Binge ate today

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry however I do eat a lot of green veggies. My calories dropped down when I stopped eating sugars.
    How can I up my calories healthy when I already feel full?
    I'm really trying to be serious about this. Guess I'm just an all or nothing type of person. Hard to find the medium in eating

2 lbs a week is agressive weight loss unless you are 50+ lbs overweight. If you are less than that 1 lb a week is a reasonable healthy goal. If you are 20 lbs or less overweight then .5 lb a week is often recommended.
    1200 is the reccomended minimum calories for women to get enough nutrition. If you are active you should be eating much more.
    If you have trouble eating a lot of food then switch to more calorie dense foods.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • kimberly2402
    kimberly2402 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I eat when I'm hungry however I do eat a lot of green veggies. My calories dropped down when I stopped eating sugars.
    I'm really trying to be serious about this. Guess I'm just an all or nothing type of person. Hard to find the medium in eating

2 lbs a week is agressive weight loss unless you are 50+ lbs overweight. If you are less than that 1 lb a week is a reasonable healthy goal. If you are 20 lbs or less overweight then .5 lb a week is often recommended.
    1200 is the reccomended minimum calories for women to get enough nutrition. If you are active you should be eating much more.
    If you have trouble eating a lot of food then switch to more calorie dense foods.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

I started out at 200lbs & I'm 5"4 I was very much over weight
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I started outat 200lbs & I'm 5"4 I was very much over weight

The bits that are bolded are the relevant parts here, you were that weight, although I would still think that 2lb/week would be aggressive at that point. I'm 5'1" and 188lb, so probably have the same amount to lose now as you did at the start and my weight loss goal is actually set to 1lb/week to lose this last 50lb and when I get down another 25lb or so I'll change it down again. 900 Calories sounds miserable, even with loads of veg to fill you up. Do you ever get to enjoy so called treats?

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to completely avoid refined sugar right now- it is addictive so you need to stay away since you've just had some there will be cravings- fight them! Have fruit if you crave sweet.

Do not under eat the day after a binge!!! You will just be setting yourself up for another binge because you will make yourself too hungry! Just eat healthy and hit your calorie goal.
  • kimberly2402
    Options
    The most important thing is to completely avoid refined sugar right now- it is addictive so you need to stay away since you've just had some there will be cravings- fight them! Have fruit if you crave sweet.

Do not under eat the day after a binge!!! You will just be setting yourself up for another binge because you will make yourself too hungry! Just eat healthy and hit your calorie goal.

Thank you. Kind of feel like I'm under attack.
  • FindingCynSporation
    Options
    I know you feel like you're under attack, but I think the other posters are trying to point out that doing either extreme (binge eating or under eating) isn't a healthy way for anyone to lose or maintain weight loss. Our bodies do need more than 800-900 calories a day to survive. Eating so few calories is the other extreme of binge eating. Just keep in mind that especially with an over active lifestyle as you said you did, your body actually needs more fuel to keep moving forward, not less, regardless if you're hungry or not. Look at QueenLiz99's list of calorie dense foods that will help you fill up with healthy options that will keep your body running at top notch! Don't beat yourself up for a high calorie day, and don't overdo it the next day to try and "make up for it"! Just get back on a healthy track and keep pushing forward! :smile:
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are trying to attack, I think they are just concerned. Do be careful and eat to support your body.

I had an eating disorder in my teens and also have crash dieted in the past and all I can tell you is cutting calories too drastically does not work long term.

If your diet works for you great, but just be careful and eat more if you start feeling bad (run down, low energy, get sick etc). When you get to your weight loss goal be sure to reverse diet slowly back up to proper maintenance calories to avoid weight regain.
  • Onub
    Onub Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, Kimberly.

Believe it or not, there is an actually science that supports your "binge." When the body is underfeed in Calories for a while, metabolism and hence weight loss stalls. This is due to a decrease in the hormone, leptin. In order to kick start your leptin again, the body needs to be shocked with an overfeed day. I recommend you read up on it. Here's a good article that explains a bit of it. https://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/build-lean-muscle-with-intermittent-fasting-carb-and-calorie-cycling

As far a the number of Calories you "should" be eating, I think a good number to aim for is no fewer than 500 Calories below your maintenance Calories. For example, if you body needs 2200 Calories based on your size and activity, you should be eating at least 1700 Calories. Here is a link that estimates and explains the idea behind your maintenance Calories. http://www.coachcalorie.com/calorie-calculator/

Good luck and stay safe!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Went to a wedding shower today & a birthday party & ate more calories today than I probably did all week. In the past two months I haven't taken a free day & I thought hmmm I can today. Now, I'm worried that I got the taste of sugar I'm going to want more.
    Does anyone take a free day & how do you stay on track afterwards?

Kimberly, it's going to be okay. You overdid it and now it's time to move on.

As for the bold: do you allow yourself a small sugar treat each day? You may have binged because you are depriving yourself of food you love.

No, I don't have free days, I just work daily treats into my calorie goals each day.

Sometimes I over do it, but more often I work hard to stay on track.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    It's one a day out of the rest of your life. A little drop in the ocean. Get back to logging, it will be alright.

This. One day will not harm you.
    If you can, log everything, and just go back to normal tomorrow. No need to do hardcore cardio or eat very little tomorrow, just eat and exercise as normal. It's not the failing/binge eating that makes us failures, it's not getting back to it that will do it. :) We are human and poop happens sometimes. Move on and forgive yourself.

How many calories did you eat above your normal calories, and how many pounds a week did you choose to lose?

I've been under 1200 the past 2 months & this last month under 900. Today was well over 2500

Don't under eat. Guaranteed that's the reason you binged.
  • SLLRunner
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It's one a day out of the rest of your life. A little drop in the ocean. Get back to logging, it will be alright.

This. One day will not harm you.
    If you can, log everything, and just go back to normal tomorrow. No need to do hardcore cardio or eat very little tomorrow, just eat and exercise as normal. It's not the failing/binge eating that makes us failures, it's not getting back to it that will do it. :) We are human and poop happens sometimes. Move on and forgive yourself.

How many calories did you eat above your normal calories, and how many pounds a week did you choose to lose?

I've been under 1200 the past 2 months & this last month under 900. Today was well over 2500

Well, no wonder. Undereating causes binge eating!

I binge ate because I went out to a wedding shower & birthday. Not because I'm under eating.

On the surface, that's why you binge ate. But, the truth is that under eating leads to binges because you're not fueling your body properly.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

That is yesterday's news. What is your weight now?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

This is not true at all.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

What do you weigh currently?
    Even overweight you should not eat below 1200 and should not need to especially if you are active.
    Do healthy sustainable weight loss.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    This is the true test.. if you can just move on get right back on track you'll be fine. If you wallow in guilt and use this as an excuse to keep going off like you're a victim.. you'll never succeed. It is all about getting right back on track. You have the power to just do it.
  • stinkengine
    stinkengine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This is not true at all.

Sugar is not addictive? It sure is for me.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I did a medically supervised fast back in the late 80s; it was a liquid mix only, and very low calorie. My liver enzymes were constantly monitored and I had frequent doctor visits. That ought to tell you something about going on an extremely low calorie diet: NEVER do it without a doctor's supervision. It's dangerous.

I dropped a lot of weight quickly, then gained it all back quickly once I went off the diet. There was no support to stay on maintenance other than a one-page handout from the doctor with vague instructions. You have to decide if you're in this for the long haul; how are you going to live in a healthy relationship with food and your body for the rest of your life?

It sounds like you have a lot of negative thoughts surrounding things like diet, weight, self image, and food. For self-help, get a copy of the Beck Diet Solution on Amazon. It's based on solid cognitive behavioral principles. Or find someone who specializes in weight loss here:

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com
  • kimberly2402
    Options
    A lot to reply to. My current weight as of this morning 169. My goal is 150. Sugar is very addictive to me. Thank you for the list of foods that I can try to add. Like right now today I've ate my cottage cheese with fruit & celery with light peanut butter. Lunch I haven't even thought of yet. So, I don't feel like I fell of the wagon as bad as I did. To me it was binge eating because it was all very unhealthy food. I do come from a family that has had history of eating disorders & I think that's why I've always stayed over weight because I never wanted to be so skinny & unhealthy like they were.
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A lot to reply to. My current weight as of this morning 169. My goal is 150. Sugar is very addictive to me. Thank you for the list of foods that I can try to add. Like right now today I've ate my cottage cheese with fruit & celery with light peanut butter. Lunch I haven't even thought of yet. So, I don't feel like I fell of the wagon as bad as I did. To me it was binge eating because it was all very unhealthy food. I do come from a family that has had history of eating disorders & I think that's why I've always stayed over weight because I never wanted to be so skinny & unhealthy like they were.

My tone is kind- not an attack. You need to get to the place where you can see that your chronic undereating is a component of your own disordered eating. I get that it is painful to acknowledge- but what you have described *is* the starvation/binge cycle- even if you don't *feel* like you are starving yourself.

It's a long game, and finding a professional to help you work through that disordered eating could make a huge difference in your health. I urge you to reach out to someone for perspective- even if- especially if- your reaction to this is defensiveness. When we are raised by people with disordered eating, it becomes normalized for us- and getting help with that is no different from getting help for a broken bone.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Move on.