NEED MORE PROTEIN MUCH LESS CARBOHYDRATES!!!

Options
mrm1612
mrm1612 Posts: 31 Member
edited October 2016 in Food and Nutrition
So' on my nutrition graphic I seem to be getting to much carbohydrates and not much protein. I'm not good at choosing foods and a bit ignorant on what I should o not consume. I feel that if I stay like this even though I'm not eating sweets, bread, juice nor soda I think I'm not going to lose much weight. What can I eattttttt that doesn't have carbohydrates?!?!?! I don't like much foods that's supposed to be on a diet so' I need flexibility!!!

Replies

• felorabedi
    felorabedi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Edamame, flex seeds, chia seeds, tofu, if your not a vegetarian go for steak with no fat, chicken breast, fish , eggs etc
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with carbohydrates...they don't make you fat. I'm not 100% vegetarian but I eat vegetarian a lot...abut 3-4 days per week...this means I tend to eat a lot of carbohydrates...there's nothing inherently wrong with carbohydrates and there are plenty of nutritionally awesome forms of carbohydrates.

What exactly are you eating?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    mrm1612 wrote: »
    So' on my nutrition graphic I seem to be getting to much carbohydrates and not much protein. I'm not good at choosing foods and a bit ignorant on what I should o not consume. I feel that if I stay like this even though I'm not eating sweets, bread, juice nor soda I think I'm not going to lose much weight. What can I eattttttt that doesn't have carbohydrates?!?!?! I don't like much foods that's supposed to be on a diet so' I need flexibility!!!

First of all, as long as you are eating less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. Eating too many carbs doesn't change that. If you're eating the calories that MFP gave you after putting in your stats and accurately tracking them, you should be fine.

With that out of the way, if you want to increase your protein intake, there are plenty of foods that can help you do that. Dairy products such as cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are great sources. Also pretty much any meat will give you a good protein punch. Eggs/egg whites and nuts/nut butters are good, as well as legumes such as lentils. You can also supplement with whey protein if you're still having trouble meeting your goals. I don't need to supplement often, but I keep a large jug of whey protein in the house for when I need it.

There are many more, but the foods above will give you a decent start.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Look at your diary and identify the foods you regularly eat that have the highest amount of carbohydrates. Figure out if you want to reduce your serving sizes or swap some of them out for foods with more protein.

But, assuming you're in a deficit, you'll lose weight even if you are eating carbohydrates.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    lean proteins, vegetables mostly low glycemic, some fruit 2 -3 servings, complex carbs, good grains. If you eat some bread for ex, try for a whole grain. Try to stay away from the white carbs like white flour products and refined sugar. You can have the not so great carbs like pasta, white rice, etc. but limit them to small portion like 1/2 cup.
  • caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb and I snack on cheese, edamame, hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and nuts. For lunch I eat tuna in lettuce, spinach dijon chicken wraps made with high fiber whole wheat tortillas, stir fry without rice, Asian shrimp wraps. I chose to eat lower carb because I am trying to cut my body fat percentage. But like others have said, and the same is true for me, if you faithfully measure and log your food and are eating at a deficit, you will lose weight even if you eat carbs,
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mrm1612 wrote: »

It's good to hit your protein goal if it's the default, since that's often low. If it's a custom goal you might want to consider how you set it and whether it's too high -- knowing what it is would help.

That said, you won't not lose because you go over carbs or under protein, but it is good (and often helps with satiety) to hit the protein goal. What I would do is look over you diary at the end of each day and see where your protein and carbs were coming from. Often it's an easy fix. For more protein I advise looking especially at breakfast and maybe lunch -- many people eat high carb/low protein breakfasts, for example. Think about ways to add in more protein or have a more balanced breakfast if it's that. (Eggs, low fat dairy like greek yogurt or cottage cheese, stuff like that.)

Even easier, maybe reduce the portion of your starch side, if you have one (potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc.) and increase your protein dish (meat, legumes, whatever it is). Looking at your diary would help -- that's how you learn what foods have what nutrients and calories.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Macros don't have a lot to do with weight loss (google Twinkie Diets....) but there are a couple of good reasons to try to get enough protein.

1. Satiety. Protein and fat tend to help you feel full longer which may improve your ability to comply with your calorie goals.
    2. Maintaining lean muscle mass. When we lose weight we lose both fat and lean muscle mass (the extent is usually overstated by Broscience) eating enough protein (and strength training) help mitigate the loss of lean tissue.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Search for the protein food list that occasionally shows up on these discussion pages. It has a google spreadsheet of incredibly detailed information about every conceivable food source of protein that you can download and keep for your own reference. If you're too lazy for that, go to the grocery and get canned tuna or tuna steaks, get some cod fillets, get some turkey breast. If you want, you can get some mozzarella sticks which are every bit as good a protein source as many meats. Then figure out how to prepare and eat them. Oh, and egg whites. A pint of raw egg whites like Rocky Balboa and you're golden for protein.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't the devil. They don't make you fat unless you eat beyond what you use. The same goes for protein. There's no magic- it's just what nutrition you need for your goals and what MFP has as default is very general.

Anyway, that's kind of a broken record statement. If you're looking for more protein, you can always supplement with a whey or vegan style protein- one that's more protein than anything else (too many labels note they have protein.... but the amounts are puny compared to the carbs). Just check out labels/nutrition information-- this is all a process you'll get a handle on as you get more used to it.

If all else fails, and you are not morally/nutritionally meat averse, protein is almost all there is to lean meats. Eggs are great (about 50/50 fat/protein) and liquid egg whites are fast and easy with 26g of protein per cup.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Try swapping out something in each meal - for example - if you eat cereal for breakfast - use unsweetened almond milk mixed with a little vanilla protein powder - boosts the protein.
    If you eat yogurt - go greek for more protein and during meals remember if you eat a potato/starch with the protein, then the vegetable needs to be green - try to avoid a high starch veggie paired with another high starch