Tofu recipies

Options
fmbarbuto
fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
Hello! Does anyone have any tofu recipies they'd like to share?

Replies

• kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you have worked with tofu, but... The key to tofu for me is getting as much moisture out of it as possible. So, I buy the extra firm tofu, slice it, put it between paper towels and place something very heavy like a cast iron skillet on top of the paper towel that is over the tofu. I leave it like this for about half an hour. Then I go with whatever meat recipe I want to do and just replace the tofu. Tofu will take on the flavor of whatever you marinate/cook it in. So, if I am doing a teriyaki chicken stir fry I will marinate the tofu in the teriyaki sauce for about 30 minutes and then go from there with the recipe as normal, etc.
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    One of my favs from Cooking Light:
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 312
    Fat: 8.8g
    Saturated fat: 0.8g
    Monounsaturated fat: 5.5g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
    Protein: 12.5g
    Carbohydrate: 47.6g
    Fiber: 5g
    Cholesterol: 0.0mg
    Iron: 3.5mg
    Sodium: 517mg
    Calcium: 187mg

YIELD: 6 servings
    COURSE: Main Dishes
    Ingredients
    1 (14-ounce) package firm water-packed tofu, drained
    1 medium onion, cut into 6 wedges
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
    3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    4 garlic cloves
    1 (1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
    4 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 1/4 pounds)
    1/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    4 1/2 cups hot cooked basmati rice
    1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation
    1. Place tofu on several layers of paper towels. Cover tofu with several more layers of paper towels; top with a cast-iron or other heavy skillet. Let stand 30 minutes. Discard paper towels. Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.
    2. Place onion in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mustard seeds and cumin; cook 10 seconds or until mustard seeds begin to pop. Add onion and curry powder; cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 2 minutes or until onion is golden, stirring constantly.
    3. Place garlic and ginger in food processor; process until a smooth paste forms. Stir garlic mixture into onion mixture; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in tofu, cauliflower, 1/4 cup water, salt, and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
    4. Spoon 3/4 cup rice onto each of 6 plates; top each serving with 1 cup tofu mixture. Spoon 2 teaspoons yogurt over each serving; sprinkle with cilantro.
  • carneyk
    carneyk Posts: 4
    Options
    First post, hope you all like :smile:
    Mix 1 package drained silken tofu (soft, usually in produce section) with one envelope of dry spicy ranch seasoning (like Hidden Valley the best). Add a few drops of milk if needed to make creamy. Use as a dip with fresh veggies. I've taken this to potluck's and no one would guess I used tofu!