Supplements for runners ?

Options
Hi, I was wondering what kinds of supplements do you take and do they help (of course in addition to strict diet and consistent running) improve your times ? My experience with supplements is that I used to take C4 pre-workout but it had tons of caffeine and in addition to hight heart rate I had tunnel vision sometimes so I stopped taking it. Now I take Beta Alanin, Magnesium with vit C and D and Glucosamine.

Replies

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I take Glucosamine, but I don't think it helps my times. It does help my knee with arthritis not hurt, but I think figuring out proper form and technique contributed as well. Otherwise, on long runs, I use water, gatorade, and sport jelly beans.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't take anything except sports beans for a long run (sports beans, incidentally, will also help with hangovers... *she discovered accidentally once... or twice*). It never occurred to me to take a supplement, but now I'm going to watch this thread for other experienced runners thoughts on them. :)
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I took Beta Alanin for the first time and my time was slightly better 38:45 8k taking into account it was very hot and the air was heavy and I leave near the beach.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Kati9408 wrote: »
    Yesterday I took Beta Alanin for the first time and my time was slightly better 38:45 8k taking into account it was very hot and the air was heavy and I leave near the beach.

While it is good your time was better, that doesn't mean that the supplement you took had anything to do with your time.

How long have you been running and what kind of weekly running schedule do you typically do?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Legal supplements will not do much for your time. Caffeine helps a little (it can also harm you - too much and your heart will not be happy). For long runs of more than an hour, gels consisting of mostly carbs and electrolytes (and even a little caffeine) can help maintain your stamina. That's about it.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    For runs under an hour, I just take along some water.

For longer duration runs, I use some products made by Hammer Nutrition (I'm not affiliated). I eat one of their 100 cal. maltodextrin gel packets every hour or so whenever I start to feel low on energy. I also add about 1/4 the recommended serving of their "Heed" sports drink powder to my water. Its about 25 cals of carbohydrate and some electrolytes. Keeps me from feeling too "thirsty". If I experience muscle cramping, I take some of their electrolyte replacement tablets.

I'm certain there are competing products, I just have not searched for them. There are no "magic pills" that will make you run better, but these seem to make my longer runs a little more comfortable.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options
    Running fuel ( eg. carbs, natural body fat stores) and running supplements (as the OP is asking about) are two different things.
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Everyone should take creatine. 5mg/day for the typical person.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options
    aashwill wrote: »

Creatine is naturally found in the body. And if a person consumes fish or meat in their diet, he or she will get another dose.
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Creatine is naturally found in the body. And if a person consumes fish or meat in their diet, he or she will get another dose.

Protein is naturally found in the body. That doesn't mean one receives enough of it in their diet. In order to receive the most effective dosage of creatine one would have to consume massive amounts of meat or fish. I have neither the budget nor the appetite for that, so buying $14 of creatine monohydrate every 4 months and mixing it into coffee or water is far easier.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options

Protein is naturally found in the body. That doesn't mean one receives enough of it in their diet. In order to receive the most effective dosage of creatine one would have to consume massive amounts of meat or fish. I have neither the budget nor the appetite for that, so buying $14 of creatine monohydrate every 4 months and mixing it into coffee or water is far easier.

Creatine is not going to do what the OP is looking to do, which is boost her distance time.

While taking the supplement may make you feel good mentally, there is no peer reviewed data (that I am aware of) that notes the need for people to take it every day, much less as a running supplement to shave off seconds for a 5k, 10k or longer training run or race.
  • Kati9408
    Options

While it is good your time was better, that doesn't mean that the supplement you took had anything to do with your time.

How long have you been running and what kind of weekly running schedule do you typically do?

Almost 2 years (since November-December 2014), I usually run around 60-70 km per week, 8-10 km a day sometimes I run longer distances but recently I don't have time.
  • Kati9408
    Options
    Running fuel ( eg. carbs, natural body fat stores) and running supplements (as the OP is asking about) are two different things.

Yes I am asking specifically about supplements.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering what kinds of supplements do you take and do they help (of course in addition to strict diet and consistent running) improve your times ? My experience with supplements is that I used to take C4 pre-workout but it had tons of caffeine and in addition to hight heart rate I had tunnel vision sometimes so I stopped taking it. Now I take Beta Alanin, Magnesium with vit C and D and Glucosamine.

Eating enough calories is supplement enough
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options

She's asking about supplements specific to running. While creatine has many benefits, studies don't show any benefit for cardiovascular exercise.

https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

(20th entry down in the Human Effects Matrix)
    Aerobic Exercise -
    See all 7 studies
    Does not appear to confer any apparent benefit to prolonged cardiovascular exercise.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Citation?

OP - most runners rely on a well balanced diet (usually 50 to 60% carbs) and coffee, lots of coffee!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Based on what requirement, and outcome?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Yes I am asking specifically about supplements.

Personally I stick with food.

I do take a multivit, a fish oil capsule and garlic tablet but not for any running related reason. Mainly because my diet isn't that great.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

this is funny ;) .. on every supplment thread you say that "everyone should take creatine". I really wish I knew who was "everyone" and why?