HELP!! I'm unwillingly starting over!!

Options
Hi all!

I'm writing this post to evoke tips and support on my weight loss journey as I'm losing hope but not losing; actually gaining weight. I was down 32 lbs and this past year has been crazy!!! I gained back 20.5 pounds and am angry and frustrated. Any tips? Or can you relate to totally having sabotaged your efforts? The main change in my life is I've returned to work after a 5-6 yrs hiatus. Stressed a bit :/..... so my time is short or at least in my mind because I work very flexible hrs. How can I overcome this struggle? How can I re-lose this 20 lbs? Please HELP!!! Also, please add me as a friend; LionPrincess - you support me I'll support u too!! Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate!! I lost 45 and gained 60! UGH, now I am starting over with extra to lose. I am moved into MFP.. Check out my profile.. I have mini goals which are going to help me get to my goal weight. Would love to have you as PAL.
    Lacey
  • maewalk0126
    maewalk0126 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add! In a similar situation. This time I will do this and see this through! Not doing it will lead to more weight gain, and that's not something anyone wants when they are unhappy with their weight!
  • wochlikgm
    wochlikgm Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your gains. I know your frustration, I am there myself. I stopped loosing over 6 months ago. My problem is loss of discipline. I log my weight daily, but my food logging discipline and what I eat is not as strong as it was in the beginning. I too have work stress currently, and am working 10 to 11 hour days for the last 5 weeks. I'm lucky in the sense that I haven't been gaining, except for very recently, due to the last point. Feel free to add me to your list of friends.
  • llwolford
    llwolford Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    First of all you are not unwillingly starting again. You are here and that means you have taken the first step. You care enough to reach out for others. You should be proud. You can do this!
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm right there too. Lost 60 lbs and gained it back. I was doing well. Hurt my knee and had to have knee scope surgery. Then lost my mojo - my forward motion. Not sure why or how. Maybe depression. But I'm determined to get back on track. Let's do this.
    Ginger in Texas
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've been yo yo dieting all my life. But now found a diet that really works, is easy, and theres absolutely no hunger. Low carb high fat eating. I'm full after every meal.

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Overweight almost my whole life, then I lost 35 pounds in my late 20s and got to a really nice size/weight that I felt beautiful & confidant at, yay! I was so happy... but I got there by eating way too few calories on a very restrictive diet and very little exercise. Big surprise I could not maintain the weight loss...

Also life happened- break ups, some depression, long hours at work & commuting, too much wine & eating out, marriage, a health crisis, surgery... I gained all the weight back. At age 34 ended up at the same high weight as I was before losing that 35 pounds.

Started to prioritize my health then- nothing like nearly dying then surviving to make you appreciate life & want to care for your body better! Started eating healthy/clean, walking, hiking, joined a gym, got a personal trainer, started working from home, etc. felt MUCH better & healthier but started getting frustrated to not have lost much weight.

Fat is funny that way though, it doesn't just go away when you get healthy. You have to be in a calorie deficit. But my body likes homeostasis so when not counting calories I naturally ate my maintenance calories. I also have a preference for eating lots of carbs and too little protein if I don't pay attention, which doesn't help either...

Finally losing weight again now that I'm counting calories, eating enough protein, and working out regularly. Also quit alcohol for the time being which helps a lot. The process is much slower now that I'm doing it the healthy way instead of just crash dieting like before- but I'm hopeful this time it will be possible to maintain the weight loss since I will have developed healthy habits and put on lean muscle, not just starving myself skinny.

So let's do this! (Again)
    Good luck to you!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. The statistics say that over 80% of the people that lose weight, gain it back, some gain even more than they lost, so you have a lot of company.
    I am struggling to maintain my weight loss. It will be 3 years on 11/3.
    What has worked for me, is moderation in all food. Paying attention to portion sizes and weekly weigh in.
    I don't want the weight creeping up on me, so I cut back on calories when I gain more than 3 pounds.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Feel like I am in a similar situation. Lost 25 out of the 50 I would like to lose, but now, I have slacked off and gained about 5 back. I am still here, because I don't want to keep gaining. You can do this and I can too.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    As far as tips that have helped me start losing weight again...

The 3 main things that have finally made a difference & started to work for me:
    •EAT ENOUGH PROTEIN (actually keep track in MFP, not just guess. I had to really make an effort because I don't instinctively eat much meat or other high protein foods. Weigh protein powder has been helpful to hit my daily protein goals)
    •Limit carbs/sugars (not low carb, just not excessive carbs)
    •Mild calorie deficit (if I go too low calorie I start to lose muscle and also get too hungry & end up bingeing every few days, so gotta keep it in a more manageable range)

These have also helped a lot:
    •Manage stress, reduce where possible
    •Drink plenty of water
    •Little to no refined sugar
    •Little to no alcohol
    •Little to no gluten (or whatever foods you have sensitivities to)
    •No fast food/junk food
    •Weight lifting
    •Body weight exercises/calisthenics
    •Steady state cardio
    •High intensity cardio
    •Walking & hiking
    •Learn to enjoy exercise!
    •Rest & sleep enough (very important!)
    •Get a scale that measures body composition- not just weight. Weigh daily first thing in the morning, track fat percentage & muscle/lean body mass - make sure fat is decreasing and muscle is staying the same or increasing.
    •Remember fluctuations are normal but the general trend should be going in the right direction or something is off
    •Get a food scale
    •Focus on health not just weight loss
    •Don't worry about slip ups, just keep going
    •Take a multivitamin & fish oil
    •Take supplements to correct any deficiencies
    •Eat lots of veggies & leafy greens
    •Add flavor to food with low/no calorie things like lemon juice, vinegar, salsa, fresh herbs, garlic, spices, etc.
    •Follow fitness minded people on YouTube & Instagram to help stay motivated

Hope some of these tips help you too!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

I found the thread that may be of help
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10040368/some-thoughts-on-starting-over#latest

Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    The mistake people usually make is dieting then going off the diet when they lose the weight. I'm not saying you need to diet forever, but research flexible dieting and when you reach your goals, go slightly below them then slowly, over the period of a few weeks, transition yourself up to maintenance calories. Once you get there don't stop the exercise you were doing, simply adjust your diet to match an exercise schedule you can continue long term. Then learn how to match your calorie goals without logging (by sight, volume, serving size, and by avoiding foods which you know to be heavy on calories. If you do eat something heavy on calories, log it, then exercise more the next few days to pay for it. Or, better yet, if you know you're going to have a day or two of high calorie meals (holidays maybe) exercise more before them and plan for it. Once you have that down to a science, then stop the logging for a while and try to maintain by watching the scale but by using the techniques that worked for you when you were logging and maintaining.
  • beautyTmarie
    beautyTmarie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You've got to track your foods and yes stress and life tries to derail us. You can get back on track! Stay tracking and stay active. You've got this!