Inspirational running quotes

Options
There are so many people training for their first half and full marathons right now, why not have a thread with some motivational quotes to help us run through the pain, rain, heat, cold, grouchiness, etc! (thats right, i am totally the girl with the hang in there baby cat poster.....whats it to ya??)

1. Its just a 10k with a 20 mile warm-up! (or a 5k with a 10 mile warm-up)
2. No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch
3. I ran, i ran so far away (ok, thats a flock of seagulls song, but you get the point)

anybody have some??

Replies

• cgd67
    cgd67 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The only thing worse than losing is quitting!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I'm not sweating, that's my fat cells crying. (not specific to running, but I sure do sweat alot when I run, I mean, my fat cells cry alot when I run.)
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of great running quotes, but haven't found a better one in the last 15 years than this one:

“Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    "Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat"
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    My sport is your sport's punishment.
  • ksharon22
    ksharon22 Posts: 111
    Options
    I may not be there yet, but I'm closer then I was yesterday.

I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

That *kitten* ain't going to run itself off.....

You can feel sore tomorrow or you can feel sorry tomorrow...you choose.
  • kassandra1717
    kassandra1717 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of great running quotes, but haven't found a better one in the last 15 years than this one:

“Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”

Thats a good one!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not. When you race him, he will win. -- Tom Fleming's Boston Marathon training sign on his wall.

I just read this quote in Kara Goucher's Running for Women
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Pain is just "weakness" leaving the body! :smile:

Great thread by the way
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    "Run like a Mother" and "Running is cheaper than Therapy".
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
    - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement."
    - Steve Prefontaine

"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."
    -Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder

"You also need to look back, not just at the people who are running behind you but especially at those who don't run and never will... those who run but don't race...those who started training for a race but didn't carry through...those who got to the starting line but didn't in the finish line...those who once raced better than you but no longer run at all. You're still here. Take pride in wherever you finish. Look at all the people you've outlasted."
    - Joe Henderson
  • bryony_pie
    bryony_pie Posts: 40
    Options
    "Some days you're ahead, some days you're behind; the race is long and in the end, it's only with yourself"

Not solely a running quote, It's from Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen, but still, I say the last part to myself a lot when I get frustrated.
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

- John "The Penguin" Bingham
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ""If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." ~ John "The Penguin" Binghman

I love reading his works on running. He keeps running realistic for those of us who might waddle more than run! :wink:
  • Nichole1981
    Nichole1981 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my favs :smile: :

“You have a choice. You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off of your face.”

“Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it. The victorious performance itself is merely the demonstration of their championship character.”

“The five S's of sports training are: Stamina, Speed, Strength, Skill and Spirit;
    but the greatest of these is Spirit.”

“Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”

“Other people may not have high expectations of me, but I have high expectations for myself.”

“Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can.”

"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."

“The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy... It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed."

"The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat."

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”