EMOTIONAL EATING

Options
I am in the middle of a Divorce and Everytime I have to deal with my soon to be ex and learning more about his other women, I tend to run straight to food. I have talk to people and that doesn't help. What can I do about EMOTIONAL EATING. HELP!

Replies

• SheilaTrueLove
    SheilaTrueLove Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me with EMOTIONAL EATING. I'm going through a Divorce and I'm eating for comfort. This is not good.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself. I think you would benefit from counseling.
  • ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    try to find another activity to replace your eating episodes....a craft, a game, exercise, call someone, meditate, listen to music, paint your nails, read....things you enjoy.
    be fully aware of your behavior and have a plan. A **positive** plan. If it occurs at the same time every day, set a reminder or alarm on your phone. Or, make your reminder a pep talk to yourself.
    1.Take one day at a time.
    2. It's going to be ok. AND...
    3. you are worth it.
  • Dekayla13
    Dekayla13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are going through such a stressful time. Emotional eating is my downfall, too. Try to distract yourself with a hobby (I do crochet or journaling). You could start a weight lifting program and turn your stress into spite and start smashing your goals to make him and his other women jealous! I can be petty and catty in situations like that so I may be no help :) I hope you find something that works for you!
  • Red5092
    Red5092 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Try something physical like kickboxing or regular boxing. You would probably enjoy getting to hit or kick something while you're going through this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP, check out this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1012-emotional-eating

I don't post there currently (although I should, I struggle with this off and on), but it's reasonably active and might help to have some others to talk to who share the struggles.
  • ThinkinPositive827
    ThinkinPositive827 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can get yourself some sucky candys . So whenever you get the erge to eat you just pop a sugar free candy in and go outside . As far away from the fridge as possible . Until you've calmed down and your mind willl automatically focus on something else
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Don't let a man who has hurt you influence you to get overweight. Think on that.. don't give him that power. Eat celery ... cucumbers.. and do some pushups.. to heck with him!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    The reality is that everytime you run to food to deal with your ex, he wins, because he has gotten under your skin. have you noticed that whatever you are turning to, food wise - is that helping the situation?

It is important that you find other ways to self soothe. Not with food. It doesnt work, and often makes you feel even worse.

You can predict your reaction to having contact with your ex - you now need to predict your responses. As others have said, find something else that you find calming - get in a hot tub or shower, take up kick boxing, go to a movie, go talk to someone - anything but food.

You will get through this and be a better person for it. Good luck
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Find another outlet... for me, it's walks. Or watching a show.

The thing is, eating when I'm feeling down just makes me feel worse, because not only food doesn't make it better, I feel guilty on top of it... so there's really NO point. But you can always channel your emotions into making a tasty meal and eat a REASONABLE portion of it.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Try not to do mindless stress eating. Only eat meals that you have planned, sit down at a table (no eating standing up), and eat slowly. Enjoy your food. If you gulp down food your brain won't even register it sometimes. Take your time. Think of food as nourishment and make healthy, balanced meals. Hugs.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Im an emotional eater and Im struggling with not eating my feelings every day right now. Sometimes it gets the best of me but lately I take it out on my tennis shoes and I pick up weights. I punish my muscles instead of my waist line.

So girl- use that *kitten* for fuel. Fuel for YOU!!

Dont tie your self worth to this (or any) man, relationship, your weight or your food.
    Find something you enjoy. Something to occupy your time.

Sure- eat some ice cream and get mad. But then get your butt in gear and remember not to help yourself suffer more than already are. Dont give him or this situation any power over you.
    There will be bad days so take them as they come and dont grieve too long over them.
    Soon, there will be more good days than bad.
    xoxoxo
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting counseling. You are going through a horribly stressful time, and it helps to have someone who is non-judgemental and objective to talk to. It's a good way to put all those emotions out there and to not let them fester inside you.

I have issues with emotional eating too, so I just got rid of all the high calorie junk. I have string cheese, cucumbers, fruit, and rice cakes to eat when I feel like munching. It helps when I just absolutely no control to be able to have things that won't totally blow my calories for the day.
  • _LotusSpark_
    _LotusSpark_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I strongly agree that keeping yourself and your thoughts preoccupied with positive and activities will be beneficial. I speak from experience . Since childhood I've struggled with emotional eating. Reading success stories here has helped me in the past. I hope you can find something that works for you. Wishing you much success!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater, too. I try to focus on distraction: walks, read a chapter of a book, clean the bathroom, check FB...whatever. The urge usually lasts only a few minutes.

Get exercise. If you reduce stress physically, you are more able to deal emotionally. Yoga is great. I recommend martial arts for focus, kicking and punching. But anything will work.

I found with emotional eating, there *are* healthy foods that are soothing. A hot cup of tea is very good. So are crunchy foods like carrots, celery, and the like. I found sugar free gum good, too. And healthy comfort food for meals like mashed potatoes, chicken noodle soup, and the like really do help.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this. I have tried many things to help. The most successful has been self talk followed by enormous water then changing the channel by distracting myself. Once you realize that the emotional eating is starting up, go to emergency protocol. First I say , "so and so really has upset me. They might ruin my day but I'm not going to let them ruin my body." Then I force myself to chug a huge water. Next I say. Im cleaning this cupboard. Or I'm taking the car to get washed. Even cutting up veggies cause they don't have many calories, just be careful not to get hurt. Also vigorous exercise even ten minutes seems to quell the food attacks.

I have half rate of success with this but it's starting to work. It took me many attempts but it's starting to become a habit. Hang in there and keep trying.

Hugs to you. I am so sorry about what happened!