How much is too much --- Water?

Options
A friend of mine told me that you aren't supposed to drink more than 8 glasses of water a day? I know that taking in large amounts too quickly can lead to water poisoning, but spaced out over an entire day is it dangerous to go over the 8 glasses? :drinker:

Replies

• Chrissy78
    Options
    A friend of mine told me that you aren't supposed to drink more than 8 glasses of water a day? I know that taking in large amounts too quickly can lead to water poisoning, but spaced out over an entire day is it dangerous to go over the 8 glasses? :drinker:
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you are passing the water, and not holding it in I believe it would be safe to drink more than 8 glasses of water a day. If you drink one 16 ounce glass an hour or every hour and a half that would give you a gallon in a days time and still be reasonable. especially if it replaces your other fluid intake.
  • babyhippo
    Options
    :huh: How in the world are you able to drink more than 8 glasses of water a day? People must hear you "swishing" when you walk by.
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you are not thirsty or hungry there is no reason to force yourself to drink water. If that is what you're doing-that would be considered too much.

Otherwise, we get our fluid intake from foods as well. And, Dr. Oz has said that all beverages including coffee and tea count as your beverage intake of 8 glasses a day.

One last note, if you are drinking 8 glasses of water and are still constantly thirsty there may be an underlying medical reason such as diabetes you may want to consider.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure coffee counts as a negative glass of water because it is a diuretic and causes you to flush water. I always add a cup of water to my day if Ive had coffee. And its 8 cups not 8 glasses as most assume. One glass is about 2 cups I keep a glass of water by me and drink all day.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I heard several times- ( from Weight Watchers, and other health conscious articles, and such) that it is safe and actually healthy to drink one half your weight in ounces for weight loss...so if you weight 150, you should be drinking 75 ounces of water per day.

While some may see that as too much, depending on the weight of the person, it does make a lot of sense when you think about it- what is 'enough' for a 125 lb person is not necessarily going to be enough for a 250 lb person-
    That being said, of course I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but I've done the 'half your weight in ounces" thing while losing weight and I found it increased my weight loss by quite a bit. Not only that, but of course my skin was clearer and brighter than ever-

I've heard about the 'negative water' thing too- coffee, tea and sodas can acutally counter water drinking!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    If you are not thirsty or hungry there is no reason to force yourself to drink water. If that is what you're doing-that would be considered too much.

Otherwise, we get our fluid intake from foods as well. And, Dr. Oz has said that all beverages including coffee and tea count as your beverage intake of 8 glasses a day.

One last note, if you are drinking 8 glasses of water and are still constantly thirsty there may be an underlying medical reason such as diabetes you may want to consider.

I disagree with the part about not drinking unless you are thirsty. I've always read and heard that if you are thirsty you are already starting to dehydrate.

I have heard there is a such thing as too much water but I don't know how much is too much.
  • Chrissy78
    Options
    :laugh: Swish Swish LOL . I just had my sugar checked and it's ok. I'm not sure how much is habit, A year ago on the 26th I quit smoking, and at the same time quit drinking soda. I was addicted to mt dew. I took a can everywhere, even to bed, I was drinking outrageous amounts of pop. I haven't had a mt dew in almost a year, and switched to juice drinks, and tea, and the occasional other type of soda. This year is the year to work on my weight. So I have switched from the sugary juices to water--all water. If I mess up and have just one of anything, I think I'll be done for. For me, I'm like an alcholic, who couldn't have just one beer. If that makes sense. So, I do drink constantly, but now it's just water. :drinker: BTW BTW I ma weighing in at 354 at the docs, and 348.8 at home, so I have a long way to go :ohwell:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    There is another tread on here about the same subject and it says that drinking a large amount in a short time is bad for you, but if you spread it out it's okay.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You would have to drink a lot of water to create physical problems. Like the woman who died trying to do a radio promotion for a Wiilast summer. They had to drink water every hour and the last person who didn't go pee won a Wii. The woman died from "water intoxication"

Water intoxication (also known as hyperhydration or water poisoning) is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain function that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits, ironically by that which makes up the majority of it - water.[1] Normal, healthy (both physically and nutritionally) individuals have little to worry about accidentally overconsuming water. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume more than ten litres over the course of just a few minutes, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed.

Here is the full outline of water intoxication from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    This is an awesome conversation and serves as an example of knowing what is the "correct" way to do things to accomplish what we want to do--which is be healthier and more fit.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well I've gotten up to 100oz in a day, which is about 1.5 gallons. Since I drank it throughout the day, it posed no danger. The real danger lies in drinking a LOT in a very short amount of time. It basically passed right through the stomach, so you can pass water fairly quickly. On a normal day I drink about 2-3L, whether I'm thirsty or not. I know I need it because I'm extremely active and I eat a lot of protein.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    8 oz water x 8=64 ounces or a half a gallon
    there are 128 ounces in a gallon. which is a lot of water
  • leelee93
    Options
    I drink about 1 1/2 gallons per day. I drink a liter before 5:30am weekdays. I love it. I am not diabetic but always feel the need to have a drink with me so the choice is water. Don't get me wrong, I sure do love Southern Sweet Iced Tea. It is my favorite thing. I rather have it than food, however, if I drink a glass, i automatically get that high and want it again and again. there are 180 calories in a large sized Chic Filet sweet tea per dietfacts.com. So on most days-No Thanks, I would rather eat.
    Happy day!
  • byeuboy
    Options
    I drink a minimum of 8 cups (64 oz) every day. Sometimes I get in 10 cups. I also read the article somewhere that stated drink 1/2 your weight in oz's but that's alot. Water keeps you hydrated and it keeps your body flushed of toxins and helps keep your other organs and functions (you know what I mean) in correct working order. I believe that an overabundance of water, more than 10 cups a day, for anybody, is not really recommended. Just my 2 cents.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    this site actually has a calculator and some helpful info about water intake

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/water.htm
  • missmelis
    Options
    Hey,

I heard you could also judge this by the colour of your urine. If its dark...you're dehydrated, so drink more water...if it's light you're over-hydrated...so drink less water...urine should be the colour of lemonade...that means you're daily water intake is just right. Okay, this sounded better coming from my personal trainer! LOL
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Any tips on how to make sure I get that whole gallon in a day??? I love water, but I also have to0 have at least one glass of tea day, and milk and juice, so alot of times I wait to long between drinks and never get close to 64 oz. I'm about to have a baby and then will want to get that "1/2 my weight" amount in, but if I cant even get 64 oz in, how am i gonna manage more than that??
  • twink3110
    Options
    I heard the more you weigh the more water you should take in too. I also heard from a uroligist that your urine should be clear. Not yellow or light yellow but completely clear. I put eight pennys on my window sill above my sink and move them when I drink a cup of water..............as soon as all eight pennies are to one side I know I've got the eight but I still drink if I feel like it or if my urine is yellow.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When the Dr says your urine should be clear, he means you should be able to see through it. It should have a little yellow tint to it but should be clear not cloudy. If your urine looks like water your body is getting abit too much and is just flushing it before it even uses it.