Accuracy of MFP numbers put to the test...

Options
jcearth
jcearth Posts: 46 Member
So I started using My Fitness Pal on May 26th of this year as a tool to help with the lifestyle change (not a diet) that I began on March 9th. At that point, I had already lost 67 pounds but I was becoming very uncomfortable with my eating. Not that I was eating too much, but that I was scared to be put in a situation where I didn't know exactly what I was consuming, and not eat anything at all. I had started an excel spreadsheet in March at work and had kept it up for a few weeks, but found it too difficult to keep up (especially after a weekend). So I just gave myself calorie goals to stay under for each meal, and kept as good as a running tab as I could for each day. However, I still felt that if I had a bad meal or a bad day, that I would begin to sabotage my efforts. And then I got the MFP mobile app. It took a couple of days to get used to it, but now I don't know how I managed without it. Being able to record everything I was eating with great ease boosted my confidence in my fat shedding abilities into the stratosphere. Coupled with the new heart rate monitor I received as a gift from my wife, I was not as sure as one could be of the work I was doing. So over the past 47 days, I have recorded every morsel of food entering my body, and entering the calorie counts from my HRM for every drop of sweat I efforted. So how do the numbers stack up? Did I lose what MFP said I would. Let's find out:

I began my journey at 471 pounds. When I started MFP, I weighed in at 404 pounds. Over the past 47 days MFP says that I should have lost 28.73 pounds (about 4.28 pounds per week - even though they say 2 is the maximun that you should lose per week, on some days that would have me eating 4500 calories, which I will not do). And what did I weigh this morning:

375. For a 29 pound loss since beginning on MFP, and a 96 pound loss overall (I'm coming for you, 100 pounds). So in my case, it has been a pretty accurate register of my weight loss. I have been stressing to everyone I know that the best way to lose weight is to write down EVERYTHING that you eat and be HONEST about it (a steak as big as the plate is not 5 ounces).

So there you have it, and this is one man who will be using MFP for another 125 pounds.

7980302.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Right on!!! Keep up the good work! I just started a month ago, and MFP (and my new heart rate monitor) have been huge blessings in my life.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep up the great work!!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    THUMBS UP TO YOU!!!! I found MFP to be 'generally' accurate as well.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Get that 100 lbs!!

You're doing great!
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!! Excellent report and incredible transformation thus far. Keep doing what you do!
  • blueillusion3
    blueillusion3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    that's awesome! almost at the 100 lb mark, congrats!!!

and like you, MFP is pretty accurate for me too (when i'm doing things correctly)..
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS TO YOU! And thank you for taking the time to put this into perspective. Keep up the good work!
  • cjpblue
    cjpblue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That is awsome. I have wondered myself how accurate it is, but I wouldn't have taken the time to check it. Thank you for doing that. And congratulations on your success. Keep strong! We all deserve the best that life can offer.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss.

Something I read in an article this morning is the "general consensus" is that it is safe to lose 1% of your weight a week, so in your case it's okay, and I would almost say expected, for you to lose more.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic, and so inspiring!! You will get that 100 in no time!!
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Inspiring story! Keep up the great work!!! And thanks for sharing with us!
  • paulmg1234
    paulmg1234 Posts: 37
    Options
    Good job! Tracking everything that I eat seems to be the only way to lose weight for me. I eat every single exercise calorie back and use a HR monitor too. MFP has been really accurate for me too.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Wow! You so totally rock! Way to go and keep up the good work. Thanks for supporting my confidnece in MFP!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! It can be hardwork (especially the being honest with yourself about logging your food... a difficult mental hurdle for most of us), but you are well on your way!

I trust MFP's numbers too. This status of mine, from a few days ago, says it all:

"So, I just prepared this long, venting statement about how the numbers I'm seeing on the scale don't make sense, and everything sucks, and blahblahblahblah. Well. True, the scale hasn't moved in a couple weeks. True, I was expecting a 1 pound loss over the last two weeks and that hasn't happened. But as I was preparing to vent that the number don't make sense, I did the math to "prove my point". Which I ended up disproving entirely. Over the past 30 days, I have not eaten over a net of 1800 calories. My TDEE is 1872. Most days in the past 30 I've eaten net around 1500-1600. That means I have a debt of about 300 calories per day. 300*30 = 9000. Divided by the 3500 needed to make a pound? Brings me to about 2.5 lbs that should have been lost over the last 30 days. I just accessed my MFP Report on weight loss over the past 30 days. Guess how much I've lost? Lol. "
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Great story! That is so amazing of you to start taking care of yourself even at such a high weight. Most people up there think that its too late for them but it never too late!
    I also have the mobile app and I love it! It is a little harder when Im adding my own homemade meals to figure out the calories in them but normally hits right about right. I love being accountable for every single bit of food I eat and it has helped so much for me!
    I would like a heart rate monitor..may I ask what one do you have?
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Get that 100!!!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!