Bike app

Options
I have a question, how acurate the gps bike conputers on calorie burning and i use Urban biker for example. So i need help?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Strava is probably one of the better ones.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For me Strava gives low estimates, Garmin gives low to very low estimates, Runkeeper gives high estimates.

Would question why you think you need to be particularly accurate anyway?
    FYI in summer I'm cycling 500 to 600 miles a month, not even food logging or calorie counting and can manage my weight effectively - which shows accuracy maybe nice but it's certainly not compulsory.

Would recommend Strava as it's interesting and motivational to compare your own improvements against previous rides and other people.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Get a power meter and you'll be within ~1-2% as long as you know your gross efficiency. MET, heart rate, and virtual power all have their strength and weakness, and all can grossly under or over estimate.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Get a power meter and you'll be within ~1-2% as long as you know your gross efficiency.

^^^^^THIS!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Get a power meter and you'll be within ~1-2% as long as you know your gross efficiency. MET, heart rate, and virtual power all have their strength and weakness, and all can grossly under or over estimate.

where to i get apower meter from? is it like a motivational mechanical cadence meter mentally encouraging you to cadence up to the red shaded area which says limit?

See power meters here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/article/best-power-meters-for-cycling-42508/

• noddy230983
    noddy230983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's worth looking at the Wahoo app too, this is about the only free app that pairs with a heart rate strap and accurately. Measures time and distance. I regularly use it for time trials and regular rides and never have an issue with accuracy.

General rule of thumb around exercise calories on here seems to be eat around 50% back and see how you go.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    MapMyRide is about 40% over on calories based on my heart rate monitor. I otherwise enjoy using it and it syncs nicely with MFP.