Anyone try or currently doing WW?

I came across an ad and trying to decide if the $20 per month is worth it or not. I lost 26lbs in the last 3 months by eating 1800 calories + 5 days a week of exercise. I'm also a nursing mama so I'm burning a few 100 call there. I'm getting tired of eating the same stuff though. I'm not a meat eater, only chicken breast. So it's a lot of chicken a veggies, daily. I like how WW has a huge frozen section, and yummy meals to make at home. Thanks!!

Replies

• Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Why not simply use their meals/recipes? Personally I find their points system confusing and restrictive.
  • DeannaPaige1
    DeannaPaige1 Posts: 84 Member
    Gena575 wrote: »
    Why not simply use their meals/recipes? Personally I find their points system confusing and restrictive.

I guess I could.it just seemed simpler to count points vs calories. I'm fixated on calories and it gets the best of me at times lol
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    The current WW program is EXTREMELY restrictive. Even most of their frozen dinners probably won't fit in your points very well. Really on the new program you'd be best to just eat the chicken and veggies because everything else is going to be super high in points. I agree with Gena - just use the meals/recipes and stick with MFP.
  • jill8446
    jill8446 Posts: 5 Member
    I have done weight watchers and saw good results but this mfp seems to be the real deal! I have to plan a little more ahead with what I want to eat for the week, but you will do the same with weight watchers.
    For instance: my work caters 2 times a week, and I can't say no to Buffalo Wild Wings and pizza. So this week I had my 2 slices of pizza and a salad for lunch my usual breakfast meal took a look at how many calories I had left in the day which was about 600 and a made an awesome taco salad and still had enough calories left for a couple glasses of wine :) I did the same on our wing day!
    I'm keeping myself to 1500-1700 calories/day and feel good about what I'm eating and the best part is I'm not feeling guilty about having some of my favorite foods!
    I have background in nutrition and have seen or done most food diet plans and this one seems to be the healthiest.
    Best of luck to you! I still have 20 lbs to go to reach my first goal with a dream goal of another 20lbs... But I will be satisfied with my first goal.
    I truly believe that if I keep with this program I will succeed eventually.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 1,128 Member
    Are you considering the on-line version of WW or would you attend meetings? If the latter, the education, support and accountability of the weekly meetings and weigh-in might be worth the money. If you would just be on-line MFP could serve that function. I reached and maintained my goal weight using WW's "Points Plus" program, but they changed to "Smart Points" a few months ago. WW changed over, I didn't.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    I'm a weight watchers life timer but I will admit that MFP works better for me. It's less complicated.
  • DeannaPaige1
    DeannaPaige1 Posts: 84 Member
    jill8446 wrote: »
    I have done weight watchers and saw good results but this mfp seems to be the real deal! I have to plan a little more ahead with what I want to eat for the week, but you will do the same with weight watchers.
    For instance: my work caters 2 times a week, and I can't say no to Buffalo Wild Wings and pizza. So this week I had my 2 slices of pizza and a salad for lunch my usual breakfast meal took a look at how many calories I had left in the day which was about 600 and a made an awesome taco salad and still had enough calories left for a couple glasses of wine :) I did the same on our wing day!
    I'm keeping myself to 1500-1700 calories/day and feel good about what I'm eating and the best part is I'm not feeling guilty about having some of my favorite foods!
    I have background in nutrition and have seen or done most food diet plans and this one seems to be the healthiest.
    Best of luck to you! I still have 20 lbs to go to reach my first goal with a dream goal of another 20lbs... But I will be satisfied with my first goal.

I love pizza & bww too! I actually ate a super lite bfast and lunch so I could enjoy a few slives tonight lol

I've done mfp before. Lost 55lbs in 6 months. I was only eating 1200 calories and working out 6 days a week. Couldnt live like that. I've had 2 kids since lol! Best of luck to you!!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,371 Member
    jill8446 wrote: »

I love pizza & bww too! I actually ate a super lite bfast and lunch so I could enjoy a few slives tonight lol

I've done mfp before. Lost 55lbs in 6 months. I was only eating 1200 calories and working out 6 days a week. Couldnt live like that. I've had 2 kids since lol! Best of luck to you!!

If you set your profile right including incidental activity levels and eat back some or most of your exercise calories you will definitely be eating more than 1200cals per day. Was the 1200 cals per day your restriction? Why didn't you eat back any exercise calories?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Of course eating (too) little is difficult. But MFP sets your calorie goal according to the weight loss rate you tell it you want. The faster loss, the fewest calories. 1200 calories is the lowest it will go. Do you think you need to follow a program to eat what you want? (Or maybe I'm just denser than usual today.)
  • brooklyn7214
    brooklyn7214 Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2016
    Ehh stIck to MFP. I just canceled my WW subscription after 6 months because I felt restricted on it. MFP has a bigger database of foods and restaurants. On WW sometimes it was hard to find the calories of something and it got really annoying. You'd also be given less calories (points) on WW which would suck when you know you can easily lose weight eating 1800. I feel like I have more variety counting calories rather than points because I'd be forced to buy certain low point foods. So I'm a just little confused as to why you feel that way on MFP
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2016
    WW points is just a way to package up calories

If you are bored with what you are eating check out www.skinnytaste.com, use the recipe builder, Google healthy recipes of favourite, buy prepackaged weight watchers or similar meals and log by calories

If you have €20 to spare monthly and really want to try WW go for it, it's not a bad programme but it is nothing you can't do for yourself and it does it you in more than just calorie counting
    Ehh stIck to MFP. I just canceled my WW subscription after 6 months because I felt restricted on it. MFP has a bigger database of foods and restaurants. On WW sometimes it was hard to find the calories of something and it got really annoying. You'd also be given less calories (points) on WW which would suck when you know you can easily lose weight eating 1800. I feel like I have more variety counting calories rather than points because I'd be forced to buy certain low point foods. So I'm a just little confused as to why you feel that way on MFP

Do not trust MFP database, a lot of it is incorrect, always double check any new food entry that you are using before logging
  • tmraines87
    tmraines87 Posts: 8 Member
    I just recently canceled my WW membership because it is BEYOND restriction. I was weak, slept terrible, and felt extremely deprived. Their new system is not healthy in my honest opinion. I logged a day using WW system into MFP and I had only accounted for around 900-1000 calories a day give or take. NO WAY will I go back to that again. Tracking calories, points, macros, etc. will all cause you to have to do a little extra work, but you will see long term and substantial results from staying away from restrictive programs like WW. Best of luck.

**PSA I am no expert, just giving my experience and honest opinion.
  • loseitin_2016
    loseitin_2016 Posts: 21 Member
    I do WW and double track on MFP to make sure I get enough calories,macros,etc.I have lost a lot of weight with WW and I don't eat much sugar so Smart Points aren't that restrictive for me but if you like to eat out more it's not a very good plan.People do end up eating unhealthy foods at WW I think to make sure they use their 30 SP a day plus all their weekly points and some will lose at that for awhile but some won't.I lost most of my weight on WW Points Plus Plan which is obsolete but on the other hand I lost 4.4 lbs on their SP program in September and I am online only.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Skip the WW and just vary your diet more. Doesn't have to always be chicken- you can do turkey, ground turkey, fish, shrimp, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs, protein shakes, beans, lentils... there's plenty of options for non-meat protein sources, I don't care much for meat either so I know the feeling.just get creative. Also different ways to cook things- stewed slow cooked chicken tastes a lot different than grilled chicken- you can add seasonings like garlic or cilantro & lime or salsa... ground turkey patties are my favorite right now, so easy to make too!

And if you are just sick of cooking, you can always eat the WW food without being on the program can't you? Just scan the barcode when entering it into MFP. But personally I think their food is gross.