30 and feeling it

Options
Hi everyone!
I recently turned 30 and it is starting to show. I use to be pretty active in sports and dance but then i grew up and time passed and BOOM. Hello. muffin top.
Just started back at the gym as i am going to Mexico in 4 weeks and the thought of being in a bikini is terrifying.
I always thought i could go at it alone but after years of paying for a membership i never used i am trying something different.
Anyone here have a fear of walking into the gym? How did you get passed it?

Replies

• kaleebrenner
    kaleebrenner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    nicole5096 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    I recently turned 30 and it is starting to show. I use to be pretty active in sports and dance but then i grew up and time passed and BOOM. Hello. muffin top.
    Just started back at the gym as i am going to Mexico in 4 weeks and the thought of being in a bikini is terrifying.
    I always thought i could go at it alone but after years of paying for a membership i never used i am trying something different.
    Anyone here have a fear of walking into the gym? How did you get passed it?

I'm quite shy so when I used to have a gym membership I felt self-conscious a lot, especially when I was on the weight equipment. However, I focussed on my stubbornness instead and how mad I would be at myself if I let my anxiety get in the way of what I want.

Also, something that really helped me is having the thought, "I'm not that important." And that sounds like it could be counter-productive, but it isn't. When I say that, I mean that other people at the gym don't care about me. They're not there to watch me work out, they're there to get/stay in shape themselves so they're not paying attention to me, and that helps a lot.

I totally agree! I always just tell myself, no one is paying attention to me. And honestly I find that's true! The only people I really notice at the gym are the big muscly guys who make all kinds of grunting noises while lifting lol (How could you not notice them!?). But as for all the other regular people like myself, I don't give them a second thought. (Other than sometimes being impressed!) Listening to some really good music or an intriguing podcast/audio book while working out helps get me out of my own head. (Listening to some tunes that really pump you up on the way TO the gym definitely helps get you in the right mindset, too!)
  • nicole5096
    nicole5096 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I appreciate the feedback! It is so true though.. Nobody is really paying attention to others. Having great music has definitely helped in the past.
    I am 100% not expecting a miracle in 4 weeks and have certainly focused on eating healthy. I just want to feel like i have made the effort and plan on making this a lifestyle change and not some quick fix.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    4 weeks would be a quick fix! Decide what kind of effort towards which goals you can do in 4 weeks. Maybe that means simply logging all your meals for one week, then starting to make minor changes from there. It might also include listing out a plan of what you will do on vaca to stay on track. Also have a plan for what you will do when you get back so you can continue the lifestyle change.
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was about 30 when I started to take control if my health again. I worked out at home and still do. You don't have to go to a gym. Start eating healthier and do some exercise and you'll get there. I'm going to Mexico in about 4 weeks too!