Weekly workout routines?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to working out. I was super skinny at one point, but it definitely wasn't the healthy way. I've certainly put on weight. I worked at a "meathead" gym and everyone had "leg day" "arm day" "everyday." I'm starting to realize that this definitely is not the norm or even really that effective. So far I've been doing between 30-35 minutes of HIIT cardio three times a week with no weight training, along with controlling my diet more. I am starting to loose weight but really would prefer to tone up then get skinnier. I would rather look great naked than fit into a size zero pant again, lolol.
With all that being said, do you guys have any suggestions? Or even just your workout routines so that I can see what the "average" looks like. Thank you!!! :)

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My goals, abilities, and preferences are probably different than yours, so my workout routine won't be of much help to you. If you need a strength program, follow any of the popular programs mentioned here daily, like NROL4W or Stronglifts. Or hire a good trainer and get a customized routine. There's also a routine in my profile. Most good beginner programs work the entire body 3 times per week, or an upper/lower split 2x week. You can fit in the cardio on your non-lifting days, or after lifting. :+1:
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 times a week, breaking it down by chest & back on Mondays, Arms on Wednesdays & Legs & shoulders on Fridays, with Tuesday & Thursdays for cardio.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I follow Stronglifts 5x5 which is a 3day program - full body, compound lifts.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

My cardio activity includes walking everywhere and the occasional hike.
  • AmandaLynn91316
    AmandaLynn91316 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How do you like the stronglifts? That's the one I'm seriously looking at. I don't mind working out six days a week, but don't want a six day program. That's perfect because 3 weights and 2/3 cardio. Thanks!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    How do you like the stronglifts? That's the one I'm seriously looking at. I don't mind working out six days a week, but don't want a six day program. That's perfect because 3 weights and 2/3 cardio. Thanks!

I am really enjoying it.

They have a free app you can download to track your workouts and progress. It also has a rest timer included.

It is nice because it's not a lot of confusing exercises, it takes less than an hour, it is straight forward and you are getting more bang for your buck with the compound movements. No 'arm day, chest day, back day' - those are not needed when you are a beginner.

You can do your cardio on your non-lifting days.

It fits my schedule really well, which is key for me because it allowed me to stick to the program and make progress. I started from the bottom with the empty bar and am working my way up.

I have been doing it for five months now, and I do believe the progressive nature, the ease of following a structured program, and the fact that I'm not at the gym for hours on end, is key in my sticking to it.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your goals and experience level as to what is best.

5x5 is a good basic routine that is popular and pretty easy to stick to. The good is it is easy to remember, hits about all the muscle groups, and builds strength. What I don't like is there isn't much volume, you can get hurt if you aren't using good technique, lifting heavy at every workout, squats at every workout.

I've done it before, but felt like I wasn't getting enough volume on a regular basis. I still use the 2 workouts in a modified manner and have added 2 other days as well to customize it for me.

If you decide to go the 5x5 route, here are some tips:
    - ALWAYS do warm up sets that don't count in your 5 sets. My warmup is probably overkill, but it helps me add volume to the basic workout. Whenever I do bench, for example, I start with an empty bar. My sets look like 20@45lbs, 15@95lbs, 12@135lbs, 10@185lbs, 8@225lbs. Then I do my 5 sets of 275-295lbs. I start with an empty bar on everything except deadlift, which is awkward without weights.
    - Start slow. Work on your technique and get it perfect. Like I said, you can hurt yourself if you start getting heavy too quick and your technique sucks. Take the time to build all those supporting muscles that compound lifts use and teach yourself to use good technique. My legs are way stronger than my squat shows, but until I get the other muscles up to speed, my legs are stalled.

Once you become a pro at 5x5, you can start modifying things. I do a progressive routine based on 5x5.
    Day 1 is 5x5 Workout A
    Day 2 is 5x5 Workout B
    Day 3 is 12-15 rep Chest, Back, and Abs
    Day 4 is 12-15 rep Shoulders, Arms, and Abs
    Repeat. I just do it every other day plus cardio. It works for me for now.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I follow Stronglifts 5x5 which is a 3day program - full body, compound lifts.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

My cardio activity includes walking everywhere and the occasional hike.

Another vote for Stronglifts. It's awesome!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I also do Stronglifts. I workout at 5 am every day. MWF are lifting days, TTh are running days with a long run on Saturday.

Early mornings work best for me. Evenings are always a crapshoot schedule-wise, but nothing ever interrupts my schedule at 5 am. And I can be out the door and halfway through my workout before my brain is awake enough to put up a protest!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Here is the list of popular programmes.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I do AllPro. It's progression is reps before weight so you are working at a lower % weight lifted and progressively higher reps. It leans a little more to hypertrophy than 5x5 which leans toward strength.
    I just like it because it suits me as I am old for a beginner lifter.

Cheers, h.
  • kjablinskey
    kjablinskey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts. I use the app too, it's great. I used the free version for a year before paying the $10 for the full version. It gives you warmup sets and allows you to add auxiliary exercises. I'd say it's worth it. Wish I'd gotten it sooner.

I also think you've gotten good advice from gaucho, but definitely start lifting weights and get someone to critique your form early on. Don't wait until you're lifting heavy and have bad form to correct.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to loose weight while maintaining/toning up muscle. So I do strength 3 times a week which right now is only calisthenics through circuit training for around 30 minutes give or take.(I use the app Sworkit and love it). I also do cardio 5 times a week (30 min on strength days and 60 min on others..usually running, zumba, or tae bo) and I do yoga twice a week for recovery days. :) That works for me for now.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My schedule is like this:

Monday - cardio/HIIT
    Tuesday - upper body workout
    Wednesday - lower body workout
    Thursday - cardio/HIIT
    Friday - upper body workout
    Saturday - cardio/whatever I feel needs more work
    Sunday - yoga & legs (I love doing a heavy leg session after yoga, I perform the best this way)
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Daily is planche practice followed by
    Insanity Max 30 Monday through Friday with YOYOG Ap mixed in some of the days. I am Almost ready to go back to 3 minutes of sprints on Tues and Thurs as a post work out topping.
    Friday post workout push-up challenge happens when I feel like it.
    Saturday alternates between treadmill fast pace and outside long distance running. Occasional dance to crazy speed beats late night.
    Sunday is rest day and yoga.
    Yeah if you are doing true HIIT, and you stick with it hitting it really hard without injury, you will love our results. Keep it up!