Trader Joe's!

Options

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    There isn't any Trader Joe's down where I am. They sound good though... I'd like to go to one one day.
  • LeahRandom
    LeahRandom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Their freeze dried strawberries are cheaper than anywhere else, and they taste like strawberries. Great substitute when you want something like chips. The brown rice fusilli pasta tastes like regular pasta, the penne, not so much. Non fat plain yogurt and organic unsweetened soy milk at great prices.Also love the dried and unsweetened mango.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    We just had one open in our city less than a month ago, I was so excited, I had never been. And since I had to start eating Gluten free this year, and had troubles finding things, I thought I would find lots at Trader Joes. Well it was a huge disappointment. Everyone said it was smaller than the one in Portland, so I don't know if that was it. Hopefully it will go better for you since your in a bigger city than I am.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I do 90% of my shopping at Trader joes :laugh: I'm probably their biggest advertiser. I love the Milton 100% whole wheat bread, it's $5.49 at safeway and $3.99 at TJ's. I Like their Power crunch bars, aria women's protein, and Lara bars. It's one of the few stores I can find chicken sausages without pork casings. Every AM I eat a TJ's whole wheat english muffin with TJ's almond butter. I always get: mango bars, flax chips, edemame hummus, whole wheat pretzl sticks, fire roasted veggies, High fiber o's, spicy almonds, chilli mango slices, soy nuggets, frozen steel cut oatmeal, greek yogurt, fage yogurt, whole wheat gnocci, fire roasted tomato soup, butter nut squash soup, lentil soup, apple crushers (kids), eggs, harvest blend grains, quinoa, they have assorted frozen veggies that I like certain times of the year (bell peppers and onions, green beans, asparagus, fire roasted corn) love all their produce. Honestly I haven't found anything I don't like :laugh: Have fun! I'm sure you will fall in love with the store too!
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    Guilt Free Pita Chips!
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Stevia in the big container vs. all the little packets.
    Turkey Meatballs
    'individual' Brown rice bowls- microwave friendly but at least two portions
    Fresh shelled Pomegranate seeds - DELISH
  • comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What I usually buy at TJs because it is MUCH cheaper (and more delicious) than a regular grocery store:
    -HUMMUS (many DELICIOUS flavors)
    -Produce, especially spinach and fruit
    -GOAT CHEESE (usually 3.99 for 8 oz)
    -also their frozen meals to use as quick lunches at work (but beware the sodium content) the Paneer Tikka Masala is AMAZING
    -Chips/snacks: My bf and I loved the jalapeno cheetos but now we get the Cheddar Jalapeno Crunchies from TJs... they are delicious and less cals than cheetos. Veggie sticks are good too if you have a salty potato chip craving.

Although I'm not a big wine drinker TJs is also well known for having a large selection of cheap but not crappy wines... if your TJ sells alcohol.
  • comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ooh yes and if you buy Earth Balance Buttery Spread its usually cheaper there than at any other grocery store (in my experience at least)
  • smahaney1
    smahaney1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Their Better n' Peanut Butter is really good. I mix a tablespoon in with my chocolate protein shakes. Yum!
  • Larry1369
    Larry1369 Posts: 59
    Options
    Just making a placeholder, I'm going later this week and am going to follow a lot of your suggestions.

I get tuna in olive oil.
    The soy chips, with TJ's salsa
    The ruffy filets.
    Many of their mixed frozen veggies when you can't get the comparable in fresh elsewhere.
    Blueberries, strawberries frozen for shakes.
    Yogurt.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have a list of my favorites from another forum I am on. You will LOVE Trader Joe's!

Here is the list:

Snacks/Dry Food:

Popped potato chips
    Veggie sticks
    Reduced guilt chips
    100 calorie pack oatmeal chocolate chip crackers
    Joe's O's (like Cheerios)
    Mac 'n Cheese (boxed)
    Applesauce
    Everything bagel chips
    Entertainment crackers
    Peanut Butter sandwich crackers
    Sesame rounds
    Water crackers

Fresh Food:

Tri tip
    Bool kogi
    Ground beef
    Chicken jalepeno sausage
    Beer bratwursts
    Balsamic and rosemary grilled chicken
    Pork loin chops
    Chicken tenders
    All of their fruit
    All of their veggies
    All of their cheeses
    Mini Brie Bites (pack of 5 mini brie wheels)
    Guacamole 2-pack

Frozen Food:

Jumbo sea scallops (1 pound bag)
    Reduced guilt battered shrimp
    Reduced guilt "Lean Cuisine" style macaroni and cheese
    Mini tacos
    Vegetable egg rolls
    Taquitos
    Breaded chicken tenderloins
    Cod sticks
    Pierogies
    Fettucini alfredo
    Orange chicken
    Gnocci Sorrentino
    Petite peas (16 ounce bag)
    Frozen sweet corn (16 ounce bag)
    Mango chunks
    Tuna steaks
    Jumbo shrimp (1 pound bag)[/list]
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Try the Better 'n Peanut Butter!
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! Peanut butter! Peanut Butter! I usually get their Organic Creamy one.
    Frozen fruits -cheaper than the regular grocery store
    Meats- better quality than the regular grocery store
    Produce- I like that they're not priced by the pounds. It takes out the guesswork.

What's funny is that there's always been a TJ's in my area. It was midway between my home and office (about 6 miles) and I would pass it every day on the way to work. Once I found out what they were about, I kept meaning to go, but never got around to it. Last year, they opened one in my city about two miles from where I live. Once I tried some of their products, I could have kicked myself for not patronizing them sooner.
  • aprilfiege
    aprilfiege Posts: 28
    Options
    They are opening a Trader Joe's in my city on Friday! I am so excited because I heard a lot of positive stuff about that place!

What are your favorite Trader Joe's items? Some simple stuff that I can buy healthier/cheaper there? :happy: Can't wait! I will be making a trip there this weekend for sure! (It is going to be a madhouse I bet though so I would like a few items I can just go find really quick lol)

This place is THE BEST! Super affordable and seriously just about every single thing I've bought from this store is DELICIOUS! I don't know how they do it !!!!!!!!!!!!! You will love it :)
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Ah yes.. almost forgot! 21 seasoning salute... So tasty and salt free!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I make monthly pilgrimages to Trader Joe's!!!

Some of my faves are: Raw Almond Butter, Berry Sherbet, Ezekiel Bread, Guacamole Hummus, any of their turkey/chicken sausages, Broccoli Slaw, Olive Oil Popcorn, Organic Low-Fat String Cheese, Reduced Sugar Strawberry Jam...pretty much anything, haha. If you eat pasta, their whole wheat organic spaghetti is pretty cheap, too.

They also just came out with a dark chocolate and black sea salt caramel bar. It's AMAZING, and about 200 cals per serving, with two servings in one bar. Sometimes, I think about exercising away an extra 400 calories just to eat it, but I usually come back to the laws of reality and moderation. Usually.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love the prices at Trader Joe's. Olive oil, almond butter, cheeses, and produce are all cheaper, and good quality. This week I bought an 8 oz. chub of smoked mozzarella for half what they sell it for at Albertsons.
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    This Fig Walks Into a Bar is my favorite bar. I like the veggie sticks also.
  • daneslord
    daneslord Posts: 31
    Options
    While I love everything they have, most of it I've found to be junk foodish, and mostly unhealthy. Still, if you splurge, you're gonna splurge. So do it in small amounts.
  • koukla702
    koukla702 Posts: 171
    Options
    Mmmm they have really good Chile Lime Chicken Burgers in the frozen section...
    I cook it in my george forman, put it on a thin bun and add 1oz queso fresco = heaven!