Can't do this by myself, anymore

Options
I am new, and I am a big guy. 405 pounds, looking to drop 205 of that. I work in a credit union that has a bunch of chiseled out people that do not make me feel welcome about myself. I don't have any close friends, and my wife is so wrapped up in her own weight loss challenge that I often seem to take second place, so I have been trying to do this by myself, and it ain't working.

I am looking for anyone that knows the daily struggle of choosing healthier options, the struggle of going outside vs. playing a video game. Basically, this is my cry for help. My rally call. I would greatly appreciate anyone who is looking for support, as well, so I can finally feel like I am not alone in this. Thank you all!

-Steve

Replies

• kdcomstock89
    kdcomstock89 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Games/competition are really helpful for me. I have a fitbit so the competitions can usually convince me to walk/march in place while watching TV at night. I know they're dorky but I really like Pokemon Go and the Ingress apps, they actually get me out and walking around. It pushes me to jog a little even because it's so frustrating when your game character walks everywhere in the game. Just some thoughts.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Hi. Time to get started. Plug your stats into MFP. It will give you your daily calorie goal. Your job is to hit that everyday, if you can. Starting out it's a good idea to buy a digital food scale and weigh everything you eat. Measure liquids with cups and teaspoons. This will help you see your portions and get used to their sizes. It can help to start out eating pretty much what you usually do--just less. You'll find that fruits and vegetables have less calories and that will start moving you in their direction. Be careful of sauces and condiments--they are usually high calorie, so use sparingly. Then move alittle more whenever you can. Walking is good to start. If your wife is also trying to lose, you could perhaps walk with her. Good luck.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You are not alone... Feel free to add me! I have 100 to lose and cant wait to get at it.
  • mrm1612
    mrm1612 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You are definitely NOT alone on this!!!! There are a lot of us struggling everyday. In my case I struggle to eat healthier foods I'm not good with diets I don't like food that is supposed to be in a diet so' Its hard! Let's just take it one day at a time, try to eat less, no junk food or sweets, exercise and lots of water!! We can do this!!!
  • corazombie
    corazombie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sent you a request. We are all in this together.

Posting this was the best decision you made so far. Keep reaching out and whenever someone extends a helping hand, dont hesitate to grab it. We got here for many different reasons but our goals are all the same.

Good luck brother.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm new enough here that my weight is still 90 pounds more than yours, but also more than 90 pounds lighter than my heaviest weight. walking is my main exercise and just yesterday i made it a 1.5 miles in one walk. that is not much for a lot of people but 6 months ago walking down the driveway to get the mail left me winded with back, knee and hip pain.
    my wife walks way to fast for me to walk with her, but we do plan our meals and try for healthier choices.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was checking my blood pressure one day 30 days ago cause I was having hard time breathing going up the stairs one day. Scary high. I focused on getting that number down through better eating, less sodium, less sugar, walking at 30 minutes a day. Things you can measure here on MFP. I made a game of it...what can I eat that would reduce the amount sodium and sugar I ate each day. How fast can I get my blood pressure numbers to go down. My pressure is down to pre-hypertension levels, in just 20 days.

The weight loss at the beginning was an after thought but I was loosing anyway. In doing this, I got educated on reading labels, doing light research on diabetic recipes, eating the way I need to before I have to. First 3 or 4 days are going to be challenging, but day by day your tastebuds will change so what you think is boring food now, will become enjoyable. Veggies will become your best friend cause they fill you up without adding a lot of calories.

I enjoy walking, and I'm sure your wife will too. Do you have a dog in the back yard? Take him walking with you.
    Doing sit ups, push ups at home, even just one rep of anything will get you started. Lots of videos on Youtube.

Please feel free to friend me. Many of my new friends on this 2nd journey with MFP are people who need to lose 100 lbs like myself.
  • BigandFurious
    BigandFurious Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I came here 12 days ago. I have 10 x 10 lbs to lose. I decided to do in sequences rather than looking at the big pictures, what could be overwhelming.

I am not in good shape. I have a hard time walking, breathing is hard and my bones hurt. I am over 50 and carry the weight of an extra person around everywhere I go.

I am on a mission. It's not just about weightloss, it's also about health and fitness. I want to be able to go for long walks, I want to go shopping without hanging on to the card.

I love food and I am happy with happy meal choices as long as it tastes good. I gulped everything down, ate often on my desk without thinking. There is much to change about my habits.

You can add me if you want. Make yourself important, play first fiddle :-)
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This.+1.Nobody can do it for you.We can be compasionate, we can advice you, support you but YOU have do it.There is no other way.Good luck!!

Hi. Time to get started. Plug your stats into MFP. It will give you your daily calorie goal. Your job is to hit that everyday, if you can. Starting out it's a good idea to buy a digital food scale and weigh everything you eat. Measure liquids with cups and teaspoons. This will help you see your portions and get used to their sizes. It can help to start out eating pretty much what you usually do--just less. You'll find that fruits and vegetables have less calories and that will start moving you in their direction. Be careful of sauces and condiments--they are usually high calorie, so use sparingly. Then move alittle more whenever you can. Walking is good to start. If your wife is also trying to lose, you could perhaps walk with her. Good luck.

• cookma423
    cookma423 Posts: 62 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This.+1.Nobody can do it for you.We can be compasionate, we can advice you, support you but YOU have do it.There is no other way.Good luck!!

Those two things.... can't emphasize enough. This is one of the best communities of which I am a part, and I love it on here. There are no people more supportive, understanding, insightful, and encouraging.

For my two cents on it: I would say that you made a great step here. But start small. I know personally, every time I tried a new "diet" (meaning actually eating healthy, not a fad diet) with a new exercise plan with counting calories with worrying about my steps for a day and worrying about the proper sleep.... see how this can all spiral crazy? Start small. Start for a few weeks just logging what you eat here, then figure out where you can make healthier food swaps and choices. Then maybe start tracking your walking more. Keep building on the good habits you're developing, and they will all start to reinforce each other. Just remember (in two cliches) that nothing worth having is easy nor does it come quickly. Not going to lie that you have some work ahead. But the reward will be so worth it for you!

and @jvcjcooper: revel in your accomplishment! From trouble at the end of the driveway to walking a mile and a half is no small thing! That's awesome! My father, over the course of the last few years, has gone from not being able to get the mail to now walking charity 5k's (3.1 miles). Enjoy your gains! Doesn't matter how they compare to someone else. Those accomplishments are yours! Own them! Good job!