Back to Running

Options
Is the whole couch to 5k the best way to truly get back into running form? Should I literally just get on a treadmill and try to run as long as I can a few days a week? I'm really not sure where to start.

I can't remember what I did in basic training other than just run when they told me to run so I'm not sure if there's anything specific I need to watch out for or do.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Do C25K. Having a plan is helpful. Just running haphazardly is not.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I agree with Pondee. Start with the C25k app. That will give your body time to slowly adjust to the stress of running again. The worst thing you can do, is run as far as you can a few days a week. You are setting yourself up for an overuse injury doing something like that.

Start by running three days a week, which the app will do. After 6 months, consider adding another day of running to your schedule.

You want to take the time to slowly build a solid foundation (running base) for running and the app will assist you in that endeavor.

Also, make sure you have the right running shoes. Wearing whatever you can find, or worn out shoes can (and often does) lead to injury.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25K.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, do c25k... if you find that you can do the first week too easily, skip a couple of days
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Don't just jump on the treadmill and go as far as you can.....this is what I did and now injured my knee.

When I'm healed, I will definitely be following the sensible C25K plan
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I've been successful without a program, but I imagine I'd be more successful if I followed a program.
  • DaniDoll57
    DaniDoll57 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and opinions! I wasn't sure if it was a legitimately good plan to follow or not (c25k that is). I hope the same success can be found on a treadmill; I'm nowhere near comfortable running outdoors in public.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I did not do c2k but I was not brave enough to ask for help either. I also did not set out to become a runner as I was walking for exercise. I actually got tired of walking taking me too long to cover 4 miles a day. So I started jogging some, then running some all the way to running half marathons.

So if you need structure and how to's this is good plan to start.

As far as running in public I was the same way.. Trust me, people do not care. I thought I was always going to be looked or gawked at.. its farther from the truth. Once you go outside 1 time, your fears will be over! I think once you get outside to run you might get on the treadmill less. :)

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    DaniDoll57 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your comments and opinions! I wasn't sure if it was a legitimately good plan to follow or not (c25k that is). I hope the same success can be found on a treadmill; I'm nowhere near comfortable running outdoors in public.

Great idea to follow a plan. Running on a treadmill is fine as well. Almost all the runners I know (and that's a LOT of people) use the treadmill often. We continue to include treadmill sessions as a normal part of our run training, whether for convenience, or just for comfort during bad weather.

And I second @RoxieDawn's comments about running in public. No issues there. If you want further proof and support, go to your local running store and join the beginner's running club. There you will see a group of people of all different ages, shapes and sizes, who are just starting out. The other thing you will notice is that every one of them is wearing a smile. So it is an easy way to find a supportive group of people who are at a similar performance level as you. Its a great way to build your running fitness. Good luck.
  • bigmuney
    bigmuney Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Let your body get used to running gradually
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "getting back into running". You mentioned basic - in the general scheme of things you probably didn't run much. If that's the case C25K is decent. It's very conservative. As the name implies, it can take a couch potato and get him running for 30 minutes. If you've got somewhat of a running background - ran a few times per week and could cover some mileage you can skip C25K. It's just going to depend on where you are.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Good info above. One thing to keep in mind as you get back to running form is that your heart and lungs will adapt quicker than bones and muscle. That means that if you just run as long as you can several times per week, you risk a running injury because you'll run more than what your body can handle. This is why C25K is a great way to start...it has a thoughtful progression of running distances (or durations).
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm an on again off again runner so when I go back to C25K I tend to skip some days/weeks. I just used it for the start really.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I can't remember what I did in basic training other than just run when they told me to run so I'm not sure if there's anything specific I need to watch out for or do.

It may have been a few hundred years ago but I seem to recall I had horrible shin splints etc the whole time during basic B)

Follow a plan such as C25K and adapt it to your current fitness level. Most running injuries are a result of trying to do too much, too soon, too fast. Start slow & build gradually, your body will thank you.

• Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "getting back into running". You mentioned basic - in the general scheme of things you probably didn't run much. If that's the case C25K is decent. It's very conservative. As the name implies, it can take a couch potato and get him running for 30 minutes. If you've got somewhat of a running background - ran a few times per week and could cover some mileage you can skip C25K. It's just going to depend on where you are.

This is what I did, just went out and ran about 2 to 3 times a week, slowly building up distance but then I was running 30-50 miles a week before I stopped running and I knew C25k would have been too slow for me.

C25k is a good plan to help you especially if you were not much of a runner before or you've had a really long break.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    C 2 5k is a great program. It is how I learned to pace myself. Without it, I would always try to go too fast and burn out. Running always seemed so hard and boring, but now I look forward to it, especially outdoor runs. Getting properly fitted shoes is also key. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you aren't ready to progress.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    #1 Good shoes from a store with people who know running and offer classes on running

#2 Build strength through squats, lunges and other cardio. I did this for 1-1/2 years never with the intent of running. But I've found I like running as an alternative when I'm away from my regular workout studio. Just finished my first two 5K's at age 53. Oh and a 12 mile tough Mudder.
  • DaniDoll57
    DaniDoll57 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in the military for about five years now so the last time I ran was five years ago :neutral:

And when I say I ran a lot in basic/enlistment I mean I ran way more than I ever did the rest of my life and I enjoyed running when I wasn't under pressure or doing a PT test.

The plan after we move at the end of the month is three nights a week at the gym. I want to start with light cardio to get my heart going, do my strength training for the day and then finish with walking/jogging/running for one to two miles and gradually build.

As stated before, the only running plan I've been introduced to on my own is the one where if I don't run, my drill sergeant is gonna make me wish I did. Since I don't have THAT plan available (and no I'd rather not look for that plan again) I wanted to find something else that could keep me on track.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    We got a new puppy who needs LOTS of exercise. I was walking him for 40+ min twice a day, which left little time in my life for other exercise. I just bought running shoes, started "shuffling" a bit, allowing myself to walk when I wanted, every other day or so. Now he's fine with 45min jog/walks every other day and 20min walks on off days. I'm working on picking up my speed next.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options

In January, I started a Couch to 5k plan as a very overweight person with no past running experience - I ran 3 days a week on the treadmill during the winter months following the plan - once the weather got better I hit the road outside - 9 months later I am up to almost 7 miles - I have run four 5k's and I am doing my first 10k this coming weekend. My experience was excellent following the Couch to 5k plan...

I hope it works for you :) good luck :)