Just joined a gym....weights?

Options
Treadmill and elliptical are machines I'm very comfortable using.
But everywhere I read it says that I should also be doing some weight training to help with my weight loss...and I have no clue what exercises I should be doing. And as I beginner I feel very nervous about this.

Replies

• FindingCynSporation
    Options
    Even as a beginner, I would suggest trying a class like Body Pump - you learn about moves for all of your muscle groups, and you can use as much or as little weight as you're comfortable with when starting off. (You have to start somewhere :smile:) The first few classes, you'll be sore (that's a good thing though!) I was terrified of weight lifting when I first started, but I find myself getting stronger every time!
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Totally understandable. There's a bazillion programs out there that will structure a progressive and periodized program for you. You don't need to be a pro to jump into the weights section ... you just need to start... pro comes shortly after.

To get an idea of programs to begin with, check out the stick thread Announcemnts: Most helpful posts: Fitness and Exercise (Must Reads) at the top of this Forum.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Weight training won't do much for weight loss, but it will help you become stronger, more athletic, and better looking. It will also pay large dividends later in life as it helps preserve muscle and bone density.
  • charis458
    charis458 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer trainers to help you figure out the weight equipment and what exercises are best for you. If you aren't familiar with the equipment this is a great thing to do so you do not get injured. But most gyms have weight circuits that describe how each exercise works and help you do it in a manner so you won't get injured
  • MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have downloaded Freeletics Gym app and paid for the 15 weeks coach. There is a video for every exercise. It has you starting off at the light weights and gradually moving up. You don't even have to think about what the workout will be as it is already planned for you with the demo videos. Just tell it how many days you want to train per week, do the initial fitness assessment and off you go. A tailored 15 week programme just for you. P.s. I don't have any affiliation with Freeletics other than being a happy member.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    FWIT I'm going to give Strong Lifts 5x5 a shot. 5 exercises, three done every other day. Seems easy to follow and has received good reviews. Still going to add in assisted pull ups and assisted dips. Never was any good at pull ups.
  • valerialeek
    valerialeek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Omg get on YouTube stat!!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Check out bodybuilding.com They have various programs laid out for different goals and experience levels.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I agree about getting a trainer to show you a few things, you can read/watch videos/listen to everything in the world but nothing compares to having someone actually critique your form in real life. Well worth the $$ for a newbie!!
  • Greyspectre
    Greyspectre Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would start with a program like Strong Lifts to get into a routine. Watch you tube videos for form or get a personal trainer to teach you the basics.

Generally using free weights is superior to using machines. The reason for this is that when using free weights you also build the little stabilizer muscles your body has. These help prevent injury.

Some good exercises and what they work as a general concept:
    Bench Press | Chest |
    Overhead Press | Chest/Shoulders
    Pullup | Back
    Row | Back
    Squat | Legs
    Deadlift | Lower Back & Legs
    Hanging Leg Raises | Core