Do you burn more calories in hot weather?

Options
Today I walked in 92 degree heat. I know what you are thinking, but it was the only time I could exercise. Typically, I walk during the early morning before it gets so hot. As I was trudging along, I wondered if since calories are a measure of heat, and it was really hot out, would one burn more calories working out during the heat of the day as compared to working out in the morning when it is relatively cool. :glasses:

Replies

• Jenny56dreams
    Jenny56dreams Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Good question...I'd like to know that as well :huh:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you do it is very minimal, if any measurable difference.
  • hanaibo
    hanaibo Posts: 42
    Options
    I'd like to know as well! (Is this when I'm supposed to 'bump'?)...I have heard that it's good to avoid being too comfortable in terms of temperature (ex. air conditioner/heater always on in the house) to maintain a healthy metabolism. I don't know how much that helps, but I'm sure your body would use up some calories trying to regulate your temp..
  • GJ7072
    GJ7072 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That is a VERY good question!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Yes! Last week... after my run. The HRM said that I burned about 200 extra calories than I do normally. I think the reason behind this is because my heart rate was much higher than normal. I do not think this would necessarily relate to walking or doing normal light activity in the heat.

STAY HYDRATED!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. Most sites I see, say no.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Actually I think you burn more in cold weather, cuz your body is already working overtime to stay warm
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Actually I think you burn more in cold weather, cuz your body is already working overtime to stay warm
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Today I walked in 92 degree heat. I know what you are thinking, but it was the only time I could exercise. Typically, I walk during the early morning before it gets so hot. As I was trudging along, I wondered if since calories are a measure of heat, and it was really hot out, would one burn more calories working out during the heat of the day as compared to working out in the morning when it is relatively cool. :glasses:

I would say yes because your heartrate is higher. That said, when it is really hot out and you are exercising your body temperature is also rising and THAT is what is dangerous. You could have a heat stroke even if you are hydrating yourself. I am on a military base and they have different "flags" indicative by the heat and when it is black flag you are not supposed to be outside hardly at all because the risk of heat stroke is extreme due to the heat.
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    Good question - bump
  • avidly
    avidly Posts: 6
    Options
    Nope, I don't believe so. If I remember correctly, working out in heat will help you lose water weight faster through sweating - which can have its own benefits. But as for actual calorie count, it'll be the same. Make sure you drink plenty of water if you go out like that again. Heat exhaustion can sneak up on you. I feel your pain, I'm in Texas and I feel like I can only exercise outside at 5 a.m. or 8 p.m. :tongue:

http://firstaid.webmd.com/heat-exhaustion
  • farabovepearls
    farabovepearls Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If you have a HRM you'll see that you definitely do because you're body is upping your heart rate to keep that blood circulating to keep that HOT HOT blood out of your brain and away from your heart. The opposite is true in cold weather, you burn more calories because your heart is trying to pump hot blood to those vital areas.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    YES, BECAUSE YOUR HEART IS PUMPING FASTER, YOU'RE BODY IS WORKING HARDER, RED
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You are going to sweat it out more in HOT weather and therefore need to take extra care to stay hydrated! Yes, you do burn more calories but I wouldn't think its considerably more. Drink lots of extra water! The number one benefit I have found from working out in summer heat is ya get your tan on! haha LOL.
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DOCTOR!!!

However, I did find these articles with a quick google search:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1815702/do_you_burn_more_calories_exercising.html?cat=50

http://www.shape.com/health/your-health/common-conditions/does-more-sweat-mean-you-burn-more-calories-surprising-sweat-my

I especially liked this line from the second article:
    T/F?: You burn more calories during a hot weather workout.
    True. Your heart needs to work harder to both keep your muscles well oxygenated during cardio and to send extra blood to the surface of your skin to keep your body temperature safe. Unfortunately, the calorie numbers are pretty low, so don't think you've earned an ice cream sundae! Think more like one bite of chocolate.

Enjoy!
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I looked it up on the internet and it said that you do burn more calories doing a walk or run outside. I don't remember how much though. Don't worry about the heat though. I do it 5 days a week here in Texas and it was in the upper 90's today. As long as you drink a lot of water before and after. I drink a whole liter before.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes! Last week... after my run. The HRM said that I burned about 200 extra calories than I do normally.

That was probably due to your heart rate being higher, but you probably didn't really burn that much more the difference is usually 0-5%. You had a higher burn as the calculation in the HRM uses HR as an input, but that does not necessary correlate into burning more calories for real, even though your HRM thinks you did.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options

Yep.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if your heart rate getting higher due to the temperature contributes to more calorie burn. The rise in HR due to hot weather may be unrelated to calorie expenditure, in which case you can't even rely on a HRM to give you an accurate calorie burn count.

EDIT: basically what erickirb said. :)