Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

cookma423 wrote: »
    ka97 wrote: »
    Alidecker wrote: »
    cookma423 wrote: »
    It was awful! I can't wait to do another one!

Spoken like a true triathlete!

Congrats on surviving your first one, sounds like there were a couple of surprises!

Ha, I start cussing at myself for signing up at some point during the triathlon, wondering why I pay to that to myself...then I cross the finish line, and say, yes, I will do that again!

Ha that is so me! Except I usually start cussing at myself the night before!

That was definitely me for this one! I was camping out and couldn't sleep hardly at all until around 2am. Up 4 hours later and going. All worth it though. There will definitely be more in the future!

I was like that on my first one, not sure if I got any quality sleep...I was so nervous.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I'm in my (late) middle 40's and in July I did a sprint triathalon on the Saturday, after winning the place on a Monday, so very little training. My swimming was poor, I was the last one out of the water, and I walked the 'run' as I can't run do to physical problems, I came 3rd from last, BUT I DID IT, and I am SOOOO proud of myself, and I plan to train to compete in an ironman the year I hit 50 - if you really want to do it you will ...

Even with walking the marathon at the end that's seriously ambitious! I recall one of the coaches at my tri club saying that if you had a decent swim & bike you could walk the marathon and still make the 17hr cutoff.

Pick one with a flat bike course & have fun (probably a good idea to get a 5150 & 70.3 under your belt too)

I'm signed up for a 5150 next June and that may be the extent of my ambition, but I said that about 10K races too..... B)

• cookma423
    cookma423 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    @tiny_clanger the transition was easy. I rented a tri wetsuit from my local running store and it was easy to take off. I watched a friend of mine do a tri a few weeks ago, and one of the volunteers was nice enough to help the swimmers walking toward the transition area. Out of all the things I'd worry about regarding a triathlon, that one is pretty low on the list.

Same friend wants to do an Ironman in Germany in about 2 years. I'm thinking a half might be a nice goal for next summer sometime, as long as other life priorities don't get in the way. I need to find a training plan to follow. Any suggestions?
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Even with walking the marathon at the end that's seriously ambitious! I recall one of the coaches at my tri club saying that if you had a decent swim & bike you could walk the marathon and still make the 17hr cutoff.

Pick one with a flat bike course & have fun (probably a good idea to get a 5150 & 70.3 under your belt too)

I'm signed up for a 5150 next June and that may be the extent of my ambition, but I said that about 10K races too..... B)

I've a few years before I hit 50 so have the chance to work my way up through the various distances, will do another couple of sprints next year just to get comfortable. It's a goal to aim towards, but we'll do our best.

And in response to tiny_clanger - on my way from the swim to the bike one of the spectators kindly offered to unzip my wet suit, I'm sure you would find someone willing to help.
  • annaruels412
    annaruels412 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the huge achievement.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Congrats on completing your first triathlon. There's nothing like the first one! Sounds like you've been bitten by the bug and that's great to hear. Triathlon can be very challenging, but that makes it very rewarding as well. Good luck in your training.

@Joanna2012B : You're WAY too young to worry about age as a factor. (I started at 54yrs old) Last season, 3 women I run with decided to move into triathlons. They are all in their 50's and NOT ONE of them knew how to swim last year. They learned to swim over the winter and worked on their cycling as well. This season they all completed a number of triathlons up to the Half Iron distance race. (1.2m Swim, 56m bike, 13.1m run) So I'd say its a perfect time for you to jump right in!

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks @Djproulx @cookma423 @BrianSharpe @rugratz2015 ! I will work on my swimming. I am already adding mileage to my running and I have my cycling down for sure!! I am a little excited thinking of it!!