I dont know how to gain weight :(

Options
Im 5'5 and 108...because I am so tall of course I look way smaller than I am and I am underweight for my height. Please help Im trying to start drinking Ensure plus. With at least one of meals but Im confused on my calories.

Replies

• JillyBeans02201
    Options
    Have you ever met with a nutrition counselor? They might help you strategize your goals a little better and plan your meals. At 5'5", you're really not very underweight, so coming up with a healthy plan to put on weight shouldn't be too hard. Are you hoping to bulk up and add muscle? Or just body weight?
  • leahpohh99
    leahpohh99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No i haven't...but yes I want it to be toned so I want both!:) and really? I thought it waa
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we can feel underweight and look skinny even if we're not medically underweight - I felt that way at 112 pounds and I'm only 5' 3" so I sympathise. This app has helped me - I realised I wasn't eating enough. If you want to gain muscle you'll need to start lifting - there are others on here who can hopefully advise (I'm new to all this!)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    5'5 is not really that tall..............

But like everyone else in the world; to gain weight you need a caloric surplus. Set myfitnesspal up correctly, select your goal as gain 0.5lbs per week, eat this amount of calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    leahpohh99 wrote: »
    Im 5'5 and 108...because I am so tall of course I look way smaller than I am and I am underweight for my height. Please help Im trying to start drinking Ensure plus. With at least one of meals but Im confused on my calories.

Focus on higher calorie foods/drinks and potentially eating more often. A good thread is: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

If you want to make the most out of this, follow a structured lifting program like NROL4W or StrongCurves: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Try to eat foods a little higher in protein (you would benefit from 80-100g per day). And set you calories to gain about 1/2 lb to 1 lb per week. The key is consistency.
  • leahpohh99
    leahpohh99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank yall so much!:)
  • SlimGem9360
    SlimGem9360 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey leapohh99 try looking into a weight gainer like Apetamin for example!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

no, just eat more food.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

no, just eat more food.

Isn't that the point of apetamin - that it increases your appetite so you eat more? I've been tempted to try it because I find it hard to eat large portions but the side effects are off putting.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

no, just eat more food.

Isn't that the point of apetamin - that it increases your appetite so you eat more? I've been tempted to try it because I find it hard to eat large portions but the side effects are off putting.

It can stimulate appetite in some people. Like all drugs, it's not universally potent. If you want less quantity but high calories, aim for higher calorie foods, like the ones in the links I provided. I always say, eat smarter.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Simple as that.
  • skullsnbows
    skullsnbows Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of soda and have ice cream after dinner lol that's what did it for me. Seriously though, try using the Ensure and ice cream and making a milk shake. More calories and it tastes a lot better too. We did this for my aunt who was severely underweight and it helped her immensely because she wouldn't touch the Ensure alone.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I took the Ensure meal replacement when I was losing weight. If you are trying to gain, use it as your beverage WITH your meal.

MFP can help a lot. Put in your goals and start weighing and logging all your food so you get some idea what you are eating now.

High fat foods can add calories without bulk. Cream in your coffee. Full fat yogurts and milk. Dressings on your salad.

To stay toned, include a weight lifting program in your week.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Ensure blended with coffee and ice is yummy.
  • travisk8s
    travisk8s Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of soda and have ice cream after dinner lol that's what did it for me. Seriously though, try using the Ensure and ice cream and making a milk shake. More calories and it tastes a lot better too. We did this for my aunt who was severely underweight and it helped her immensely because she wouldn't touch the Ensure alone.

Don't do this... Soda and ice cream isn't healthy

Eat more dairy though, yogurt, cottage cheese, pudding even. Increase HEALTHY fats into meals n snacks. For example: put nut butter onto apple and banana slices or wholegrrrain crackers. Instead of water choose 100 percent fruit juice, milk or vegetable juice if you have a juicer in your pantry.. Eat strategically. When you sit down for a meal, eat the highest calorie foods first before your stomach is full. Eat ever 3-4 hours howu may have difficulty gaining weight because your appetite is small so don't try to overindulge at meals.

Hope this helps!
  • zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods are what you can use in your meals. Incorporate nut butters, EVOO, avocados, full fat yogurt and milk in your smoothies.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, chocolate and peanut butter. All combined is the best option.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    travisk8s wrote: »

Don't do this... Soda and ice cream isn't healthy

Eat more dairy though, yogurt, cottage cheese, pudding even. Increase HEALTHY fats into meals n snacks. For example: put nut butter onto apple and banana slices or wholegrrrain crackers. Instead of water choose 100 percent fruit juice, milk or vegetable juice if you have a juicer in your pantry.. Eat strategically. When you sit down for a meal, eat the highest calorie foods first before your stomach is full. Eat ever 3-4 hours howu may have difficulty gaining weight because your appetite is small so don't try to overindulge at meals.

Hope this helps!

what is unhealthy about ice cream?
  • TryNaDoBetter
    TryNaDoBetter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    leahpohh99 wrote: »