Working mom, 2 kids, sports! Dinner ideas?

Options
chrystenfo
chrystenfo Posts: 35 Member
Here's the issue, I work full time and my young kids (elementary school) are in sports Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday night. Work ends at 5, sports start at 6 and end at 7. Home by 7:30.

I have been getting them a snack (fruit or granola) between work and practice, but dinner feels impossible. What are some of your tips for dinner on these crazy nights. How do I have three of these nights in a row!!!

Replies

• ArmsandCharms
    ArmsandCharms Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Following! I have the same issue. I feel like a bad mom not making a nutritious dinner every night, but How?? We barely have time for showers and homework.
  • ArmsandCharms
    ArmsandCharms Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would say make the crockpot your friend. Tacos, pulled pork, chicken, chicken tacos, soups, fajitas, all that stuff can be done in the crock pot. You can even get those crockpot liners that make clean up a breeze. I haven't tried them but I've seen them mentioned. I feel you. I have five kids and we have sports every night but tuesday. I am a stay home mom, but even I do the crockpot because once they get home from school we are usually out the door and gone until 8 or 8:30.

I have used those crockpot liners. They are amazing!
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have 2 daughters that right now play volleyball. Last week not one child was home at the same time for dinner. During the summer is softball and the same thing happens.
    Crock pot has become my best friend. You can search Allrecipes.com or Pinterest.
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com
    http://just2sisters.com/100-amazing-crock-pot-recipes/
    Just a couple that I follow. Good luck. It don't get easier as they get older. Mine are teens and I'm lucky if if we get to sit down as a family one day a week.
  • qwikstreet
    qwikstreet Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Crock pot will be your savior. Especially since you can literally throw frozen chicken breasts in there and let it cook for hours without it being looked after. We even use a timer that will turn on the crock pot at a certain time so we know it will be ready at the time we need it.
  • chrystenfo
    Options
    allrecipes.com is a good site or pinterest....I've just put chicken breasts in the crockpot with a packet of taco seasoning and some water...was very easy to shred several hours later and the kids liked it in tortillas and taco shells.

Thank you, I have heard of crockpot liners but never used them. I sometimes have a problem with my food overcooking since I leave for work so early. I know this sounds like excuses, but just wondering if you have any tips to keep that from happening.
  • chrystenfo
    Options
    qwikstreet wrote: »
    Crock pot will be your savior. Especially since you can literally throw frozen chicken breasts in there and let it cook for hours without it being looked after. We even use a timer that will turn on the crock pot at a certain time so we know it will be ready at the time we need it.

The timer is an awesome idea, overcooking can be a problem!
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've got 4 kids, all involved in multiple sports every night. It's rough! I feel your pain!
    The crock pot will be your bff. Also rotisserie chicken and frozen veggies or raw veggies with dressing/dip. Make extras of anything you make on your less busy nights to either eat as leftovers or re-purpose into another meal. For example: Grilled chicken and veggies and rice on Sunday? Leftover chicken, sliced up becomes the center for a fajita or chicken and cheese quesadilla on Wednesday! Pot roast in the crock pot on Monday? Chop it up, add barley and broth...Beef Barley Vegetable Soup on Thursday!

Plan ahead and this totally works!
  • wwkwag
    wwkwag Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would say make the crockpot your friend. Tacos, pulled pork, chicken, chicken tacos, soups, fajitas, all that stuff can be done in the crock pot. You can even get those crockpot liners that make clean up a breeze. I haven't tried them but I've seen them mentioned. I feel you. I have five kids and we have sports every night but tuesday. I am a stay home mom, but even I do the crockpot because once they get home from school we are usually out the door and gone until 8 or 8:30.

100% this!
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    same boat here! 2 kids in multiple sports, we've got a practice every weeknight and several games over the weekend. crockpot is good...i also try to cook 1 or 2 things over the weekend that can be reheated. and have quick things on hand for during the week. my kids like mexican so using one of the ortega type kits can usually get tacos or enchiladas on the table pretty quickly. and then there's always breakfast for dinner, eggs and toast or frozen pancakes/waffles :smile:
  • charestcr
    charestcr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I was going like that I used to cook enough one night to last two meals, we ate leftovers every second night. If you get creative you can put a 'spin' on it to make it a little different. For example I used to cook extra chicken and steam broccoli then the next night throw some garlic and olive oil on the broccoli and roast it and dice the chicken and heat it in the frying pan with some kind of sauce. Become the queen of leftovers. That and crockpot.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I see people suggested crock pot already so I'll skip that idea. What about making a large casserole on Sunday and saving it for leftovers on the days you can't cook? I seen a pizza casserole on pinterest that looked really good, and filling too. You could load it up with whatever veggies the kids will tolerate. Something like this?

My toddler loves everything pizza so I usually will end up making homemade mini pizzas with english muffins when I'm busy. Slice them in halves, top with pizza sauce, veggies, pepperoni and cheese. It's a hit and only takes 10-12 minutes to bake.
  • fbref9
    fbref9 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead is the key although I find that our plans are often disrupted because of the sports, errands and all the other stuff we have going on.

As everybody has said.... the crock pot is usually the go-to meal preparer. We mainly do chicken, pulled pork or meatballs so they can tossed into a roll for a sub/sandwich. Also family sized frozen vegetable steamer packages work out well.

If time permits and we are looking to have a more "traditional" meal, we will stay up and prep everything the night before that way we only need to throw it in the oven when we get home. So by the time the kids shower, change, etc... the meal is cooked and ready to serve.

With busy lives and kids sports/activities.... there is never enough time in the day.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    We usually cook on weekends and freeze so all we need to do is warm up and go. On the days with no activities, we tend to plan for something easy, but fresh, like some rice, baked chicken, and pre-trimmed veggies that we can throw in to roast.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    We usually cook on weekends and freeze so all we need to do is warm up and go. On the days with no activities, we tend to plan for something easy, but fresh, like some rice, baked chicken, and pre-trimmed veggies that we can throw in to roast.

I second this. I did this when I knew my work would be hectic. I froze an aluminum pan of lasagna rollups, browned and bagged hamburger meat, chicken spaghetti, grilled chicken (sliced and bagged).

It was a massive help!
  • TuesdayLucero
    TuesdayLucero Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    chrystenfo wrote: »
    qwikstreet wrote: »

The timer is an awesome idea, overcooking can be a problem!

This is a good idea, but please make sure you're being food safe. You don't want food sitting on your counter for 4 hours at room temperature before the crock pot turns on. That's asking for a foodborne illness.