Anyone 5ft eat fewer than 1200 a day

Options

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I would argue (and have) that in order to lose weight, some of us HAVE to go down to 1200 or even below in order to lose weight IF you are sedentary...but you're not, you exercise quite a bit and are trying to build muscle. Maybe consider body recomp. Eat at maintenance and lift heavy weights...you'll(hopefully) lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

Good luck.
  • ogtmama
    Options
    Also, my toddler and I have vastly different body goals...while he is growing rapidly, I am doing my best to shrink ;) which ends up with us having similar food intake.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advise. The reason I was curious mostly about going up to 1200 is because since I've been weight lifting I've become a lot hungrier. I know muscle helps burn calories at rest so I've been trying to bulk up. I work out 5-6 days a week. Usually 4 days of lifting. Also I agree I don't eat like a toddler. I am the size of a 6th grader, of course I don't eat like a normal sized adult. I also don't shop for normal size adult clothing or take medication at the same amount as an adult because I'm a petite woman. Not everyone is built the same.
  • ashleyx41987
    ashleyx41987 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and was eating on average about 800 calories a day (reallyyy terrible I know. I've been meal skipping since I was a kid), I was gaining weight because my body was stuck in starvation mode. To top it off I was doing 1-2 hr weight lifting sessions about 5-6x a week and eventually my body gave out and my health went to crap. I actually listened to my husband and started eating 1200 calories a day or more to see if it really made a difference and have lost 13 lbs in 6 weeks. I'm no expert but maybe up your calories to 1200 for a few weeks and see how your body reacts. I feel much stronger and have upped my weight and reps at the gym thanks to the extra fuel. Might work for you also.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you want to bulk, then your calories will need to be upped even further, as you need a calorie surplus
  • ogtmama
    edited October 2016
    Options
    People need to stop being offended by the idea of eating like a toddler...they pack it away! Remember that they are not at maintenance for their size, they eat at a massive surplus to fuel rapid brain and muscle growth....And they run from sun up till sun down.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    People need to stop being offended by the idea of eating like a toddler...they pack it away! Remember that they are not at maintenance for their size, they eat at a massive surplus to fuel rapid brain and muscle growth....And they run from sun up till sun down.

It's being told that it's wrong and that I need to "eat like a grown-up" (not his words, just the sentiment) that bothers me.
  • ogtmama
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I know, I just actually know how toddlers eat ;)
  • wwkwag
    wwkwag Posts: 60 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    To the OP, my normal caloric intake is between 1300 and 1900. I would suggest increasing your calories for at least three weeks and see what happens.

@ Aaron, I am just shy of 5' (4'11-3/4") and while I usually always eat more than 1200 calories, I have done 1200 calories and a little less on some days. Unfortunately for those of us who are short, we have to make a lot different choices, I would imagine, than someone who is taller and has a higher TDEE. For me, granola and higher-calorie foods are not something I would choose. I guess you could say I choose quantity over quality. However, here is a day where I ate a little less than 1200 calories. I choose to eat lighter for breakfast and lunch so I can eat more at dinner. The foods I eat hold me over. In my opinion, I wouldn't say this is toddler food.

With this being said, this day here is not a typical day for me but I just wanted to show that 1200 calories can be a good amount of food (in my opinion).

uy6yj0hucger.png

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    mari5466 wrote: »
    I am 5ft tall and I usually eat around 1,000 calories a day because I'm worried because of me height I won't lose weight eating 1200. I excercise 5 days a week and I have been trying to add more muscle to my body and I'm now getting toned. I have 5-8 more pounds to lose but im not sure if I should start eating 1200 or stick to what I've been doing and I want to know what other people my height do.

I'm 5'1" and couldn't imagine eating just 1000-1200 Calories, that's literally half of what I'm eating now (although I am heavier and pretty active). If I were you I'd try eating a little more, maybe at around 1500+, and then seeing where I am in a month, maybe adding in a little extra activity so I could eat even more.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ok - I am just getting back on the wagon...but I have done 1200 calories (I'm 5'1") and done it without starving, especially once I get used to it again. It usually involves a lot of veggies, cutting out a ton of carbs.... Here is an approx. menu...

Breakfast. I slice of Pepperidge farm toast, I slice cheese, egg whites with Spinach, onion and mushroom, Coffee w/cream - abt 300-350 cals.
    Lunch. 3 slices of chicken or turkey. 1/c cottage cheese, One small tomato sliced. (abt 200 cals)
    Dinner I majorly reduce portion of whatever the rest of the family is eating - and add a LARGE salad to it. (For 450-500 cals or so, I get meat, rice/potato, veggies, and salad)
    That leaves me about 200 for a snack/glass of wine/something in the evening.

It's not a ton of food by any means...but it's more than my toddler granddaughter eats! Besides she is growing...I'm trying to shrink! She should eat more...and higher fat and carbs and such for her growing body. You cannot compare an adults needs to a toddlers....
  • SwatiNigam1
    SwatiNigam1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 800-1200 calories a day. I exercise 5 days a week. This is the range I found that helps me lose weight and get toned. Discovered only 2-3 weeks back. And started losing weight much more easily. Before that I tried all kinds of things, and it did not work. I used to be afraid of eating fewer calories, but then read Dr. Michael Mosley's work - the 2 different plans - 5:2, and 800 calories for 2 months, and I mixed everything and invented my own plan that works for me. I also tend to get in the pre-diabetic range if I am not careful, so his work was important to me. I think you will be able to figure out what works best for you.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @Aaron_K123, second @hornsby.
    I thank you for your apology. <3

The world of a petite person can be, at times, difficult to navigate and understand.
    As you can see in the posts above not only can our diet be smaller than average, our clothing sizes can be too. Why can't I find a nice pair of evening shoes for a size 4 foot?

Again, thank you for your apology.

Cheers, h.
  • ogtmama
    Options
    I usually eat between 800-1200 calories a day. I exercise 5 days a week. This is the range I found that helps me lose weight and get toned. Discovered only 2-3 weeks back. And started losing weight much more easily. Before that I tried all kinds of things, and it did not work. I used to be afraid of eating fewer calories, but then read Dr. Michael Mosley's work - the 2 different plans - 5:2, and 800 calories for 2 months, and I mixed everything and invented my own plan that works for me. I also tend to get in the pre-diabetic range if I am not careful, so his work was important to me. I think you will be able to figure out what works best for you.

Yikes! I would consider a little more research...the reason you're losing so easily now or quickly is likely because you're losing way more muscle than you'd like. Losing muscle will make it more difficult to maintain without a permanently tiny calorie allowance. This is why crash diets always end in more gained in the long run than lost in the short term.
  • nickkreitzer
    nickkreitzer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That's my issue as well. I am 5'8 and only eat on average 1100 per day sometimes even less. I am looking to cut but maintain lean muscle mass and not bulk up however like you. I have also added a 3rd cardio day in for a 5x per week gym session but it is working for me. I know I need to eat more productive food but why try and fix what isn't broken right?