"Cheat days"

Options
I just started back adding all my food calories and getting a little disappointed. It seems it's expensive to eat healthy. Last Thursday I went to a funeral so that was a cheat day...and this morning I went to burger king. Well I made my calorie goal oops (forgot that peanut butter cookie) but fat content went over. Tomorrow I have a birthday party and there will be pumpkin paraline cake...well can't deny myself that.

I need will power. I'm starting again to drink about 64 ounces of water a day. And constantly thirsty..

I don't need to loose awhole lot 10 pounds to start...but how do I start? How do I say no to junk food when it's constantly around?

Sorry for the rambling..

~Ellen

Replies

• Erbs_n_spice_I_am_nice
    Erbs_n_spice_I_am_nice Posts: 38 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What do you want more ... burger king or to lose 10 lbs?

My initial reaction is both but obviously loosing the ten pounds is more important. Thank you!
  • Erbs_n_spice_I_am_nice
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with Burger King or pumpkin praline cake. If you want to include things like these once in a while, just plan ahead for it by cutting back in other areas that day. Also, try a smaller piece of cake - you still get all the flavour, don't feel left out or ripped off, and it will have less of a caloric impact, too.

For me, deprivation was a highway to failure. Once I realized that I could include the things I love into my menu - provided it was done in moderation - I was a much happier camper.

I lost 75 lbs in a year, too. :)

Thanks for your advice I don't go to burger king often. This past week was harder for me somehow.

Great job on your weight loss!

~Ellen

• Erbs_n_spice_I_am_nice
    Options
    How do you say no? Easy. That's where motivation comes in. Do you want x or do you want y? Go to your inspirations list, and think whether eating everything you want at Burger King is more important than those inspirations. When framed like that, the choices typically become much easier.

Great idea thank you
    ~Ellen
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about prep meals? If you know you already have the food made you'll be less likely to convince yourself to cheat.
  • Erbs_n_spice_I_am_nice
    Options
    leaninsc wrote: »
    Do you also exercise? For me that is when it became easier to start saying no to some cravings. It was like I didn't want to undo all my hard work, early mornings, all the time, effort, and money I was putting in at the gym. I could see how much progress I was making and didn't want to take away from it with poor food choices. I started looking at it as I was investing that time into my body and then I was motivated to protect that investment the other hours of the day. That's when I really started feeling a shift in the food choices I was making. I saw a quote that said, "Take care of your body. Where else are you going to live?" and that really stuck with me. It also became a matter of wanting to be more healthy, not just dropping weight.

That said, I'm not perfect and I do have occasional treats and cheats, just not every day. But the more I fuel my body and the more it performs for me, the more motivated I get to nourish it. And eventually, I stopped even having the Burger King/Chick Fil A kind of cravings. ;)

And no, you don't need to exercise to lose weight. Just that mentally I started making better nutrition choices once I started seeing my strength, fitness level, physical abilities, etc improve. Results started fueling motivation. The trick is sticking with it, both nutrition and exercise, while it's still not fun and before you start seeing the results. The motivation starts coming much more easily when you can see and feel the progression.

I'm starting too. Walking 2 miles a day. I figured out why that week was a bad week. Usually don't have cravings for burger king just was convenient and it was a ham egg and cheese crossiant! ;) this week was much better..
  • Erbs_n_spice_I_am_nice
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    Have you thought about prep meals? If you know you already have the food made you'll be less likely to convince yourself to cheat.

Yes I kind of did that today. Thanks for the advice. This week was much better!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I hard boil a bunch of eggs and stick them in the fridge. It's a quick and cheap breakfast some mornings.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    There will always be a party, a special occasion, after work drinks etc etc etc. get used to saying no
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am in my 20s, I literally say no to going for "drinks" at least twice a week, I don't have FOMO at all
  • Erbs_n_spice_I_am_nice
    Options
    I'm getting used to it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP what is your rate of loss set at and what is your calorie goal? Are you eating back some exercise cals when you are walking 2 miles/day?

With 10 lbs to lose you should aim to lose 0.5 lb/week which is a 250 cal deficit from your maintenance cals. I'm not saying you should eat with wild abandon but it's possible to fit in things like a breakfast sandwich from BK or a special dessert on a regular basis without it hindering your progress...

• pasewaldd
    pasewaldd Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    After a while of eating healthy, your tastebuds change (at least mine did) and the food you want and crave change, too. Now I crave healthy snacks like peanut butter and cottage cheese. Or an apple and a protein bar, or I make ice cream with my Herbalife protein and formula 1 and berries. There are so many healthy choices once you do it for a while. I do a lot of Pinterest.
  • adriennevy
    adriennevy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    leaninsc wrote: »
    It was like I didn't want to undo all my hard work, early mornings, all the time, effort, and money I was putting in at the gym. I could see how much progress I was making and didn't want to take away from it with poor food choices. I started looking at it as I was investing that time into my body and then I was motivated to protect that investment the other hours of the day. That's when I really started feeling a shift in the food choices I was making....

... Results started fueling motivation. The trick is sticking with it, both nutrition and exercise, while it's still not fun and before you start seeing the results. The motivation starts coming much more easily when you can see and feel the progression.

THIS, 100%! Especially when I see how much effort on the elliptical goes into burning 200 calories, it's easier to say no to that 200 calorie snack. It's just not worth it. Personally, I'm trying to eat very little (not zero) carbs and sugar, which means eating more protein and healthy fats. I only started with a 15lb goal, and I've lost 5lbs in 3 weeks. Also, since I've been eating less of those things, my cravings for them has also decreased dramatically.

To make things easier on myself, I've started making healthy foods in large batches... for example I found a white bean chili recipe that is ~250 calories per serving and lots of protein, and I've been eating that for dinners the past week. It's easy to just come home, pop it in the microwave, and know that I'm still achieving my goals. I do similar things for lunches at work. Having meals thought out ahead of time makes it way easier to not cheat.

Good luck!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I usually find that logging the food before I eat it can help me to think about whether I really want to eat that particular treat. Sometimes the answer is yes. I have found that a little bit of planning can get pretty much anything I want, although is smaller quantities, into my day. Trying to give up an particular thing was a recipe for increased cravings ending with big binges so I don't have cheat days. I just plan my food so that I can have some of those sweets, treats and junk food every day.

It helps that I have a very physically active lifestyle so my daily expenditure is fairly high and my calorie goal is a generous 2200 a day. Still I do struggle to stay under it at times.
  • Daggaroth
    Daggaroth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Decreasing gradually from those things you know is not good for you can be extremely beneficial to ultimately saying no to the junk food around you. Myself for example I love Taco Bell. Its terrible but there it is. When I was at my heaviest I would go 2 - 3 times a week and order 4 items off the menu plus a large soda. When I decided to finally start eliminating weight I would make an effort to go less frequently but would often get cravings and "treat" myself for being good. Well that wasn't working so I decided to reduce the amount I ordered, so I would order 3 things off the menu and a large soda. Then only once a week, then 2 things and a large soda, then two things and a medium soda, then 2 things and a large water, and then once every other week, and now I order one thing whenever I go to taco bell, The Crunch Wrap Supreme with extra sour cream and hot sauce. The thing is amazingly tasty, but now I really don't feel the need to go there more than maybe once every other month.

Also during this period of about a year where I was going to Taco Bell less and less, I found myself eating healthier, to the point where I preferred it over my former normal food items. The last doughnut I ate was so dang sweet I felt ill for several hours after the fact! So now when I look at a doughnut I can easily say "No thank you" or "maybe just a half , or a quarter if I am really interested in a sugar rush" But that magnetic draw I had to that junk food is now gone, or at least severely diminished. I still cheat on occasion but now I find myself wanting a salad or a single piece of dark chocolate instead of a burger and an entire milk chocolate candy bar.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Meal plan and pre-log your days. I often put my dinner into MFP before I even eat breakfast...makes less room for fast food and that soda I WANT to drink but don't need.