out. I have days where I'm below goal and I like that because I don't sweat it so much when I'm right around goal-- it serves as a cushion.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A day here and there isn't a big deal...consistently underfeeding is. Also, consistently underfeeding your fitness is going to interfere with recovery and fitness gains. Healthy and fit people eat and train...
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You should eat as much as you can possibly eat whilst still losing. Weight loss should be slow and gradual as this is the easiest way to maintain the weight loss. Even if you are only losing a quarter or a half a kilogram a week. This also means that when you stop losing you only have to adjust you deficit by a small amount and decreases that chance of metabolic damage.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A day here and there isn't a big deal...consistently underfeeding is. Also, consistently underfeeding your fitness is going to interfere with recovery and fitness gains. Healthy and fit people eat and train...

+1

There are a few days a month where I get in a lot of exercise biking or running and end up low on calories. Cardio is a big appetite suppressant for me so I don't make myself eat if I don't want to. Again, not good long-term but a day here and there won't hurt.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I don't.. i know I'll be hungry at some point..and why not save those calories for when i might overeat later? That way i stay ahead of the game.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    No, I don't eat if I'm not hungry. Some days are low - even very low - but my calories always average out to a healthy amount by the end of the week or month. Baring an eating disorder (or maybe a health condition) I don't see the point of eating when you're not hungry if you have weight to lose.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You should net at least 1200 per day, with net including eating back half of your exercise cals. Eating as little as you are can be a sign of an eating disorder.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't force myself to eat if I'm not hungry. I can guarantee that my low days will be interspersed with high days, so it all usually evens out in the end.

Keep an eye on your weekly calories in the app.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    ^^what @christine_72 said. Ditto.
  • PhoenixRivers88
    Options
    Ok thanks very much guys. I will try to eat a bit more after working out, as shrcpr said I find cardio just wipes out my appetite! I'm not intentionally trying to keep my calories that low, however as you guys suggested I will keep an eye on weekly totals as well and see how it evens out! Thank you :)
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll eat if not hungry because if my calories are too low I can't sleep.
  • lisabillings1285
    lisabillings1285 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Two thoughts: are you sure the calorie into is correct? And are you sure the fitbit is calculating calories burned accurately? The calorie deficit may be smaller than you think.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Personally, if my calories for the day are low, I do go ahead eat more. I will have a protein shake or greek yogurt mixed with whey, some jerky, or some extra lean meat. Basically some protein. If I were only trying to lose weight, I wouldn't do that but I am also lifting heavy and building muscle while on a very large calorie deficit.
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Big cardio days suppress my appetite too. I'll only force myself to eat if I'm still under 1,000 and I'll have a banana with a tbsp of peanut butter or something like that. If I'm at least at 1,000 I don't worry about. I'm usually hungry the next day.
  • PhoenixRivers88
    Options
    Two thoughts: are you sure the calorie into is correct? And are you sure the fitbit is calculating calories burned accurately? The calorie deficit may be smaller than you think.

Hmm, there's always room for error but I'm pretty sure it would be fairly accurate... I weigh my food and try to scan as much stuff in as I can. As for the fitbit, I'm not sure how accurate it is. I have my height and weight entered, wear it 24/7 besides charging on my non-dominant wrist. The HR capture seems to be fairly accurate when I feel my pulse at the same time as looking at it.
    I've lost 7kg over the past 4 weeks (4kg in the first week which I'm guessing was a lot of water retention etc)