Going over allowance on sugar due to fruit!

Options
Hi, I was wondering if everyone tracks fruit?! I have seen some people do and some dont. I go over my sugar's quite often but i think its because I eat satsuma's and apples etc.

I dont want to not track it an end up not losing any weight!! help!!! x

Replies

• lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes, if I eat the amount of fruit I want to eat my sugar is always over. As long as my fat and total calories are in check I ignore it. Same as my cholesterol if I have 2 eggs for breakfast.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    You can eat 1 banana and blow 1/2 your sugars for the whole day -- I wouldn't worry about natural sugars in fruit. Fruit's got so many good things in it, and it's healthy. Don't stress about it.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    try the search function, lots of threads/ ideas on this subject
  • smudger_24
    smudger_24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks, what about carbs too then? Do you go over often on them? I seem to be but keeping under my calories!
  • smudger_24
    Options
    Phew, thanks Tina, I will also check the search too x
  • TinaDay1114
    Options
    You can eat 1 banana and blow 1/2 your sugars for the whole day -- I wouldn't worry about natural sugars in fruit. Fruit's got so many good things in it, and it's healthy. Don't stress about it.

P.S. Yes, I track my fruits all day -- it'll make you feel good to see all that healthy stuff on there, and make your calorie county accurate. :)
  • NYgeorgiapeach
    Options
    I track my fruit and I'm always over on my sugar too. I wouldn't worry too much about it. MFP is just suggesting amounts and they don't seperate bad and bad sugar.
  • TinaDay1114
    Options
    Thanks, what about carbs too then? Do you go over often on them? I seem to be but keeping under my calories!

I go over my carbs by a bit some days -- but I try not to blow through them w/too much bread, pasta, etc. If it's from fruits or veggies, I don't worry too much. :)
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I track fruit because of the calories, although sugar from fruit and vegetables is healthier you should still keep track of it, I eat alot of berries because there lowest in sugar
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Search is kind of broken here, to get "Real" results you need to use an advanced search feature on your chosen search site, google, msn etc and restrict the search of only myfitnesspal and results within a recent time frame. Last time I used search for "too much protein" the first 3 pages of results that came up were 3 months old! (using the MFP search feature) That looks like a topic that does NOT come up every day (multiple times a day in reality) when someone does a search on it ;)
  • willow3eb
    willow3eb Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Its natural sugar, so I wouldn't worry about it since they're digested more easily. If it were sugar from candy and such, then I would watch it. But it's fruit, yummy, nutritious and delicious so eat away!
  • smudger_24
    Options
    Thanks peeps! x
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I tacke evrything and end up over on sugar also. Fruits and yogurt always have the bigger amounts in my diary.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm unpopular I know for having this opinion (so take it or leave it) but sugar is sugar is sugar to your liver whether it's sucrose (table sugar) lactose (milk sugar) or fructose (sugar in fruits), your liver still says ah-ha! Sugar! True, the fructose does come with vitamins and minerals along with it (found in the fruit) and lactose comes with some protein (in the milk) and sucrose is just sugar from a plant (sugar cane, sugar beets) where all the nutritional elements have been stripped away.

I don't currently have sugar on my diary, but that's because I did for a while and now know what I can eat to stay within my limits on any given day. As another user suggested - eat lower glycemic indexed fruits - like strawberries/blueberries.

You don't want more than 10% of your calories to come from sugar. So for me on 1500 cals a day, I can have 150 calories, divided by 4 (calories in a gram of sugar) gives me 37.5 grams of sugar a day - all sugar. This is why I made the switch from Cow's milk to unsweetened vanilla almond milk. This is why I rarely eat fruit.

I'm not going to argue that fruit is bad for you - but it sometimes does contain alot of sugar and your body has to do something with ALL sugars it comes in contact with. Sure, sucrose is going to hit your system much faster and be metabolized differently than fructose and lactose because of the lack of vitamins/minerals with it, but your liver still has to process the sugar, no matter where it's source.

Your liver can process up to 40 grams of sugar in one meal.

The best times to consume sugar are first thing in the morning or right after a work-out.

As far as carbs, if you are going over on carbs alot, you are getting less fat and protein in your diet, long term - you might be setting yourself up to lose some valuable muscle mass as you lose weight, so make sure you are getting enough protein. If you want more carbs and less fat, I'm not sure how this will effect weight loss, just play with your numbers and see. I personally like 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein for my macros.

My most fit pals on MFP with ripped mid-sections keep sugar to a bare minimum.

I hope this information is helpful. Feel free to view my dairy (though I don't have sugars tracked at the moment) to see what I eat if that helps. Friend requests always welcome from anyone. :)

Good luck.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm unpopular I know for having this opinion (so take it or leave it) but sugar is sugar is sugar to your liver whether it's sucrose (table sugar) lactose (milk sugar) or fructose (sugar in fruits), your liver still says ah-ha! Sugar! True, the fructose does come with vitamins and minerals along with it (found in the fruit) and lactose comes with some protein (in the milk) and sucrose is just sugar from a plant (sugar cane, sugar beets) where all the nutritional elements have been stripped away.

I don't currently have sugar on my diary, but that's because I did for a while and now know what I can eat to stay within my limits on any given day. As another user suggested - eat lower glycemic indexed fruits - like strawberries/blueberries.

You don't want more than 10% of your calories to come from sugar. So for me on 1500 cals a day, I can have 150 calories, divided by 4 (calories in a gram of sugar) gives me 37.5 grams of sugar a day - all sugar. This is why I made the switch from Cow's milk to unsweetened vanilla almond milk. This is why I rarely eat fruit.

I'm not going to argue that fruit is bad for you - but it sometimes does contain alot of sugar and your body has to do something with ALL sugars it comes in contact with. Sure, sucrose is going to hit your system much faster and be metabolized differently than fructose and lactose because of the lack of vitamins/minerals with it, but your liver still has to process the sugar, no matter where it's source.

The best times to consume sugar are first thing in the morning or right after a work-out.

As far as carbs, if you are going over on carbs alot, you are getting less fat and protein in your diet, long term - you might be setting yourself up to lose some valuable muscle mass as you lose weight, so make sure you are getting enough protein. If you want more carbs and less fat, I'm not sure how this will effect weight loss, just play with your numbers and see. I personally like 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein for my macros.

I hope this information is helpful. Feel free to view my dairy (though I don't have sugars tracked at the moment) to see what I eat if that helps. Friend requests always welcome from anyone. :)

Good luck.

Totally Agree!!
  • smudger_24
    Options

Good luck.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, its really helpful and I appreciate it as I am new to this, thanks x