need tips for starting

Options
I am new to fitness and I am very out of shape. What are some suggestions for beginners? I cant afford a gym so things I can do at home. I am going to start walking soon what else can I do

Replies

• LAC73167
    LAC73167 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Walk. Walk every chance you get. If you can't go too far at first that's ok! Try to increase your distance each time you walk.
    Also, when I started, I would park my car in the parking space farthest from where I was going. And I stopped using the drive thru at the bank and the coffee shop - drink lots of water. I'm new to all of this too - when I started I couldn't walk 1/4 mile. Now I'm up to 3 miles and counting! . Practice Persistence!! Good luck to you!
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    What things do you enjoy? I found that when I was beginning, it was extremely important for me to do something I loved. I chose dancing and I did that frequently... Then, I would try new things... like yoga and found I liked it so I added it to my list.. Then I tried running, strength, kickboxing... and so on and so on. But, dancing is what got me started. It was something I found fun and enjoyable and thus look forward to doing. I think that's important when you are first starting out but that's just my experience and opinion. :)
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    YouTube is your best friend.
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Make sure to understand stretching before and after. Don't overcrowd your regiman with cardio blend some weight training in. Most important keep your diet in check it the critical component. If working out regularly make sure you get enough calories or the muscle will get eaten away. Listen to your body and dont over work it trying to be like the girl in the video and be consistent the body forgets easily.
  • Iaintpurdy
    Iaintpurdy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Walking is excellent for starting. You tube is an excellent resource for some at home workouts as well, as mentioned above. You can purchase a light set of weights to get started with some strength and follow you tube videos or your local library may have some videos as well.