When something really bad happens...

Hey friends, I could sure use some advice as something rather traumatic just happened and I am spiraling into total emotional eating, I am worried about losing all my progress i dont know what to do... help please not feeling strong I do not post often here but read a lot... I could use some words of support :'( Thanks

Replies

• joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Breathe breathe breathe.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Relax, take the control back, deal with your emotions. Stay on track, log everything, plan ahead and stay strong.

Talk to friends, in real life or on here so you have an outlet for your emotions so you can start dealing with the issue and start the healing process.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Breathe, walk, grab an apple, nap, make tea. On good days I can do those things. Other days I struggle. Take care of yourself!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    At several points in life it's ok to do something that might help your emotional state.
    Chocolate, 85% cocao, 2 squares daily to combat mild depression.
    St. John's Wort supplement to combat mild depression.
    Talk to someone. Not type to someone. Talk to someone.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    seeing1111 wrote: »
    Hey friends, I could sure use some advice as something rather traumatic just happened and I am spiraling into total emotional eating, I am worried about losing all my progress i dont know what to do... help please not feeling strong I do not post often here but read a lot... I could use some words of support :'( Thanks

I'm sorry something bad happened. Do you have anyone to talk to? Family, friend?
  • andrea_nichol
    andrea_nichol Posts: 47 Member
    So sorry to see you're dealing with a stressful situation. I hope there is someone in your life you can reach out to. There is some good advice up above. Be careful with St Johns Wort if you take any prescription meds, it can interact. Ask a pharmacist if you're not sure. Take care of yourself.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Try to do different things.
    Take deep breaths, mediate, listen to music, make music, talk to someone, write about what you are feeling, create art, do crafts, walk outside, exercise, soak in the tub, clean, paint your house, ask for help, spend time with animals or kids, sleep.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I know it's much easier said than done, but at times like that I think to myself that I can binge and binge some more, and that problem is still going to be there. Eating will solve nothing.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Adding weight to the horrible situation can only make things worse. Take some me time, maybe go to a spa or get a massage to make yourself feel better instead.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • sunny_d22
    sunny_d22 Posts: 316 Member
    I've been going through something very difficult the last two months. Self care is important and part of that for me is sticking with my eating plan and goals. Most days I feel sad, but I'm proud and happy to be sticking with MFP. I'm also talking with someone. All of you had great suggestions for seeing1111.
  • seeing1111
    seeing1111 Posts: 13 Member
    I like what you said sunny_d22. I hope you hang in there too
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    The biggest advice I can say to someone is that when you feel like you have lost all control of the world, you need to realize the one thing you have 100% control of is your body. The way you treat your mind and body is always 100% in your control, so when the rest of the world is in a spiral, that's even more of a reason to focus on your mind and body. Put some earbuds in, turn on your favorite music, do your favorite workout and enjoy the one thing in life you can control 100% of the time.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    I feel for you, I really do. Just remember that whatever you eat, or how much of it you eat, its not going to change what happened, and has a real potential for making it worse, as you blame yourself for being weak and a failure. Now is the time to really fight back against those binge urges and maintain control over what you put in your mouth - nourish it instead of punishing it. While a can or two of Pringles (one of my faves) may have allowed you to become oblivious to the events in your life in the past, it cannot and will not do it now, now that you know better. Every moment that you do not binge is a victory, and a string of victories will make you feel so much stonger. You can do this. We have faith in you, please have faith in yourself.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    I am dealing with something very heavy myself. I have undone a lot of progress Ive made since this situation arose. And it will only get worse. Seeing how I cope concerns me. There have been many days that I have eaten my feelings. (or drank them)
    I have 3 small children and work full time. Crying isnt something I can do as freely as eating.
    But in an effort to not fall apart and realizing how easily I could lose myself, I have opted to take my emotional woes out on my tennis shoes and weights. My anger and grief is better than any pre-workout I can drink.

I dont know your situation but see if you can shift your focus and dont add to your plate over whether or not you overate today. It will happen as we cope. Some days I just eat all the things and go to bed. Others Im ok and well within my goals. Find someone to talk to. A friend to help keep you on track. Find something that gives you joy.
    You can find a way to work through it.
    xoxox
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Don't give up. Take care of yourself.
  • seeing1111
    seeing1111 Posts: 13 Member
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Some days I just eat all the things and go to bed.
    ...... yep, THAT!